Willa

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

"THE TRUE SOURCE OF PEACE IS IN THE SURRENDER OF THE WILL".   LETTER 6  of "LET GO" by Archbishop Fenelon.

"Nevertheless, not My will be done but Thine."

Many of Fenelon's letters deal with the total peace that only God can give.  It is the sort of internal peace we get when we trust God even though the world is crumbling and in turmoil around us.  

"SURRENDER IS NOT A HEROIC SACRIFICE BUT A SIMPLE SINKING INTO THE WILL OF GOD".   LETTER 34.  

It is letting go.  He goes on to say:

"Let me tell you what real surrender is.  It is simply resting in the love of God, as a little baby rests in its mother's arms.--

"Surrender consists not in doing great heroic deeds about which self can brag but simply in accepting whatever God sends, and not seeking to change it (unless it is His will that it be changed).--Surrender is the source of true peace;  If we aren't at peace it is because our surrender is not complete."

Fenelon deals with humility and death of self.  Sometimes his letters cut like the two edged sword of the Holy Spirit.  They have always brought me peace.

Archbishop Fenelon was archbishop to the court of Louis XIV. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

load of unbiblical rubbish.

Romans 12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Look at verse 2 we have to be transformed, that means working with the Spirit to change how we think and act.

Why do you think that Paul talked about training, about subduing his body, used the example of highly trained proffessional soldiers.

Christianity is not something one sleep walks through.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

I don't know anything about Archbishop Fenelon but resting in the Lord is very biblical, and so is the peace that passes understanding.  It doesn't exclude the body being subdued and being a living sacrifice but goes hand in hand I would think.

"Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God...."

"In everything gives thanks, for this is God's will for you...."

That said there are many counterfeits which espouse something similar.....the difference is whether it is from and to and through the Lord, the one true Living God in Christ.  Self righteousness masquerades as the real thing.

Rom 11:35-36

Or who hath first given to Him, and it should be recompensed again?  For OF Him and THROUGH Him and TO Him are all things.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Fenelon, born 1651,  was a close friend of Madame Guyon, who was his first cousin.   They strongly influenced the protestant movement in its early days.

Personally I have found that his letters to be profound and true.  Hebrews states:

Heb 4:2  For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.  Heb 4:3  For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "SO I SWORE IN MY WRATH, 'THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST,' " although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Heb 4:10  For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from HisHeb 4:11  Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

Fenelon deals with an aspect of the rest of faith.  We cease from our own works and trust in the completed work of Christ on the cross. We trust in His blood.  This is the true Sabbath rest that brings peace.  

We give up our own agendas and adopt God's.  Nevertheless not my will be done but thine were the words of Jesus as He wrestled to surrender to God's will at Gethsemane .  That is not unbiblical rubbish.  It is trusting in God's love and goodness.  It is to cast all our cares on Him for He cares for you.    It is trusting that He is all-knowing and forsees the future.  This allows us to rest in His arms.   It allows us to surrender our wills because we can trust Him.  That is faith in a nutshell.

The opposite is to wrestle with God, to struggle.  Self will is rooted in pride, the source of contention. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  The humble have quieted their hearts and walk in the Spirit with God.  They follow Him.

The Spirit causes us to hunger for God's word.  As the Holy Spirit opens our understanding we become familiar with His nature, His character, and the full meaning of His Name.  We learn that way to recognize His voice and not be deceived.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On 7/12/2022 at 11:43 PM, Willa said:

to surrender our wills 

Yes, first a person needs to trust in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12).

Then accepting His will does not mean just trusting Him about what God wants and about things happening in the person's life.

But we have peace by obeying God in the ruling of His peace in our hearts.

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

This peace is not a feeling, but God's own harmony with His almighy power to guard our hearts and minds (Philippians 4:6-7). And in this peace we have God's personal guiding while we obey Him in His peace. Plus, in the ruling of this peace we have our Creator's creativity for how to love every person.

This is all the time while we submit to how God rules us in His peace; and this peace, then, is not only for handling problems and feeling assured that we ourselves are being taken care of.

But God is all-loving; so He rules us in coordination with how He is blessing all others in harmony with each of us, while He has us doing His good for others.

Edited by com7fy8
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On 7/12/2022 at 2:36 AM, Who me said:

load of unbiblical rubbish.

It is not clear what you disagree with, in the first post. What you say about resting in the Lord and presenting your body to the Lord can fit with surrendering to God.

It depends on what someone is doing as the meaning of what he or she says.

We have Philippians 2:13 >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

So a person needs, I see from this scripture, to stop operating and controlling one's own will. This would take a sort of surrender, I think. Plus, with God working my willing, I am just resting and riding in how He takes us along . . . flowing with Him.

So, there can be surrender to get me started in this, then resting submissively.

And with this comes also our bodies being given over to God's leading and guiding . . . surrendering our bodies to His management all the time.

So it's surrendering and becoming submissive in God's peace in His love . . . very intimate and personal.

Edited by com7fy8