IGNORED

Should marriage be a legal right ? What happens if someone leaves you, Wrongs you, Or leaves you with nothing ? Then What ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  432
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

Should marriage be a legal right ? What happens if someone leaves you, Wrongs you, Or leaves you with nothing ? Then what ? Do we go on supporting ourselves as best we can, Even if we can't, And if we know we can't, Should we then be then very careful with our finances. How about putting your names on everything, So if there is a break up it is then legally both of yours ?

I think the latter. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  310
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

It’s what happens when there is no state recognition of a marriage…there is no longer any legal recourse. I’ve seen too many women  ‘get burned’ by just shacking up. 
The ideal is both a marriage under God with a State recognition. Why would it have to be one or the other?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

18 hours ago, believeinHim said:

Should marriage be a legal right ? What happens if someone leaves you, Wrongs you, Or leaves you with nothing ? Then what ? Do we go on supporting ourselves as best we can, Even if we can't, And if we know we can't, Should we then be then very careful with our finances. How about putting your names on everything, So if there is a break up it is then legally both of yours ?

I think the latter. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( 

First of all is this two born again Christians getting married? That marriage is going to be more solid. A Christian should not marry a non Christian.When a couple gets married they have made a vow that they will be married " til death do us part". There are legal rights that a person has in the case of divorce. You need to get lawyers involved. There is also legal separation that a couple can choose. They would be legally separated for a certain amount of time to think about their marriage and possibly get counseling. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

• 1Co 7:12-16 -> "To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife? 

4 hours ago, chesed said:

It’s what happens when there is no state recognition of a marriage…there is no longer any legal recourse. I’ve seen too many women  ‘get burned’ by just shacking up. 
The ideal is both a marriage under God with a State recognition. Why would it have to be one or the other?

I have been burned by attending a local show, At a venue that was supposed to be owned by a church member, {or so I thought somewhere}, And it was across the street from my hospital I have been in. I barely supported him at all, But I did support him a little and was friends with him on Facebook for several years. He is now seeing a Nurse Practitioner, too............................. 

4 hours ago, missmuffet said:

First of all is this two born again Christians getting married? That marriage is going to be more solid. A Christian should not marry a non Christian.When a couple gets married they have made a vow that they will be married " til death do us part". There are legal rights that a person has in the case of divorce. You need to get lawyers involved. There is also legal separation that a couple can choose. They would be legally separated for a certain amount of time to think about their marriage and possibly get counseling. 

Millennials are not Christian. Neither is Generation X, Or Generation Z. 75% of them are not Christians. My father's age is out of the question. :noidea:

It narrows my options, That's for certain. And I think I just derailed the thread. 

Edited by believeinHim

6 hours ago, chesed said:

I think I just derailed the thread. Anyway, It is not of the norm to remain friends on particularly that platform for that long with someone that you like. That is also very, very rare. If anything isn't happening, It is very rare among millennials to remain friends on that specific platform for that long. It happens, But not usually. For what it's worth. :(

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,104
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

43 minutes ago, Slibhin said:

Why would anyone want to stay married to someone who doesn't want to be?

Ultimately no one wants that.  Things can get way more complicated than that in reality though.

Imagine you've been married to someone for a long time with never an indication they were not invested in the marriage or didn't love you, then one day out of the blue they say they want a divorce or they are caught cheating.

Now imagine you feel something isn't quite right about them, like maybe they are not thinking straight due to stress or maybe a mental condition. 

I believe any wise person in that position would, at the very least, seek to find out if something else is going on with this person since you knew them since they 'changed' and are clearly not acting like themselves. Sometimes a spouse will rethink the implications of trying to leave, feel bad about it and come back. Other times they really want to leave and in that case what choice does the other have but to let them go? Even though the offending spouse  wants to leave, it can be very difficult to separate a long term marriage bond.

A person in this position, especially with kids to think about will be asking, " Are you sure this is REALLY what you want to do?" One might ask this question multiple times in the hopes the other person with get some time to clear their head and their thinking and maybe come back to some kind of unity.

Couples often fight and make empty hurtful threats, including the threat they might just walk away. More often than not these are just empty, flying in the moment things people say who are hurt and who want to strike back at someone who has hurt them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Marriage can be the second best thing to ever happen to you (the first is being saved by Jesus Christ). ← which definitely is the case with me.

Edited by JohnD
  • Praise God! 1