Amigo42

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I was studying the other day and came to a realization that I haven't really given much thought to in the past.  I believe some Christians focus too much on inerrancy or perfection of the scriptures instead of the overall arch of truth of those scriptures.  Is every story in the Bible accurate and without error.  I don't believe so.  Do I trust the Bible?  Yes I do because I don't want to get caught up on the weeds.  

However, we must remember that the Bible is a collection of stories that were written down after centuries and maybe a millennium.  Before that they were orally transmitted.  God is perfect, but humans are not so there will always be a degree of imperfection in anything that we touch.  However, that's ok.  God does use imperfect and flawed people to get his message to the world.  It's good to have an answer to well informed skeptics and those who will challenge you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, Amigo42 said:

I was studying the other day and came to a realization that I haven't really given much thought to in the past.  I believe some Christians focus too much on inerrancy or perfection of the scriptures instead of the overall arch of truth of those scriptures.  Is every story in the Bible accurate and without error.  I don't believe so.  Do I trust the Bible?  Yes I do because I don't want to get caught up on the weeds.  

However, we must remember that the Bible is a collection of stories that were written down after centuries and maybe a millennium.  Before that they were orally transmitted.  God is perfect, but humans are not so there will always be a degree of imperfection in anything that we touch.  However, that's ok.  God does use imperfect and flawed people to get his message to the world.  It's good to have an answer to well informed skeptics and those who will challenge you.

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you,

that God is light,

and in him is no darkness at all"
1 John 1:5

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,
for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

2 Timothy 3:16-17

• Thumbs Up 2

Is the book of Jonah literal or a  parable of sorts.  Was there a worldwide?  Yes, I believe there was due to the untold number of flood stories across all cultures and background.  Is the Bible's version the most correct?  I believe it sounds the most logical, but it may represent a real world event that occurred before written language was created.  Did the flood destroy all except for a few souls.  I don't know.  Maybe a hundred people survived.  Maybe it was a thousand. Maybe a million.  I don't know.  However, the Biblical story represents a truth that really occurred at some point regardless if the details.

2 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Pardon me, but you seem like a skeptic yourself.

I am one  of those who believe what the Bible says about itself.  

• That is was penned by a many human beings.
  • That is was WRITTEN by the Holy Spirit who "inspired" these human beings on what to say.

I am also one of those who believes that when the Bible speaks of a person by name - that the story is true.  Yes, the story of Jonah is true.  Is it the whale part that throws you?

For goodness sakes, Jesus Christ said the story of Jonah was true!

Yes, the whole earth full of people died in the Flood. Only 8 survived.

Why would the Bible NOT be true?

Hi thank you for your response.  I'm definitely not a skeptic, but I'm also just being honest.  Stories are sometimes changed when retold over decades.  That doesn't mean we can't have confidence in the overall message of the Bible.  Jesus came and died as our sacrifice so that we can be saved.  Amen!

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

This is called a 'whale shark fish'. Quite possibly what Jonah met. Kids can play on the backs of these fish.

whale shark fish.jpg

Edited by Justin Adams

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, Amigo42 said:

Is the book of Jonah literal or a  parable of sorts.  Was there a worldwide?  Yes, I believe there was due to the untold number of flood stories across all cultures and background.  Is the Bible's version the most correct

"Is the Bible's version the most correct?"

If you haven't decided about that and have faith in the scriptures, why would you believe what it says.
Can you answer this;   Do you believe Jesus is God?
Do you believe Jesus has come in the flesh?

2 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

1393728798_whalesharkfish.jpg.ad4c7fa2090476b5717b6aa782cfd0cc.jpg

This is called a 'whale shark fish'. Quite possibly what Jonah met. Kid can play on the backs of these fish.

whale shark fish.jpg

whale shark fish.jpg

That's very interesting.  I have no doubt in God's power.  He can certainly do that.  He has creation power.  I just don't know if the story was originally understood as literal or like a parable.  We don't know even wrote it.  It could've been priestly scribes.  That doesn't mean the story is not true.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Sower said:

"Is the Bible's version the most correct?"

If you haven't decided about that and have faith in the scriptures, why would you believe what it says.
Can you answer this;   Do you believe Jesus is God?
Do you believe Jesus has come in the flesh?

I believe Jesus is the Son of God and our Atonement.  I don't believe He is literally the Father because he never claimed to be. Jesus always deferred to the Father. However, I don't need him to be God to be my Savior.  The prophecy states that God has given him power.

“I was watching in the night visions,
And behold, One like the Son of Man,
Coming with the clouds of heaven!
He came to the Ancient of Days,
And they brought Him near before Him.
14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom,
That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion,
Which shall not pass away,
And His kingdom the one
Which shall not be destroyed." (Daniel 7:13-14)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Once you have discounted the inerrancy of God's word, you have left the reservation.

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

The lesson here to be learned is that just because something does not make sense to you, does not mean it is untrue, it just means it does not make sense to you.

God's word is truth, it is inerrant, it is LIFE

It was written by men, but inspired by the Holy Spirit, and even after have been written over a period longer than 1000 years, it is perfect and harmonious from beginning to end, and no group of men could that. Mohammed couldn't keep his own word straight over 40 years.

Time to get humble my friend and bow to the greater intellect and wisdom of God.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 2