• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/09/1960

For those of you who believe and teach that it matters not what a Christian eats or drinks, can you explain how this passage fits into your thinking?  Thanks in advance :).

1Co 10:31  Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

To me, that verse includes FAR MORE than JUST what we "eat or drink" as it contains the word "WHATSOEVER".  How we dress, how we live, what we read, what we listen to, how much we eat (yes, I believe overeating is a sin).  

And to set the record straight, I do not believe I can WORK my way to Heaven at all.  I just believe that the Bible says, JESUS SAYS, that if we truly LOVE HIM, we will strive to obey Him.  And I believe it's IMPOSSIBLE to obey Him, on our own....but the Bible is very clear, WITH GOD, ALL THINGS are POSSIBLE.  He doesn't ask us to do anything that He won't enable us to do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I don't see any restrictions in this verse at all.  What I do see is that whatever we eat, drink and/or do, it is all done because of God, so in doing so, do it in a way that brings Him glory.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,309
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Matt 11:28-30

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
KJV

I have seen so many who focus so upon works that they fill their lives with burdens and hardships thinking it is of God but this verse must be brought into the understanding...

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, OneLight said:

I don't see any restrictions in this verse at all.  What I do see is that whatever we eat, drink and/or do, it is all done because of God, so in doing so, do it in a way that brings Him glory.

That is what I see in that verse. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 8/19/2021 at 8:28 AM, Tammy Roesch said:

For those of you who believe and teach that it matters not what a Christian eats or drinks, can you explain how this passage fits into your thinking?  Thanks in advance :).

1Co 10:31  Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

The point isn't what we eat, but how we eat.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

There is no salvation in veganism ... 

Colossians 2:20  If ye died with Christ from the elements of the world, why, as though living in the world, do ye submit to ordinances, 
21  Handle not, nor taste, nor touch 
22  (all which are to perish with the using), after the precepts and teachings of men? 
23  Which things are such as have indeed a show of wisdom in will-worship, and humility, and severity to the body; but of no value against indulgence of the flesh. 

23  These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh. (ESV)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,104
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

On 8/19/2021 at 7:28 AM, Tammy Roesch said:

This verse is just one of many that can help to flesh out a proper view on the subject. Paul preached to men who believed it was wrong to eat certain animals which were considered to be unclean by certain Jews. These were old testament precepts and were later overridden. According to old Jewish laws it was wrong to eat these unclean animals. Practicing Orthodox Jews have not changed in what they believe.

We find a lot of situational ethics whenever men decide to make all the rules. Who is to say what is or is not to the glory of God in eating or drinking? What you may think is holy eating and drinking to the glory of God our brother or sister might disagree with.

Aside from the obvious things i.e. gluttony and drinking too much, what is the universally accepted standard for diet? 

I dare say many people aren't aware of everything they put in their mouths. Yes the box said it was apple pie, you bought the mass produced pie, but how many care to read the other ingredients in there? Have you ever examined a box of children's cereal to see what's in it?  Manufacturers are slipping all kinds of things into our food we aren't often aware of.

Anyone who has been to a birthday party or a wedding probably ate some cake. Is cake good for you? No. How many people were sitting in the corner in protest saying they wanted to glorify God by not eating the cake? How many people were glaring the meanie look across that table at us if we ate dessert after our meal? Eating dessert does not glorify God. 

I'm just making the point here. It's a thin line. The body is a large part of our old sinful nature and our body often wants things it should not have. There are also plenty of people who are ignorant about their food. They just buy it and eat it because it's what was available. They have never cared to look at what they intake in detail. Sometimes I wonder if that is totally possible with everything.

Our bodies are a thing entrusted to us to take care of. We are stewards of our bodies, same as we are entrusted to take care of everything God gives us. I do my best to take vitamins and eat right. Once again though, my "eating right" does not look the same to everyone. I might think it's ok to have a donut once a month. You may not.

• Well Said! 1