Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,512
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

This could be fun if there is any participation. I just came from a thread discussing biblical symbolism, and one reason I suspect its use. So everyone throughout the ages would understand the meaning and application. The symbolism in Ezekiel chapter 1 is fascinating, along with the symbolism in the book of Revelation.

In Ezekiel, this object moves up, down, forward, backward without looking or turning. The pictures below could symbolize an eagle, bear, lion, and leopard, are any of those animals symbolic (swift, powerful, fierce, fast)?  

If you are up to writing only a paragraph, in your own words, describe the following swords, shields, and bucklers in the two pictures below.

RULES: You have to stick to the Hebrew-Greek words available of the time. You may not use any technological wording, words invented after our canon was closed, only the words available to the prophets and apostles.

Describe the hovering, going up, down, forward, backward without looking or turning. Describe the tail boom stinger. Describe the scream of the T53-L-13 turbine engine and the whopping of the main rotor blades. The sound of the rockets fired the explosion and aftermath. The red-looking tracer laser line of bullets fired from the miniguns during a gun run. The flack vests worn, and all the armament and flight characteristics. Go ahead, make my day 😊

UH-1C Huey Gunship - Copy.jpg

Vietnam Rockets.jpg

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.40
  • Days Won:  11

Okay, Dennis :D  Here goes…

And I looked, and behold, a spinning circle attached to the head of a creature was poised in the sky above me.  The creature had the head of a bear and the nose of an eagle and it seemed to float in the sky going this way, then that way; yet it had no wings.  The creature’s eyes were the color of amber and flashed at the sun.  The feet of the creature were straight like the legs of a bird and its backside was like that of a bee.  It talked to me as it got closer with a thrumming whoppa-whoppa language that made no sense to me and made me tremble inside, and I dove to the ground as red flashes like lightening kicked up the dust around me.  Then I heard a command to stand upon my feet.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

7 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Describe the hovering, going up, down, forward, backward without looking or turning. Describe the tail boom stinger. Describe the scream of the T53-L-13 turbine engine and the whopping of the main rotor blades. The sound of the rockets fired the explosion and aftermath. The red-looking tracer laser line of bullets fired from the miniguns during a gun run. The flack vests worn, and all the armament and flight characteristics. Go ahead, make my day 😊

(Guessing door gunner, Dennis?)    uh 1 Huey gunship
 I can see how difficult it would be to describe this big locust.

u24UezbAV9Wrk6aA-91.jpg.20323e09cf6a18122901d0b9442c7826.jpg

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Did anyone notice the last verse in Ezekiel 1?

Ezekiel 1:28 (NASB)
Like the appearance of the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the surrounding radiance. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking.

Ezekiel 1:28 (LB)
 From his waist up, he seemed to be all glowing bronze, dazzling like fire; and from his waist down he seemed to be entirely flame, and there was a glowing halo like a rainbow all around him. That was the way the glory of the Lord appeared to me. And when I saw it, I fell face downward on the ground and heard the voice of someone speaking to me:

The whole chapter is about the glory of God. His glory is beyond any human description, verbally and visually, God is above all creation, and nothing in all creation can even begin to compare to his glory.

And the very reason we are not to make any images in his likeness. Ezekiel's vision shows that God's glory wasn't just in “the temple” in Jerusalem, but also everywhere. The description Ezekiel gives of heaven and of God's glory, is beyond our wildest imaginations and dreams.

I think from the chapter itself, that Ezekiel also saw in his vision, our Savior. Perhaps a theophany, so to speak. The closest we come to seeing God is in the likeness and image of Jesus. But also perhaps a glimpse of the trinity.

The vision of the cherubim, shows us the purity in heaven.  There is no sin, in heaven.

Hebrews 1:3  (NASB)
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Hebrews 1:3 (LB)
God’s Son shines out with God’s glory, and all that God’s Son is and does marks him as God. He regulates the universe by the mighty power of his command. He is the one who died to cleanse us and clear our record of all sin, and then sat down in highest honor beside the great God of heaven.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

Thanks for starting this thread, @Dennis1209  Ezekiel’s book is amazing!  I mean, imagine receiving a personal visit from God!  What an incredible experience and sight for Ezekiel—the skies open up for him and he sees God's throne in Shekinah glory with sparkles and flashes flowing forth from it like a prism or rainbow of brilliant colors—Wow!

Consider explaining television or a 747 Jumbo Jet to someone who lived 300 years ago before electricity was discovered. Needless to say, Ezekiel had never seen a plane, or a jet, or a helicopter, a rocket or a space shuttle.  Imagine him trying to describe to someone some sort of “UFO” in the sky….  Ezekiel is doing his best to describe what he sees:

And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

- Ezekiel 1:4 (KJV)

Also in Revelation chapter 4, the apostle John describes our Father's throne:

And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and One sat on the throne. And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

- Revelation 4:2-3

Edited by Selah7
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

7 hours ago, Sower said:

(Guessing door gunner, Dennis?)    uh 1 Huey gunship
 I can see how difficult it would be to describe this big locust.

u24UezbAV9Wrk6aA-91.jpg.20323e09cf6a18122901d0b9442c7826.jpg

Good morning Sower,

Yep, door gunner UH1-C gunship. I basically wanted to show one reason for the biblical use of symbolism, trying to describe something never seen before, no technical words for it, and having no concept of it. If the ancients witnessed one of these making a gun run, they would be in awe. The same could be said with stealth jets, bombers, aircraft carriers, etc.

Now try to imagine a human with limited vocabulary trying to describe the throne of God and Cherubim in words using symbolism. If they were not inspired by the Lord, I do not think they could have made any comparisons. It is said, "a picture is worth a thousand words." 

Not too many takers to my challenge to describe one of these with the rules set forth is there? The same would apply to the Beast's with four faces and feet like an ox, the demonic hordes from the abyss, and many other descriptions we still cannot imagine. 

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Selah7 said:

Thanks for starting this thread, @Dennis1209  Ezekiel’s book is amazing!  I mean, imagine receiving a personal visit from God!  What an incredible experience and sight for Ezekiel—the skies open up for him and he sees God's throne in Shekinah glory with sparkles and flashes flowing forth from it like a prism or rainbow of brilliant colors—Wow!

Consider explaining television or a 747 Jumbo Jet to someone who lived 300 years ago before electricity was discovered.  Needless to say, Ezekiel had never seen a plane, or a jet, or a helicopter, a rocket or a space shuttle.  Imagine him trying to describe to someone some sort of “UFO” in the sky….  Ezekiel is doing his best to describe what he sees:

And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

- Ezekiel 1:4 (KJV)

Also in Revelation chapter 4, the apostle John describes our Father's throne:

And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

- Revelation 4:2-3

Good morning Selah7,

The Lord wanted us to understand some things and gave us basic descriptions of them. Some may think the symbolism and descriptions used are extremely primitive, but they are accurate and ageless. Today with our advanced knowledge, technical terminology, and vocabulary, I doubt anyone could adequately comprehend or describe God's glory.

It is said, those living near the end will understand it best. I believe that to mean knowledge will be increased (Dan. 12:4), that generation will see the ways and means of prophetic fulfillment. 

• Well Said! 1

And they went every one straight forward: whither the spirit was to go, they went; and they turned not when they went. As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, and like the appearance of lamps: it went up and down among the living creatures; and the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning. And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.

- Ezekiel 1:12-14 (KJV)

The four living creatures (Zoon) are the pilots of these "Flying Wheels," and wherever they travel, there is an immense brilliance. Isn't that about how fast UFOs are reported to travel?  They are as quick as a flash of lightning, according to Ezekiel.   So when the Zoon decide to go, this way or that way, up or down, zooom; they’re gone! :)

2226. zóon 
Strong's Concordance
zóon: a living creature
Original Word: ζῷον, ου, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: zóon
Phonetic Spelling: (dzo'-on)
Definition: a living creature
Usage: an animal, living creature.

Come on people, give it a shot using the few rules set forth in the OP. Just a paragraph, or as much as you would like to describe the image. If you wish, substitute a stealth bomber, aircraft carrier, or even a nuclear detonation, instead of an attack helicopter.

We have biblical experts on here, some fluent in Hebrew and Greek, some with advanced degrees, even some that were educated in Bible college and seminary.

It would be interesting to see any contrasts in descriptions from thousands of years ago, to this day. It could give a new appreciation for the wisdom and inspiration the 44+ authors of our Bible were given?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I remember this kind of reasoning back in the 70’s.

Supposition and guesswork then and still now.

We will know when we know, but I suspect it has nothing to do with technology or artifacts.

:-)

But rather points to the unimaginable.

• Thumbs Up 1