dgolvach

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  477
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

So if someone was fliritng with your own wife, you would just pardon the guy and not even protect her??? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely! That's what the Bible calls us to do- even if we don't want to or feel like it. We are called by Jesus to forgive everyone just as in Christ God forgives us. Sin is sin.

Did not Jesus forgive the men who were nailing Him to the cross ? And who did the nailing ? Not just the soldiers- we nailed our Saviour to the tree- you, me, everyone that's ever lived :P

As I stated earlier though, is this case the Priest repented and then went to confess his sin to the husband. 1 John 1:9 says that he is now forgiven. In God's eyes, the Priest has not sinned ( Psalm 103:12 & Hebrews 10:17 ). Now the husband must seek forgiveness for "protecting" his wife ( he was angry, not protecting! ). So in this case, to ask which sin was worse ? The un repented sin is- because that's the only transgression not sought forgiveness for. The Priest at this point is now in the position of forgiving the un forgiver for his sin ( the husband ). The only sin here is the husbands vengeful actions. The Priest is, in God's eyes, totally and completely forgiven.

Isn't The Cross a wonderful thing ? :)

God bless,

Tim

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Yea...Perhaps the priest could have in a spirit of humilty accepted a couple of good smacks up side the head. (it would probably serve him well in the long run). But I can't see his sin as being worthy of being totally ruined. The husband could have allowed the church elders to give the tape a listen but the priest asked for mercy. It would have cost him his job and maybe even his marraige. If the husband were to show mercy to the priest, don't you think he (husband) would fair better on judgement day. The husband was not without sin in his life.

Dan

Good story isn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I have to disagree that the "Priest" should just be allowed to continue as though nothing happened. As Christians it is true that we are forgiven by God and it is also true that others should forgive us.

But, forgiveness of sin and consequences from actions are two different things. I think if someone is spiritual authority is behaving this way it is evidence of a deeper problem and it needs to be addressed.

It would be a shame to find out in 5 years that this someone has had affairs with several other women over the years and perhaps molested a child or two.

Now, I'm not accusing and I don't even know who this is. I'm just saying that the fact that this guy got caught is probably evidence that he's done it elsewhere. A shoplifter rarely gets busted his first time, know what I mean?

1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

1Ti 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

1Ti 3:10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.

1Ti 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Where do I start... this "Priest" is pretty much in violation of this entire passage.

1) He is obviously not "grave" (serious, reverant) if he is coming onto other women in deceit.

2) He is obviously "doubletongued" if he is doing this and then going home to his wife like nothing happened.

3) He cannot have a "pure conscience" if he is two-timing his wife... or trying to. He's also being deceitful to the husband of this women as well as to the whole congregation.

4) This is "proving" his unfaithfulness, rather than his faithfulness.

5) And, he's obviously not "ruling his own household well" if he is being unfaithful to his wife.

This guy should be relieved of his position. It doesn't mean he cannot ever serve again, but it shouldn't just be swept under the rug and forgotten about.

1Co 4:2 Here, moreover, it is required of stewards, that they be found faithful.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/12/1925

The one who refused to forgive, will not be forgiven by God. Matthew 6: 14,15

Guest stevej

Neither mans sin is greater. Sin can not stand in the prescence of God. My question is did the "wandering eyes" ask forgiveness from God as well? Did the violent man regardless of his position with his opponent ask God for forgiveness. I missed that somehow in the original post.