IGNORED

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - CHRISTIAN OR CULTIC?

Bawb

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

This assumes Harry Potter et. al. is sinful. I've read the books. Although the main characters are wizards, the story itself is more of coming of age / hero's journey.

Does this story glorify the wizards? Does it say they are good people, in spite of what the Bible says about witches and witchcraft? If it does and a child is reading that story or a parent is reading it to them, what does the Bible say about such things?

Luke 17:2 - It would be better for him to have a millstone hung around his neck and to be thrown into the sea than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.

Occultism is at an all time high because young children are getting more and more exposure to the occult.

Also, I look at the "actors" in any movie I watch. If they are not people with good fruit, then I'm not supporting them! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists_in_film,_radio,_television_and_theater

Edited by Bawb

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

27 minutes ago, Bawb said:

Were they viewed in a positive light or a negative light? The Bible had witches in it as a warning of what to stay away from, not for entertainment.

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but I think I must.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm guessing that you have not read the Harry Potter books.    You should do so, for then you would have a leg to stand on in this conversation.

They are very well written fiction books about people and how they interact.   Most do happen to be young kids that are training to participate in witchcraft.   

Some say that is harmless and ok to read....   And I would agree for 99% of adults.  I have read all the books for they are so well written, however I've had my dealings with the devil and no chance I'm going to back and get involved in that again.

Children I think are a very different story.   I have discussed the books with my grandkids because they don't always understand fiction is not real.....   and from my perspective from where I've been I know it is easy to get yourself involved in things that you didn't intend to get involved in.

My personal thing was Chariots of the Gods.   The difference is that my book was not written as fiction.  It caught my interest and started a ten year deep research into the occult in general and intersecting with those entities that those kinds of books speak of....     The old Sumerian gods were not just figments of peoples imaginations, but did exist.   They were fallen angels and their  offspring.

The books can be very good for children if handled by Christian adults that can discuss things with the children and let them know that witchcraft is not a good thing in any way.   There are no good witches, even if they proclaim to be. And there are hundreds of thousands of people just here in the USA that practice witchcraft.   15 years ago the small city I live in 25,000 or so had three covens that I personally was aware of.   Xerox service people see all kinds of things you never see in the news.

Other than that I would think that they have the potential to make someone of very young age really check into the craft to see what it's about.

I think that most people think the books are harmless because they consider witchcraft a simple hoax or baseless story.

So I would agree with Bawb that the books are not good without supervision. and even so it can start rabbit holes that people should avoid.

Lord of the rings though is so far out in left field I don't see how anyone could take any part of that serious.     My only suggestion would be dump the movies and stick to the books for they are much better.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Bawb said:

Does this story glorify the wizards? Does it say they are good people, in spite of what the Bible says about witches and witchcraft?

No, it does not. Some are good. Some are bad, just like everyone else. The only fault I have with these books is the premise of elitism. One is either born a wizard or not, and there is no way for a "muggle" to perform magic no matter how hard they train. It's fantasy, and quite inane in many ways. As I said, it's a hero's journey. It's about the main character facing his fears (the evil wizard) and overcoming them.

to no one in general.....   Me thinks that some of you need to meet some real witches or wizards to understand the potential problems.

4 minutes ago, other one said:

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but I think I must.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm guessing that you have not read the Harry Potter books.    You should do so, for then you would have a leg to stand on in this conversation.

My personal thing was Chariots of the Gods.   The difference is that my book was not written as fiction.  It caught my interest and started a ten year deep research into the occult in general and intersecting with those entities that those kinds of books speak of....     The old Sumerian gods were not just figments of peoples imaginations, but did exist.   They were fallen angels and their  offspring.

Other than that I would think that they have the potential to make someone of very young age really check into the craft to see what it's about.

So I would agree with Bawb that the books are not good without supervision. and even so it can start rabbit holes that people should avoid.

I haven't read them. But I know plenty who have even in my own family. And I have heard enough from them to get the jest of them. Although it would be a scholarly way to do better research and read the books, I'm much more concerned with learning the Truth of God. This is my priority and feel I would be neglecting my relationship with God if I were to read those books.

1 minute ago, other one said:

to no one in general.....   Me thinks that some of you need to meet some real witches or wizards to understand the potential problems.

If any of you would have ever spoken to this man or heard him speak, it would definitely give you a different mindset!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_LaVey

He had stated quite a few interesting things about Halloween also...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Bawb said:

Things you see as being minor are the very things that have lead to many lives being totally destroyed.

If these things tempt you to create idols, or worship idols, or engage in witchcraft, then obviously, keep yourself from material attributed to Tolkien & Lewis.

2 hours ago, Bawb said:

And people who have been the victims of these curses entered into them by the gradual acceptance of the very things I speak about.

Indeed, there are vulnerable folk out there who need to isolate themselves/shield themselves from influences that could be a factor in leading them astray.

2 hours ago, Bawb said:

I tell you Brothers and Sisters, this is not something to be taken lightly. Guard your souls... Guard your souls!

It is good that you appear to be concerned for other's welfare, this is commendable. But if I may make a suggestion , try to give other folk a little bit of credit. It might be the case that folk have had these same types of discussions before, and are not new to these conversations. 

2 hours ago, Bawb said:

But when I compare myself with Yeshua, I am weighed, measured and found sorely wanting

Indeed! But would I be right in stating that these self comparisons and areas where you fall short are rarely shared or discussed by you, as you prefer to continuously point out some apparent short coming in another?

Edited by B-B

Just now, Bawb said:

I haven't read them. But I know plenty who have even in my own family. And I have heard enough from them to get the jest of them. Although it would be a scholarly way to do better research and read the books, I'm much more concerned with learning the Truth of God. This is my priority and feel I would be neglecting my relationship with God if I were to read those books.

Well, my career had me driving about 3,500 miles a month for almost 40 years and I have read or heard the Bible read at least a hundred times and I lost count of the New Testament.     I would not say that I find the Bible boring, but really how many times to we need to read/hear it.  I do research a lot thanks to all the threads here, but I do like to take a break and read other things as well.

My latest is "Manners and Customs of the Bible.   It's a book about the customs and world view type of thoughts that was prevalent  when the Bible was written.  But I also like spy novels....   Steven King always keeps my interest, and believe it or not the good guys usually win in the end.

20 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

No, it does not. Some are good. Some are bad,

there is no such thing as a good witch...  and that's my personal problem with the Harry Potter Books.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, David1701 said:

I was trying to be tactful (not my strength).  On this occasion it included you; but that doesn't mean that I think you're generally like that.

This kind of subject can be quite emotive; but I prefer to try, as much as possible, to be objective.

Thank you @David1701 for your posts, I know you spoke out of genuine concern. If I may put your mind at rest. I'm not into idol worship or witchcraft. I'm able to read literature by C S Lewis and the LOTR by Tolkien, without it negatively affecting my walk with the Lord.

God bless

Edited by B-B
  • Thumbs Up 1