• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,446
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

On 7/2/2021 at 1:43 AM, anynmsfmly said:

Did you mean is marrying a divorcee Ok in the Bible if there was not abuse, and not, Because of abuse ? Is that correct ?

I meant the divorce happened not because of abuse or adultery

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/30/2021 at 1:33 AM, SIC said:

Let me clarify further.

In your opinion is marrying a divorcee whose divorce happened not because of abuse or adultery biblically permitted?

One can't unscramble scrambled eggs.  I think Christians put too much emphasis on whether it's a sin.  I believe that God does not prefer spouses to divorce unless it becomes unhealthy.  However, after a divorce I don't believe God expects one to live in solitude and loneliness for life. God gave us all common sense, so we can't overread into specific statements in scripture.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

On 6/30/2021 at 1:19 AM, appy said:

An unbeliever that wants to leave the marriage, the Christian in such case, is free to remarry because he or she did not initiate the abandonment and did not want the divorce. He or she is an innocent party.

I've already mentioned back on the first page of the thread the above as a reason for a divorced person to be free to remarry, aside from abuse or adultery. Especially if the unbelieving spouse remarried. There is no hope for reconciliation of the marriage. We can safely assume that an unbeliever is NOT going to abstain from dating and remarrying soon after a divorce. The marriage has been severed not only by the divorce, but also by the unbelieving spouse remarrying. The Christian is no longer bound to the unbelieving spouse.

1 Corinthians 7:15
But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

There are people that are divorced, even though they did not want the divorce. A situation in which a believer leaves a marriage for whatever reason other than adultery or abuse; and all attempts to salvage the marriage has failed, and a divorce is final. Once a divorce is final, there is no hope of reconciliation. That leaves the other party innocent that tried to save the marriage and did NOT want the divorce. The innocent party should then be free to remarry, specially if the one that wanted to leave has remarried.

This can't be said about an individual that walked away from the marriage for frivolous reasons.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,446
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

4 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

One can't unscramble scrambled eggs.  I think Christians put too much emphasis on whether it's a sin.  I believe that God does not prefer spouses to divorce unless it becomes unhealthy.  However, after a divorce I don't believe God expects one to live in solitude and loneliness for life. God gave us all common sense, so we can't overread into specific statements in scripture.

'Unhealthy' is such an ambiguous term isn't it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,656
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The biblically ideal is that no person is ever exposed to any sexual deviation other than what the Creator intended and commissioned. That includes no exposure to sexual situations for children, no fornication before marriage, no infidelity in marriage... no lust or sexual exposure (including exposed skin and body parts) in any stage of life except between a husband and a wife in private.

This is not the world we live in. Especially in recent generations. 

Does one wrong make another right? No. But why single out divorce? Why not public nudity which includes:

Isaiah 47:1–3 (AV)
1 Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate.
2 Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.
3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.

Or lust:

Matthew 5:27–30 (AV)
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Is the sin of divorce the sin against the Holy Spirit? ← the one sin God will not forgive (which in fact is the sin of unbelief in Jesus see John 3:18b).

I am appalled by the needles suffering and false image of God people have because "believers" / "Christians" / ignorant believers / Christians impose the ideal Law of Moses on people God has long established hi Grace of forgiveness for. Sheesh!

Abraham predated the Law but was as subject to it as we are today (think of the Law of Moses as the law of gravity and the Law of Grace as the law of aerodynamics). You flub Grace you gonna get Law immediately.

Abraham committed adultery in having several wives as did Jacob, David, Solomon. Ah... but the old Roman Catholic standard takes precedent over the word of God, doesn't it? ... no divorce, no suicide... etc.

God did not initially intend divorce under any circumstance...

Matthew 19:3–8 (AV)
3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Was Hagar not a wife of Abraham? Yet Abraham put her away at the behest of Sarah and the confirmation of YHVH. 

Point being... divorce and remarriage are tough enough already. Add to it a Church body hellbent of imposing Old Testament Law upon New Testament Grace... and people leave the Church / never consider Christ seriously... and they join the rest of the word in endless fornication rather than what God provided for our sexual needs: marriage! 1 Corinthians 7:9

1 John 1:5 - 1 John 2:17 ← read a s a block of text over and over until you understand Grace...

1 John 1:9 (AV)
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

the Greek tense of the underscored is that he is forgiving / has already forgiven / will continue to forgive... 

Hebrews 9:26 (AV)
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Hebrews 10:10 (AV)
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:2 (AV)
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

Are there sins? Absolutely. Do we sin? Without a doubt. But the sacrifice of Christ cleanses believers from all sin.

Are there consequences for sins? Totally but entirely in this life. You get fresh with a man's wife you will get a punch in the nose (if you're lucky). You cut off your nose to spite your face, it won't grow back...

Divorce is the tearing asunder of two souls that became one.  Marrying a divorcee is to marry into a situation with emotional, parental baggage.

Okay.

So, let's get off our spiritual high horses and stop judging the wrong way and assess these hurting people need our help and support. For the sake of Jesus Christ in their lives and ours.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

1 hour ago, SIC said:

'Unhealthy' is such an ambiguous term isn't it?

Yes, it is somewhat, but reasons that are valid for divorce are sometimes ambiguous.  I believe that God judges circumstances, and only he truly knows what is going on in someone's soul.  If spouses are constantly arguing in front of children, I'd say this is an unhealthy relationship.  Our relationship with God is most important, so if an earthly relationship is impacting that, it needs to be evaluated regardless of whether there was infidelity.  There are various common sense reasons for divorce that are not necessarily outlined in the Bible, but again God gave us common sense to use our wisdom and judgment.  On the flip side, on the extreme spectrum, a person may get divorced for no valid reason at all or just because he or she wants to be with a younger person or is getting bored.  I think this is unacceptable to God, but even in this circumstance, people should repent and then ask God for guidance in future relationships.  I do not believe even in that scenario that God expects one to live in solitude and loneliness for life.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

2 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

There are various common sense reasons for divorce that are not necessarily outlined in the Bible, but again God gave us common sense to use our wisdom and judgment.

God gave us the one reason for divorce, and common sense tells me to stick with that and common sense also tells me, we should not get into the habit of doing what God has told us not to do, all in the name of common sense....very dangerous.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.

God had directed our path on divorce.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

This is not the world we live in. Especially in recent generations. 

Does one wrong make another right? No. But why single out divorce? Why not public nudity which includes:

Ars you saying because there is so much wrong in the world, then it is OK to divorce? 

You say two wrongs don't make a right, then you turn right around and strongly indicate they do.

Edited by Kenny'sID

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

On 7/3/2021 at 10:03 PM, Hopefully said:

My conscious tells me if one has married a divorcee and they “later” find out God does not allow it, but confess their sin snd ask for forgiveness he will forgive them. To repent adultery  they would then want to stay married and not divorce or be unfaithful.

I don’t believe if a person marries a divorcee and reads scripture about it 10 years and 3 kids later that God would want them to divorce but to realize their mistake, confess, and repent.

When we confess sin to Jesus and repent he forgives us and we are no longer considered guilty. 

The problem is people doing things they know are wrong even before they do them. 

In other words I believe God will forgive adultery-by remarriage of two people who are faithful to each other, and did not even realize what they were doing. 

married people who are cheating on their spouse are not looking for forgiveness but practicing adultery. 

Has someone who continues in an adulterous remarriage really repented of the adultery at all?  Since the remarriage itself is an adulterous relationship, then, in order to repent, would that adulterous relationship not need to end?

As far as ten years and three children later is concerned, the practical and emotional matters are distinct from right and wrong.

See a different (but emotionally and practically relevant) matter, to do with wrong marriages (although not adulterous ones)  - Ezra chapter 10.

• Thumbs Up 1