6 year old son seeing me breastfeeding

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  459
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

I have a 6, almost 7 year old son. I had a baby almost 5 weeks ago.

We live in a small 2 bed apartment. I am breastfeeding and it has been a real challenge from the beginning. I need to feed very frequently and I stay in the living area to spend time with my family and also because everywhere else in the apartment is too cold. 

At the start, I covered up as best I could. My son would say 'ugh, cover up mum!' if anything slipped, but things have been so stressful (finding the latch etc-ladies you know what I mean!). I won't go into all the details but after a while I stopped concealing myself while feeding and he doesn't bat an eyelid any more. My parents came to stay recently and I continued like this: nobody cared when I 'immodestly' fed within the home, not even my dad. I don't go out of the home much because I can't feed discreetly yet. It will come soon (this is my 3rd breastfed baby). 

Once I establish breastfeeding a little more, I will be able to cover myself but it's all a bit to clumsy at the minute. While my son doesn't seem bothered. I am wondering if this will be harmful for him or, alternatively, will it help him develop a healthy empathy for what women go through and an understanding of natural functions in humans. 

My husband says he sometimes wonders if it will mess our son up in the future, but concedes that breasts are literally for feeding babies and why shouldn't our son be exposed to jt. I feel the same but am so overwhelmed with feeding the baby at the minute that I don't care who sees! 

What do you all think?

Am I setting my son up for some kind of Freudian perversion? Or just showing him how babies are fed which will influence his parenting attitudes when he grows up? 

I do express milk to put in a bottle but really, baby needs to be at the breast to help develop her latch. I express in the living room too.

By the way, I would appreciate some prayers to help with my milk supply!

Thank you!

• Praying! 1

• Thewhitedove changed the title to 6 year old son seeing me breastfeeding

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,785
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  223
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I have 4 children all were breast fed, one of my daughters has 6 again al breast fed  you cover when you can and dont worry about any slips it is not as if you are flaunting yourself in a sexual way you are doing what God gave us the capacity to do ...wopuld you cover your sons eyes if you saw an animal being fed in the field ? 

Praying for you ( I had the opposite problem and wet clothes so very often )   try drinking a lot more water about an hour before feed time or if you are still at the any tie is dinner time stage then just keep topping up your own fluids as often as you can :emot-hug:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

12 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

What do you all think?

I grew up in a family of seven kids. My mom was always breast feeding someone it seems while doing daily routines.
As were our neighbors moms when they would come over and get together, all in front of us kids.
It was normal.
I have `come upon ladies breast feeding in the 'nursery' at church when seeking my wife,
and nobody seemed embarrassed but myself   :unsure:
It is how God created moms and feeding babies.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

12 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

What do you all think?

Nothing is amiss; you are neither harming your son nor anyone else. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  459
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Thanks everyone. I was wondering as I sometimes have to sit with no top on at all, in order to get a good latch. This was particularly true in the early days when I couldn't actually bear to wear anything as it hurt so much! Glad I'm not scarring my son for life!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

He will be fine from this. It's the internet filled with perversions that you need to guard him from.

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I grew up in the 1960's and 70's. Many women breastfed their babies in public.

Mom breastfed all 5 of her kids. We caught a "slip" is that what you are calling it? 

Peak, glimpse. It was embarrassing at first of course. But a combination of Mom's

lack of concern and the sheer commonplace of the act of feeding the baby we soon

lost interest of any kind.

Family modesty typically follows parental lead. If you do not make a big deal out of it,

eventually little Johnny or little Sissy won't either.

And of course it's a good parent's obligation to steer a child's interests away from close relatives.

A certain amount of extra-attire moments in a family is commonplace (especially when the family

lives in close quarters). The trick in my home growing up was to say "Eww" and get past it.

LOL

And lingering curiosities / perversions are matters to be dealt with by the parents (though most avoid dealing with them)

by frank and open conversations.

Warning, beyond here there be dragons! __________________________________________________

Trying to keep this where it is not necessary to discuss in the adults only section of Worthy...

but with heterosexual children, the mother is the first naked woman a son will ever see and a father is the

first naked man a daughter will ever see. In a normal child's development, that trauma is gotten over.  And

in many cases the child grows up to seek a mate similar to their parent in many aspects (physical, emotional, spiritual, etc).

In other cases, perversion is inborn or ignored by parents who refuse to face or discuss or help them heal or contain these 

feelings, addictions, etc. 

I don't say it will be easy, but it can be addressed.

As a parent and more specifically as a Mom you already have much too much on your plate... but somehow make time and effort for the little ones God placed in your trust.