BibleReader

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus was about to expel an unclean spirit from a man, and something may be learned by the dialogue that ensued.  

• Mark 5:8 -11:  “Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!” And Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “My name is Legion, for we are many.” And he begged him earnestly not to send them out of the country."

Why didn't "Legion" want to leave Israel?  Why did Jesus grant his request?

Unclean spirits seem to have power over certain regions and have resisted powerful angels in the past:

•  Daniel 10:13:  "The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia."  
  •  Daniel 10:20:  "Then he said, “Do you know why I have come to you? But now I will return to fight against the prince of Persia; and when I go out, behold, the prince of Greece will come."  

At Matthew 12:43-45, some Bible commentators believe that Jesus was referring to the nation of Israel in the past, whereas others believe that there may be some sort of application of it in the future since the verses refer to the unclean spirits returning.

• Matthew 12:43-45:  "When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order.  Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.”

Here are my questions for you:  What did Jesus mean with the words "this evil generation", was he referring to a specific nation or something else?  If he was referring to a nation, when in history did the unclean spirit return with "seven other spirits more evil than itself", or is it pointing to the future instead of the past?  Lastly, which area on earth are the unclean spirits most interested in today?  

Edited by BibleReader
Fixed the quote of Daniel 10:20

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

9 hours ago, BibleReader said:
  • Matthew 12:43-45:  "When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order.  Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.”

Here are my questions for you:  What did Jesus mean with the words "this evil generation", was he referring to a specific nation or something else?  If he was referring to a nation, when in history did the unclean spirit return with "seven other spirits more evil than itself", or is it pointing to the future instead of the past?  Lastly, which area on earth are the unclean spirits most interested in today?  

Hi BibleReader,

Thanks for the opportunity to study the passage and answer your engrossing questions:

• Firstly Jesus described the unbelieving, unrepentant Jews of His day as an evil and adulterous generation, as did OT prophets in their day.
  • Secondly, by analogy, any collection of apostates can be described as an evil generation.
  • Thirdly, members of the Jewish and Gentile nations have in Christ the opportunity to be delivered from bondage, which they may well take, but unless they are also prepared to have the Spirit of Christ resident in them they will be worse off than before, a fact illustrated in the miraculous birth, ministry, and triumphal entry to Jerusalem of Christ being followed by His betrayal, brutalisation, and crucifixion at the behest of wicked Jewish leaders, whose punishment is promised, as is the punishment of all those who do not repent and reside with Christ.    

The context is provided by the preceding verses where Jesus responds to the insolent demand of the scribes and Pharisees for a sign when they have already witnessed or been informed of His activities, teachings, and miracles, and are still not repentant nor persuaded of His being greater than Jonah or Solomon.   

Mat 12:38-42  Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from you.  (39)  But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:  (40)  For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.  (41)  The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.  (42)  The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

• Demons have degrees of rank and the territories they rule have degrees of importance. Obviously anytime and anywhere that corruption, deception, and exploitation are prevalent it is in conjunction with the activities of demonic entities. Areas of paganism, witchcraft, idolatry, occultism, etc are identifiable when the presence and evidence of regional and individual practitioners and participants are discerned and detected.

Further to the last state being worse than the first, the Fall of Jerusalem 70AD was horrific, as will be the Tribulation and God's Wrath to come:

Rev 16:10-11  And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,  (11)  And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

Thats interesting, i didnt ever know it was a regional spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

Demons are under the command of higher powers of demons. Satan the chief prince of demons. He rules over nations it seems. Isarel has michael as a prince. I think the United States has a good Angel over it. But as we can see there is great battle between Satans ans Michaels hosts. The United States has more demons over it at this point then before.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Further to the last state being worse than the first, the Fall of Jerusalem 70AD was horrific, as will be the Tribulation and God's Wrath to come:

Michael, thanks for your entire well-rounded response.  

I'd like to hone in on what you mention about the great tribulation tying it to the comparison Jesus gave of an unclean spirit coming out of a man (thus the house being swept clean) and then returning with seven spirits more wicked than itself.  Jesus said that "this wicked generation" was that way.  Was he referring to Israel until the future time of the end?  In other words, would there be an apostate Israel in the future that would become worse than it was in the first century when it rejected Jesus Christ?  

Some believe that the Biblical evidence points to that conclusion:

• Luke 21:20-23:  “And when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then you will know that the time of its destruction has arrived. . .For those will be days of God’s vengeance, and the prophetic words of the Scriptures will be fulfilled. . .there will be disaster in the land and great anger against this people."  

Any thoughts on this?  Why will there be "great anger against this people"?  Is it in any way tied to Matthew 12:43-45?  

2 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Demons are under the command of higher powers of demons. Satan the chief prince of demons. He rules over nations it seems. Isarel has michael as a prince. I think the United States has a good Angel over it. But as we can see there is great battle between Satans ans Michaels hosts. The United States has more demons over it at this point then before.

I found this interesting.  What makes you sure that "Israel has Michael as a prince"?  

2 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Demons are under the command of higher powers of demons. 

This statement makes sense. Interestingly, below is word for word what Ephesians 6:12 says in the Westcott and Hort interlinear.  Of course the grammar is a little off because it is a word for word translation from the Greek, but this helps put things in perspective as far as your comment goes.  

• Ephesians 6:12 (Westcott and Hort Interlinear):  "BECAUSE NOT IS TO US THE WRESTLING TOWARD BLOOD AND FLESH, BUT TOWARD THE GOVERNMENTS, TOWARD THE AUTHORITIES, TOWARD THE WORLD MIGHTY ONES OF THE DARKNESS THIS, TOWARD THE SPIRITUAL (THINGS) OF THE WICKEDNESS IN THE HEAVENLY [PLACES]."  

So the verse doesn't seem to be describing flesh and blood "governments", but rather, invisible wicked spirit governments established under Satan's rule.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, BibleReader said:

Michael, thanks for your entire well-rounded response.  

I'd like to hone in on what you mention about the great tribulation tying it to the comparison Jesus gave of an unclean spirit coming out of a man (thus the house being swept clean) and then returning with seven spirits more wicked than itself.  Jesus said that "this wicked generation" was that way.  Was he referring to Israel until the future time of the end?  In other words, would there be an apostate Israel in the future that would become worse than it was in the first century when it rejected Jesus Christ?  

Some believe that the Biblical evidence points to that conclusion:

• Luke 21:20-23:  “And when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then you will know that the time of its destruction has arrived. . .For those will be days of God’s vengeance, and the prophetic words of the Scriptures will be fulfilled. . .there will be disaster in the land and great anger against this people."  

Any thoughts on this?  Why will there be "great anger against this people"?  Is it in any way tied to Matthew 12:43-45?  

If you have time to study the events leading up to the 70AD Siege & Fall of Jerusalem in detail it could give you more insight into many of the Scriptures prior to that time. The city became seriously evil as Jews became bitterly divided about Roman control. The murderous zealots were fanatically intent on armed insurrection and would think nothing of assassinating anyone who opposed them such as the Jewish aristocracy who wanted to retain the privileges and favours which their co-operation with Rome earned them. 

Think about these words of Jesus, "And when you shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies," .

How is it possible to see this unless it happens in your lifetime?

Luk 21:20-24  And when you shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.  (21)  Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.  (22)  For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.  (23)  But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.  (24)  And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Also think about all the times God has allowed Gentiles to overcome Jews. It goes way back, and the OT is full of warnings that wickedness will bring God's wrath.

The local, immediate events of fulfilled prophecy, such as the 70AD Fall of Jerusalem, can also be viewed as templates for future events due to the typology and pattern of God's righteous dealing with mankind's increasing wickedness.  

I regard the passage about demons returning 7-fold as more of a parable than an actual, literal moment in history, but the application and truth is that as the evil scribes and Pharisees increased in wickedness so did their condemnation, and all this can be attributed to their demonic darkness.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

On 4/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, BibleReader said:

Jesus was about to expel an unclean spirit from a man, and something may be learned by the dialogue that ensued.  

• Mark 5:8 -11:  “Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!” And Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “My name is Legion, for we are many.” And he begged him earnestly not to send them out of the country."

Why didn't "Legion" want to leave Israel?  Why did Jesus grant his request?

Interesting point... but actually they weren't in Israel at the time. Jesus was on the east side of Lake Galilee, in Decapolis. It was a thoroughly Gentile area.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

Interesting point... but actually they weren't in Israel at the time. Jesus was on the east side of Lake Galilee, in Decapolis. It was a thoroughly Gentile area.

Thank you so much for this observation, you are absolutely right and I sincerely apologize for not catching this.   

So the miraculous cures Jesus performed in Decapolis in another account, were they in behalf of Israelites or non-Israelites?  

• Mark 7:31-37:  "Then he returned from the region of Tyre and went through Sidon to the Sea of Galilee, in the region of the Decapolis. 32 And they brought to him a man who was deaf and had a speech impediment, and they begged him to lay his hand on him. 33 And taking him aside from the crowd privately, he put his fingers into his ears, and after spitting touched his tongue. 34 And looking up to heaven, he sighed and said to him, “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.” 35 And his ears were opened, his tongue was released, and he spoke plainly. 36 And Jesus[h] charged them to tell no one. But the more he charged them, the more zealously they proclaimed it. 37 And they were astonished beyond measure, saying, “He has done all things well. He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”

I suppose there was a considerable Jewish presence in Decapolis.  Any thoughts?