Asking God yes/no answers?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Can you ask God yes/no answers? For example, if I want to ask God what I should do, I'll open YouTube and say, God if I am meant to do this, this video will play. If I'm not meant to do it then the video will not run? Or I will say "God, have I understood this bible passage correctly? The video playing means yes, the video failing to play means no,"

Does God answer like this?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

49 minutes ago, Meadowflower said:

Who am I to say either way? I suggest The Lord High God thru Yeshua King and Priest has a more personal way of communicating with us. He is never limited, but we are.

In your yes/no scenario, happenstance could lead you in the wrong direction. The Lord is not a slot machine remember.

I suggest you commit your decisions to the Lord and move ahead trusting that He will guide.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  6,903
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Rather than that I would just pray for wisdom and guidance, not for signs. That feels a lot like putting God to the test.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  670
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

4 hours ago, Meadowflower said:

Can you ask God yes/no answers? For example, if I want to ask God what I should do, I'll open YouTube and say, God if I am meant to do this, this video will play. If I'm not meant to do it then the video will not run? Or I will say "God, have I understood this bible passage correctly? The video playing means yes, the video failing to play means no,"

Personally, I don't think this is a wise way to seek the wisdom and guidance of God. It is like running though a traffic light and saying that if I make it across the intersection, then God must want me to go to a certain destination.

Get your guidance from the scriptures, and prayer, and the Holy Spirit instead of doing natural actions to determine if they are right or not.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

5 hours ago, Meadowflower said:

In the old testament, the priest carried the Urim and Thummim to draw for an answer, and crudely in our language sort of a spiritual heads or tails. But not enough is known about this interesting practice.  But we can be sure of one thing.  We are given God's Holy Spirit and that along with the written Word of God we can get an understanding.  What I am saying is this:  it should conform to the Word of God.  If you are not sure what the Word says about everything (and it does address everything) then that's a hint one has to study it cover to cover and for the time being one can look up answers to questions where various guides can shed light on such scripture.  I'd be hesitant to just "open something up" and if it works that way then that's your answer.  I'll wager if you open it up a second time it will be different.  Yet, the bible says two or three witnesses shall confirm a matter so if that were the case it would repeat at least twice, and maybe a third time.  Once is not a witness and many times shows lack of faith (IMO).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

And one other dig I always have to put in:  if you open a video and it does not run because you are running Microsoft, then that's normal considering that flunky operating system.  I would not consider that a sign.  With Linux, Chromebook, Android or anything else it will probably work.  LOL

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,416
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

God's Word is the Christian's only source for truth 

John 17:17-20

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
KJV

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Your question as a whole, is the reason we are to spend time each day reading God's written word. See, God speaks to us primarily through his written word and through the Holy Spirit who resides in us. It is very important that we spend some time in daily prayer and reading God's written word. Then as we come across different circumstances in our lives. The Holy Spirit will bring to mind what you have read in his word and thus, help you to distinguish whether you should or should not do something.

If there is doubt or question mark in your mind about what content you want to watch on youtube. It is better to not watch that particular youtube clip. Because then for you, it is sinful if you do watch it.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Meadowflower said:

That sounds like the old magic eight ball. It is best to present the issue to God and ask Him to guide and direct you. Give Him the control. He knows what is best. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  695
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/17/1973

I don’t think that would ba anymore helpful than as someone said pulling out a magic 8 ball 

it’s almost as if you are trying to force Gods hand, sometimes his answers aren’t immediately seen, they manifest themselves in different ways

Example when I was younger I did what some people still do today

o I would pray to the lord to guide my hand and reveal what was in store for me today and randomly flip through the Bible till I felt the lord tell me to stop then read the first passage my eyes saw

DONT JUDGE ME IM SURE PEOPLE HAVE DONE THIS TOO ??

Anyway I came to the passage one day where Jezabelle is eaten by dogs ? and I avoided every dog for the whole day and if I heard a bark I would get goosebumps

God doesn’t manifest himself like that nor magic 8 balls ( which is a form of occultism like horoscopes, reading tea leaves or even rolling bones are to some people) or even praying to YouTube videos, pray it up to him and take time to meditate on him and he may reveal himself, but it’s his timetable so trusting in him and his timing is important.

SHALOM❤️

Edited by MrBear
  • Thumbs Up 1