• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 6/30/2021 at 11:45 AM, AandW_Rootbeer said:

I would be shocked to find anyone not ashamed of their past when it came to the subject of slavery.

Well, hello Mr. Rootbeer.   Being 74, I went through my teen years in the 60's when there was real racism rampant everywhere.   My ancestors on my fathers side of the Family being native American, we understood the value of life.    Black people were prized possessions back in the 1700s and 1800s by a relitive small number of citizens in the South, but they just wanted Native Americans dead.   So keep in mind that there is something worse than slavery.

also, because of my heritage I was never prejudice against any people even though I saw it everywhere in the 60s I have not done anything to be ashamed of and am not.

The history of slavery in the US is not a pretty thing to look into and should have never happened, but it was the British governing people that let it happen, not the Government of the USA formed in 1776.   Interestingly, the first non-indentured slave owner in the Colonies was black himself.  Until March of 1665 all slaves in what turned into the USA were indentured and were released after seven years.

It was a black man that started lifetime slavery in what turned into the USA and when this country was formed all but three states wanted to abolish slavery.   It took us 100 years to accomplish that, but it was done.

You are going to find people prejudice against all kinds of things in this world.  I've been obese at one time in my life and can tell you that there are people who are seriously prejudice against fat people too.  And it can keep you from getting jobs and making friends.

While the Bible does not forbid slavery, I don't think it is right for it to exist outside of voluntary indentured type for an agreed on period of time.

I will say that the worst thing you can do to dark skinned people is to convince them that they are victims and don't have a chance and there is nothing they can do about it. That keeps them from succeeding in life in any real way..

I have a black acquaintance that tells of his experiences in life.  He is a very successful businessman with a family that is also successful offspring.    He will tell you that he is proud of his ancestors who were captured by black people, sold to Islamic or Dutch people and brought to the US as slaves.   They were a very proud and sturdy people to be able to withstand the rigors of slavery and keep their DNA lines going until it reached him.   He says that he is thankful that his ancestors were brought here or he would probably be running around central Africa with a bone in his nose.    The difference between him and the race baiters today is that he did not consider himself a victim and he was certainly not helpless.  His black mother taught him the value of an education and hard work and morals.  That should happen in all families.

Why doesn't it?   Who is perpetuating keeping Black Folks down? Who is making them victims and telling them it's useless to try?    That is a very long discussion

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, other one said:

Well, hello Mr. Rootbeer.   Being 74, I went through my teen years in the 60's when there was real racism rampant everywhere.   My ancestors on my fathers side of the Family being native American, we understood the value of life.    Black people were prized possessions back in the 1700s and 1800s by a relitive small number of citizens in the South, but they just wanted Native Americans dead.   So keep in mind that there is something worse than slavery.

also, because of my heritage I was never prejudice against any people even though I saw it everywhere in the 60s I have not done anything to be ashamed of and am not.

The history of slavery in the US is not a pretty thing to look into and should have never happened, but it was the British governing people that let it happen, not the Government of the USA formed in 1776.   Interestingly, the first non-indentured slave owner in the Colonies was black himself.  Until March of 1665 all slaves in what turned into the USA were indentured and were released after seven years.

It was a black man that started lifetime slavery in what turned into the USA and when this country was formed all but three states wanted to abolish slavery.   It took us 100 years to accomplish that, but it was done.

You are going to find people prejudice against all kinds of things in this world.  I've been obese at one time in my life and can tell you that there are people who are seriously prejudice against fat people too.  And it can keep you from getting jobs and making friends.

While the Bible does not forbid slavery, I don't think it is right for it to exist outside of voluntary indentured type for an agreed on period of time.

I will say that the worst thing you can do to dark skinned people is to convince them that they are victims and don't have a chance and there is nothing they can do about it. That keeps them from succeeding in life in any real way..

I have a black acquaintance that tells of his experiences in life.  He is a very successful businessman with a family that is also successful offspring.    He will tell you that he is proud of his ancestors who were captured by black people, sold to Islamic or Dutch people and brought to the US as slaves.   They were a very proud and sturdy people to be able to withstand the rigors of slavery and keep their DNA lines going until it reached him.   He says that he is thankful that his ancestors were brought here or he would probably be running around central Africa with a bone in his nose.    The difference between him and the race baiters today is that he did not consider himself a victim and he was certainly not helpless.  His black mother taught him the value of an education and hard work and morals.  That should happen in all families.

Why doesn't it?   Who is perpetuating keeping Black Folks down? Who is making them victims and telling them it's useless to try?    That is a very long discussion

Interesting additional information on your slave-owning black man.

"The Curious History of Anthony Johnson: From Captive African to Right-wing Talking Point"

I just hope no one thinks I am trying to justify slavery for that is far from my beliefs....    But people that are alive today are not responsible for slavery being here.  There isn't anything to be ashamed of by folks today.

Actually it is told in family history that I had relatives that died in the civil war that freed slaves to an extent.  So if I need anything it would be a thank you.    The only thing I want is to be friends with everyone.

What is happening, race wise, today is counter productive and is setting race relations back decades.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  586
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, Ozarkbound said:

I would be shocked if I could find a person who should be ashamed when it came to the subject of slavery. They would have to be over 156 years old.

Agreed!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  586
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

5 hours ago, other one said:

It's interesting that a few years ago the Black Communities suddenly wanted to be labelled as African Americans.   I read recently that has changed back to wanting to be called Black.   I am positive many understand better what Africans ultimately did.   Many don't yet and we are seeing some real issues today.   But no doubt, American Black Citizens are becoming well aware of what Africa and its people have done to them.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,446
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

On 7/1/2021 at 4:33 AM, Amigo42 said:

Thank you for this information.  That's very interesting.  I didn't realize that there was history there prior to the British.

well now you know. Glad to be of some assitance to you :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

On 7/4/2021 at 7:32 AM, other one said:

He says that he is thankful that his ancestors were brought here or he would probably be running around central Africa with a bone in his nose. 

Geez!  Tell it like you mean it, why don't ya!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

19 hours ago, AandW_Rootbeer said:

It's interesting that a few years ago the Black Communities suddenly wanted to be labelled as African Americans.   I read recently that has changed back to wanting to be called Black.   I am positive many understand better what Africans ultimately did.   Many don't yet and we are seeing some real issues today.   But no doubt, American Black Citizens are becoming well aware of what Africa and its people have done to them.

I believe it was Jesse Jackson, who coined the new term, African American.  It makes sense, if you look at it from a subconscious level.  When one thinks of the word "black" negative images come to mind like darkness, halloween, scary, etc.  So, I believe in the minds of the Europeans, it was the same principal.  I believe that the sight of dark-skinned Africans who were tall and some but not all warrior-like, was enough to make them feel somewhat apprehensive.  Subjugating the Africans was in a sense overcompensating for the this fear of these dark-skinned people from another continent.  So, the term African American is more technically accurate.  In reality, black is not even a race, it's just a color.  An Indian person or middle easterner could be black but not necessarily of African descent.  The term African American more clearly distinguishes someone's cultural ancestry.

I think "African American" is simply just too many syllables, LoL.

How about if I ask to be called "Dutch German Irish Native American" every time people refer to me.

This will never go away until we just call each other "Americans" period.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

Am I less racist in the summertime when I get tanned a bit?

• Haha 1