IGNORED

Would a person be adhering to Romans 12:18 if she/he were Always Avoiding a person with whom she/he has an extremely contentious relationship?

bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

Romans 12:14-21
New American Standard Bible 1995

14 Bless those who persecute [a]you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. [c]Respect what is right in the sight of all men. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but [d]leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 “But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
The verse Romans 12:18 is emphasizing that we should Try our best to be at peace with all men.  Therefore, would a person be adhering to Romans 12:18 if he/she

-were Always Avoiding an ex-spouse/ex-girlfriend/ex-friend/relative because the relationship with said person in question has deteriorated to such a bad state that any sort of interaction would always lead to quarrels?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

No, in certain circumstances, avoidance and disassociation are sometimes the best option to maintain peace.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, bartmac123 said:
The verse Romans 12:18 is emphasizing that we should Try our best to be at peace with all men.  Therefore, would a person be adhering to Romans 12:18 if he/she

-were Always Avoiding an ex-spouse/ex-girlfriend/ex-friend/relative because the relationship with said person in question has deteriorated to such a bad state that any sort of interaction would always lead to quarrels?

If you are dealing with a toxic person and you are always throwing yourself at that person you are only asking for it. Avoid what is evil. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,038
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

On 8/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, bartmac123 said:

4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. (1 Ti 6:4–5)

The context is slightly different but from this we learn the mind of God. This and other scriptures, like Ephesians Chapter 4, indicate that constant strife hinders spiritual growth. Note the command to "withdraw". It might look cowardly but its godly to retreat. But sometimes you are cornered. Don't defend an accusation, don't retaliate, and politely excuse yourself. Our Lord did not answer His accusers at trial. You do the will of God by retiring. A true disciple is not above his Master. This is what our Master did;

23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: (1 Pe 2:23)

God is watching - and He never forgets the blows you take - physical or verbal. Judgment is not forgotten - only deferred.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

Well, I had someone who seemed abusive, at times talking to me like I was a peon who wasn't important enough to report things to him. And he could get nasty, it seemed, while we talked about certain issues alone with each other.

But he was a leader involved in certain activities I considered to be worthwhile, including church services. So, there were times I would be with him. I prepared in prayer, trusting God to make me ready to love him and not let him have power over me to get me to be or to relate the wrong way.

And be his best friend by being loving and encouraging for him to become God's way in love.

Therefore, do not let him have power to get me arguing or bitter. And trust God to do what is good with him.

Always stay ready for love . . . in case he is ready to do better. And even if he isn't - - - by staying ready to love, I could share with others and help others even if he did not benefit from sharing with me.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

We are also told to bless those who persecute us and pray for those who spitefully use us.  Try showering the person with kindness.

Mat 5:44  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 

1Pe 3:9. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

1Th 5:15. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.

• This is Worthy 1

• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On 8/27/2022 at 8:35 AM, bartmac123 said:
 any sort of interaction would always lead to quarrels?

A quarrel can be when both people are giving in to fighting with each other.

So, in case you mean you always give in to the temptation to argue with this person . . . just staying clear of that person does not solve the problem of how you are still able to give in to fighting with another person.

So, first you need to pray and trust how our Father is able to correct you so you are strong and alert enough to stay out of arguing. And this can help you for sharing with someone Christian with whom you do belong.

While you still have the character to give in to fighting, this can make you a magnet to attract you together with someone to fight with. So, get strong in Jesus, yourself, so you do not fight with anyone, plus so you can attract together with maturing Jesus people who help us with this.

And as you get real in God's love, this can spread to effect that toxic person. God uses good example > 1 Peter 3:4 is an example of this.

Plus, Philippians 2:13-16 shows how, by stopping our arguing and complaining, we can become strong in real love in sharing with Jesus.

And then we can shine this and minister this to others.