• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Seeker1834 said:

I'm not doubting the Holy Spirit indwelling. To me the Bible makes it clear tongues is speaking in other human language. And the Bible is also clear there must be an interpreter. I've seen many say they speak in tongues never seen them use interupter.

You dont have to know the meaning when somebody speaks in tongue, its between him and God.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I am a cessationist I do not support tongues for today. 

I could easily agree with you. 

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

3 hours ago, abcdef said:

In my opinion,

If someone were to speak in an unknown tongue, that no one could understand, even the one who speaks, how do you know that you are not speaking some ancient language cursing God and His people? You don't know.

1 Cor 14:19

---

When I hear Christians speak in tongues, it sounds like babbling and turns me off.

I think that preaching the gospel and understanding the scriptures is far more edifying.

You want to speak in tongues? That is up to you.

As for me, I will not speak confusion and in dark words that I nor anyone else can understand.

Which is better? To go to church and hear the gospel preached, and beautiful singing?

Or go to a church and hear people who sound like a bunch of starlings chirping?

----

The people on the TV, I think are just trying to prove to others, and themselves, that they are, approved and endorsed by God. 

Speaking in tongues doesn't prove anything, as the pagan religions also speak in tongues.

---

You explained my stand better than I did. I never did good in school I generally make a mess explaining  my thoughts.

8 hours ago, grahampaul said:

this is more directed at us.
 "wherefore He saith, when he asceded up on high ,He led captivity captive and gave gifts unto men.

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers"

E4v8an11

Everything taught in the Old Testament is aimed at the Jew first.  We must keep that in mind when we read the Bible.  Gentiles are grafted in.

9 hours ago, Seeker1834 said:

You are right speaking tongues when in prayer alone. The Bible is clear if tongues are spoken in a group there must be one to interpret. I said nothing about prophesy. If that remark is directed at me let me say what I believe or print has a verse in th NT to back up what I say.

That remark was not directed at you.  It is based on my experience as a member of a "full gospel evangelical church".  The interpretations I heard in my church were either straight out of the bible or prophetic in nature.  What is the interpretation for?  If it is already in the bible what purpose does it serve?  If it is new information, I question its validity?  If it is prophetic and is false, then the person giving the interpretation is a false prophet. 

I have spoken in "tongues" but I don't now.  I question that I ever did or was being manipulated by the "name it and claim it" the church my wife and I attended.

9 hours ago, Seeker1834 said:

1 cor  14 has several verses that agree with my post. My milk says tongue ok in private prayer tongue in a group needs interpreter.

I don't disagree with Holy Scripture.  I don't know what "milk" means.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

On 2/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, Seeker1834 said:

OK I have seen and heard people speaking in tongues and imo they are making up words that do not exist. In Acts 2: 3-8 it clearly explains tongues as other human language not made up words. How do others believe or not believe in tongues.  Also 1 Corin 14:27-28 says must be an interpreter.. and again imo one could only interpret another human tongue.  Thanks

Actually acts 2 doesn't clearly explain it. It says they heard, not that they spoke in those languages. Think about this, you have 120 people shouting and thousands miraculously heard it in their own language. Acts 2 does not show the practical use of tongues.

We see Paul addressing tongues saying when someone speaks in a tongue, NO ONE understands him, in the Spirit he speaks Mysteries. This is important to understand in that Tongues is not just an ability to speak someone elses language but speaking directly to God in the SPirit.

1 Cor 12:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

In verse 4, you see that tongues does not edify the hearer but the speaker.

"He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. "

When I went to Indonesia, I had no point of relation for the language they spoke. It sounded like gibberish to  me and the way they spoke, my brain couldn't register it. In the same way, tongues isn't for out mind to understand, but our Spirit prays directly to God. I've been speaking in tongues for 18 years, it is not just repeating syllables but a whole language that is distinct. I don't understand what I'm saying unless sometimes the Lord gives interpretation.

1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding

Edited by Joshua-777
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

Paul goes on to say that speaking in tongues is only good when someone can interpret them. I agree the fruits of the spirit, matter more than speaking in tongues, i shook the Holy Spirit in bible service and thought i received Him because i spoke on tongues in that moment, but weeks later i manifested with demons. The gifts and fruits of The Spirit and His guidance from scripture matter more than all other aspects of The Holy Spirit. 

Edited by Prycejosh1987