• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  5

On 7/3/2021 at 6:26 PM, Hopefully said:

If anyone is counting on strangers online and not God they will have problems.

Some specifics we don’t have teachings on and must use our conscious. We don’t have teachings on what to do if we remarry without knowing it’s considered adultery. For the record I’m not remarried lest anyone think I’m making excuses for myself.

The advice I have for the others is from me. The Lord did not give us any teaching about this. If you have a wife who is not a believer, you should not divorce her if she will continue to live with you. And if you have a husband who is not a believer, you should not divorce him if he will continue to live with you. But if the husband or wife who is not a believer decides to leave, let them leave. When this happens, the brother or sister in Christ is free. God chose you to have a life of peace.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:12-13, 15‬ ‭ERV‬‬

This is an example of a decision made from a holy spirt led conscious and it’s one where a person will not be counted guilty for remarriage although the first one did not end due to sexual sin or death of the first spouse. 

Again I believe there is mercy for those who did not realize what they were doing and who will confess their sin to Jesus and repent by not divorcing again or being unfaithful. 

This is what my spirit believes is true but again if a person is making soul placing decisions by listening to strangers online verses seeking God they will have problems.

Amen to your post sister.  

First I want to say that sin is a very serious matter to the Lord....going against His commands does real damage to our walk and relationship with Him....there are consequences to sin that may never be rectified.

However I also want to say that because we are not under the letter of the Law but under grace and serving in the new way of the Spirit....there are situations in life that may require judging, ie, weighing and considering all the factors of the situation....and God is our righteous judge....so there are circumstances that require us to inquire of Him.  I heard someone say that in cases where an adulterous marriage takes place and years go by and children are born in that marriage....that those spouses need to divorce or separate, breaking up that family.  When I asked the Lord about it, He didn't answer right away, but after a time He answered with one word - MERCY - He let me know there is grace for situations like that.

Sometimes it's a situation where you just can't undo what has been done...it would do more harm than good...it's just not possible to put the toothpaste back in the tube.  But the parties involved do need to seriously and sincerely repent in order to make things right with God...as well as ask forgiveness of the former spouse who was wronged if that is the situation. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.03

6 hours ago, David1701 said:

Ezra chapter 10

I read and understand what you mean, but things are a bit different now. From what I can see because of Christ we can become right in certain situations. 

“Christ is the reason we are now at peace. He made us Jews and you who are not Jews one people. We were separated by a wall of hate that stood between us, but Christ broke down that wall. By giving his own body, Christ ended the law with its many commands and rules. His purpose was to make the two groups become one in him. By doing this he would make peace. Through the cross Christ ended the hate between the two groups. And after they became one body, he wanted to bring them both back to God. He did this with his death on the cross. So now you non-Jewish people are not visitors or strangers, but you are citizens together with God’s holy people. You belong to God’s family.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:14-16, 19‬ ‭

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.33

15 hours ago, David1701 said:

Has someone who continues in an adulterous remarriage really repented of the adultery at all?  Since the remarriage itself is an adulterous relationship, then, in order to repent, would that adulterous relationship not need to end?

As far as ten years and three children later is concerned, the practical and emotional matters are distinct from right and wrong.

See a different (but emotionally and practically relevant) matter, to do with wrong marriages (although not adulterous ones)  - Ezra chapter 10.

Ezra 10 is a lesson and ensample for the church of repenting and turning away from being one with the unbelieving world and its idolatries. 

We are under a Law of love now:

1Co 7:12

But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her.

And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

On 7/1/2021 at 3:52 AM, johnthebaptist said:

As far as I know, no. I'm not aware that abuse is grounds for remarriage (Matthew 19:9).

I have to agree with you on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  910
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,667
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

19 hours ago, Kenny'sID said:

Ars you saying because there is so much wrong in the world, then it is OK to divorce? 

You say two wrongs don't make a right, then you turn right around and strongly indicate they do.

Are you ignoring the gist / balance of the totality of what I said?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

46 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Are you ignoring the gist / balance of the totality of what I said?

No, not at all, it was a simple question, and if you'd prefer not to answer, that's fine, but I will be inclined to belive that may be the case.

It's just that I've seen the attitude before, and feel that because there is so much bad in the world, it's dangerous to just throw our hands up, and make any of that bad OK.

Wouldn't you agree?

Edited by Kenny'sID

• Topic Count:  910
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,667
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

2 minutes ago, Kenny'sID said:

No, not at all, it was a simple question, and if you'd prefer not to answer, that's fine, but I will be inclined to belive that may be the case.

It's just that I've seen the attitude before, and feel that because there is so much bad in the world, it's dangerous to just throw our hands up, and make any of that bad OK.

Wouldn't you agree?

Not at all. I cited the lives of men who (even under the Law) did not ascribe to the ideal situations meted out by the Law and were blessed and considered to be pillars in the faith (Hebrews 11).

I believe I more than answered your question.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

34 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Not at all. I cited the lives of men who (even under the Law) did not ascribe to the ideal situations meted out by the Law and were blessed and considered to be pillars in the faith (Hebrews 11).

I believe I more than answered your question.

So when you say "No, not at all", I can only assume that was in answer to my question, "Don't you agree?". So, am I correct in assuming you disagree, and that more bad is OK because there is so much bad in the world? If not, what exactly are you disagreeing with?

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus' words on divorce are strongly tied to the argument of the time between the teachings of Hillel and Shammai. Hillel and his adherents said that a man could divorce a wife for almost any frivolous reason whereas those adherents of Shammai said that was wrong, which was affirmed by Jesus. Also the OT law had five reasons for divorce. I found this document which discusses the matter. I don't know anything about the author, but seems like a reasonable summary of the issue.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,179
  • Content Per Day:  9.52
  • Days Won:  149

The whole thing gives me a dirty feeling reading over it all. Unfortunately I went through it as an unwilling participant years ago. It's just as dirty as reading over the implications of it might suggest. It's a horrible thing no matter how you slice it. 

What are the implications when a person does something they know is wrong, when the whole time they are thinking to themselves that God will forgive them for it? If everyone gets off the hook with no repercussions why have the biblical instructions in the first place?

If I kill, God will forgive me

If I lie, God will forgive me

If I commit adultery, God will forgive me.

Is this what people are thinking when they do these things?

I still live in close proximity to the other party that was involved. Let me tell you their life isn't the kind of life anyone would want. What goes around surely does come around. To this day I've never received an " I'm sorry" though I have forgiven and moved on. 

A brother in the Lord recently reminded me of God's providence, that God uses things we think are bad to our benefit.  I can say without any doubt God used these events to further bless me. I would never have chosen the path He put me on or even imagined it. 

• Thumbs Up 1