Hebrew "w" sound

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Ancient Hebrew did not include the "J" or "W" sound in their vocabulary.  Yet, we see many today trying to add these letters to God's Hebrew (YHVH) name for example:  JaHoVaH or YaHWeH.  God's Hebrew name given to Moses is somewhat of mystery but we can be sure that his name does not contain "J" or "W".   Many English translations substitute "J" for the letter "Y" and "W" for the letter "V" in Hebrew.  A more accurate translation of YHVH would be YaHoVaH.

I am ignorant and guilty of this myself.   See my handle.  I wish I could change my handle.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,092
  • Content Per Day:  2.58
  • Days Won:  5

22 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Ancient Hebrew did not include the "J" or "W" sound in the their vocabulary.  Yet, we see many today trying to add these letters to God's Hebrew (YHVH) name for example:  JaHoVaH or YaHWeH.  God's Hebrew name given to Moses is somewhat of mystery but we can be sure the his name does not contain "J" or "W".   Many English translations substitute "J" for the letter "Y" and "W" for the letter "V" in Hebrew.  A more accurate translation of YHVH would be YaHoVaH.

I am ignorant and guilty of this myself.   See my handle.  I wish I could change my handle.

Shalom. Thank you for the information. 

'Handle', do you mean your profilname? I've read in here about someone who changed their profilname, so it should be able to do. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

44 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

You can PM George or Omegaman 3.0 as they are the only two still active who can make the change.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

Yes, last time I had a name changed by the admin. I lost most of my post and membership ranking.  It was like starting over for the most part.

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

On 6/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, Jedi4Yahweh said:

A more accurate translation of YHVH would be YaHoVaH.

Hi @Jedi4Yahweh

Whilst, strictly speaking, there is not a 'W' sound, the Vav or Waw can be read as a soft W.  I say a soft W in the sense of it's true meaning as a "double u".  So it would be "wOO", with a very soft w sound leading into the "OO".

Therefore, it is easier in the English language to understand the Vav in the Tetragrammton as a "u".  This would give the more accurate spelling as Yahueh, rather than Yahweh.  And the pronunciation would be "YAH-oo-Eh", so very very close to "YAH-WEH", but just a slightly dipped "oo" introduced. Almost making the name a three syllable word (but only just) rather than a hard two syllable word.

Personally, I still write "Yahweh" as everyone knows who I mean when I write this and it's not wrong, technically. But if I started going around writing "Yahueh" I would sound like a strange fundamentalist!

Now, as for Yahovah - this name cannot be the rendering of the Tetragrammaton as it breaks the rules of the Hebrew grammar.  If you think about it carefully, Yahovah is actually a Quintagrammaton as you are using the Vav TWICE.  Once for the "hO" and secondly for the "Vah".  The only way to accomplish this spelling of Yahovah would be if the name was Yud, Hey, Vav, Vav, Hey.

As for the other popular alternative Yahuah - this rendering is unlikely for a number of reasons.  Principally because of the lack of historicity, the feminine pronoun in ends in, and the translation belief and methodology behind it.

Yahweh is the only name that comes with historical record  and the only name that has survived throughout the ages.  Whereas as Yahovah (a tangent from Jehovah which is easily provably as inaccurate) and Yahuah are very recent renditions.

I hope that helps.

Peace.

• Thumbs Up 1