• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.56
  • Days Won:  12

On 7/22/2022 at 4:57 PM, teddyv said:

If what they say comes to pass, they are legit. 

That is a test, but not an infallible one.  If what they say does not come to pass, then they are false prophets (or immature Christians with an over-active imagination).

If what they say does come to pass, then there is a further test that must be applied.

Deut. 13:1-3 (KJV)

1 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,
  2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
  3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

---If the predicted thing does come to pass, but the "prophet" leads people into idolatry (and that's not just worshipping statues), then he's a false prophet.

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, Starise said:

I am writing this to get thoughts on the criteria you might use to either accept or reject person who claims a word from God, a special dream or vision.

One place in the bible says this:

Joel 2:28

“And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions.

And almost word for word here:

Acts 2:17

“’In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

This is I believe, a reminder of the original comment in Joel.

We also have this:

2 Peter 1:20-21

20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture comes from one’s own interpretation. 21 For no such prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.…

There are many who are coming out with "visions and prophecies". I put this in quotes because this is their claim and not necessarily proven.

One such prophetic dream I recently read claims there will be a terrible tsunami very soon and bad things coming for the US and Japan all very soon. Others made claims of even more extreme government upheaval than we have seen to date.

In most of these good news is nowhere to be found. Instead a dire and dark future is predicted. Many of these self described prophets are claiming to be Christians.

How do we know for sure when a prophet is false or when one is legit?

Astonished to see something like this OP run on for five pages.

Does a vision match Bible truth or no? Period. End of story.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

57 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Astonished to see something like this OP run on for five pages.

Does a vision match Bible truth or no? Period. End of story.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Maybe my way of looking at this is all wrong and we are over complicating something that could be greatly simplified.

As many have said there should be a testing process on these people who claim to have prophetic visions and dreams. Others have said that the way prophecy comes about has changed and we should no longer look at it exactly the same way.

I agree the dynamic has changed in the way some of these visions and dreams are revealed.

It seems a dream or vision can 'match' or be mated to a biblical idea and be modern in scope, so that we only have the word of the person who is making the claim.

Maybe some remember the security measures that were taken in the US during the Bush Jr. era. There was a big flap over it because spying on citizens was a loss of privacy. The argument in favor of extreme security was it supposedly offered us all more protection from bad people. Since then, every so often we will get a 'tip' about something that might be going down. I'm sure many times these tips are only at the top levels but sometimes they seem to trickle down. This isn't so much prophecy as it is advanced notice about a potentially impending event that could wreak havoc on an area of our country. I don't think it's wise that the US is beginning to push Russia around because they might just decide to push back on our own homeland. This is another can of worms, but I'm just using this as an example of things that might seem "prophetic" when all they really are is advanced notice either directly or indirectly. This is some of the types of things we sometimes see in media.

A false prophet can be difficult to figure sometimes because many of them come with religious credentials and speak like they know the bible. To flush them out takes some time.