• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/14/1971

The Bible says, that "self affliction" or "afflicting our souls" (fasting) is a way of humbling ourselves before God. It's not the only way, but definitely a biblical way. There are many spiritual benefits for fasting, usually for ourselves and denying ourselves for our walk with God. I know some would explain that there are different types of fasts, which with some study, there are. The fasting I am referring to is 'only drinking water or tea. No food of any kind' is what I am talking aboit. I don't want to get into a discussion of the types of fastinga.

My question to you is, have you secretly prayed and fasted for someone else? A certain brother/sister in the Lord? So they can have/experience that supernatural event or breakthrough. I am talking about a straight up miracle in their lives.

If you have, what are some details and how did it turn out?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Read Isiah 58.  You will see about fasting for others and why.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Walty said:

The Bible says, that "self affliction" or "afflicting our souls" (fasting) is a way of humbling ourselves before God. It's not the only way, but definitely a biblical way. There are many spiritual benefits for fasting, usually for ourselves and denying ourselves for our walk with God. I know some would explain that there are different types of fasts, which with some study, there are. The fasting I am referring to is 'only drinking water or tea. No food of any kind' is what I am talking aboit. I don't want to get into a discussion of the types of fastinga.

My question to you is, have you secretly prayed and fasted for someone else? A certain brother/sister in the Lord? So they can have/experience that supernatural event or breakthrough. I am talking about a straight up miracle in their lives.

If you have, what are some details and how did it turn out?

How long do u fast by drinking only ?

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

There is nothing wrong with fasting, and it has its time and place in the Christian life, however Jesus reiterated that the essential means to answered prayer is by faith, not fasting. A wholesome fast is a lifestyle of serving others and living for God. As Christians, this is what the Lord requires of us; to do justly, show mercy and to walk humbly with Him. Per the Isaiah 58 passage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fasting is an excellent thing for health of mind, body and spirit. 

To lose weight I am currently on one meal a day, just lunch. I find by evening an empty stomach brings clarity of mind for prayer, reading and a deep sleep. It is cleansing and releases me to rest fully. 

I know maybe that may be a bit off the point as I am looking at the health angle really but, a good clear mind, body and spirit is important to bring peace and ability to connect to God's Word. I think a lot of people eat too much and mindlessly, this ruins health. I aim to grow in self discipline and fasting is I find a good way. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Isaiah chapter 58 deals with a time when the sins of the Jews were heavy.  Instead of sincerely repenting, they made a pretense of worshiping God, giving him lip service and performing religious acts or practices for show. Fasting was one such practice, and they thought it should gain them divine notice and favor.  For fasting to be legitimate in God's eyes, we would need avoid the formalistic trappings so often accompanying fasting and focus on the spiritual clarity of thought it provides us for us to better avoid sin.

Still, fasting, is a personal choice for Christians and we are neither under command to fast nor prohibited from doing so (See Romans 14:5, 6.)

On another topic, I fast every other day, but that is for weight control, not for spiritual reasons.  Interestingly, I have noticed a little more mental acuity on those days, which provides some evidence for the over-all benefits of fasting.

It really doesn't matter whether a person has one sin or multiple sins in their lives... any sin hinders our relationship with God. Christians today in general speaking aren't different in thought, attitude, and action than the folks in bible times. We as humans act just the same today as we did back then, and fast in the same ways as folks did back in Isaiah's day. Some for the right reasons and some for the wrong reasons. So scriptures weren't just speaking to people way back in bible times. God's written word is living and breathing, and is just as much useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness today as it was in the Old and New Testament times.

A lot of people feel that they are expected to be already perfect in their walk and when it doesn't happen as expected they think they are missing out on something or backsliding. Sanctification is a process, continuing throughout or lifetime. And God is pleased to work through the process slow and steady, with His work taking deeper roots in us than the rash snap of a divine finger. We need to rest in that when we believe and trust Christ that we are justified in his sight and trust that He will indeed get us there as promised. When we expect too much of ourselves, we become frustrated and fail far from what was intended if we try to push it. Be patient with yourself, God's timing in sanctifying is not meaningless, and He has a sure and steady plan. We will gradually grow in grace. You will get there. God is NOT done with you. It is a lifetime process.

As has already been mentioned, fasting is not a requirement or expectation on anyone's part. Scripture does not demand it of us. Rather, it is a voluntary response of the heart and attitude towards God. If there is a serious need in our hearts or lives, a fast serves to show us the reality of our own insufficiency in ourselves and redirect the focus onto God and our reliance on him. Away from other things and the hubbub of our daily routines and activities in our lives.

There are individuals that due to health reason's should not do a food fast. We can demonstrate privately to God in other ways the humility and humbleness in our hearts. Prayer is a greater need than fasting, and is far more important than fasting. Fasting, then, becomes legalistic and shows self-righteousness when we as individuals require and/ or demand others emulate. Nor should we view it as some sort of special feat or demonstration of our ability to forego food. It should be a private activity between a person and God. Without a real serious need or spiritual purpose, it becomes nothing more than a ritual that one practices making themselves feel good.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/14/1971

Anything we do, can become "legalistic" with the wrong attitude, especially fasting. Fasting is a biblical way of self humbling ourselves. "When we pray" as Paul wrote it, the expectation is that we should pray. He says the same "When we fast" setting the expectation that when we fast. 

Yes, fasting isn't a requirement for salvation, and it should never be. To humble ourselves before God is part of getting rid of self, our own strength, our own agendas, our own pride. This humbling can be done another way except by fasting, but fasting, done correctly; meaning to keep it a very private thing between you & God, should be done with the right attitude.

Anyone who states we don't need to fast, to me, yes is correct, however shows a lack of experience in this subject. You will never know, if you don't really fast. 

There is a deepness, a closeness, where visions, miracles, and the supernatural are present. Nothing to brag, for God knows our hearts, because we shouldn't have the attitude to brag, but to experience something only between God and ourselves.

On 6/24/2021 at 8:00 PM, appy said:

Fasting, then, becomes legalistic and shows self-righteousness when we as individuals require and/ or demand others emulate.