• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Sower said:

I did a study many years back on the word 'fear' in scripture, found 383 ea word's fear. The vast majority definition is what we think it means, frightened, alarmed, afraid, terror etc. Also some few instances, be in awe, reverence.

There are words that can have very different and even exact opposite meanings. 

One thing I note about fear which means to be in terror of something is the person's focus of attention is on the thing causing the fear. 

So, I see how this might help us with what fearing God is. It can mean He has our attention focused on Him, with awe and wonder. 

There is another thing I have considered. When you have a very special relationship with someone, you might be assured that the person would never hurt you or dump you. However, still there is the healthy fear of making sure you don't do or say anything that could spoil your relating.

Edited by com7fy8
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/12/2022 at 5:07 PM, com7fy8 said:

There is another thing I have considered. When you have a very special relationship with someone, you might be assured that the person would never hurt you or dump you.

And there's the rub. I'm sure many/some here have been betrayed by a really good friend at some time. It happens.
Maybe as an adult, more likely as a child in the formative years. My parents weren't perfect, nor my friends. Nor I.
This can raise future barriers inhibiting being vulnerable, difficult acceptance of offered friendship or love.
False data is sometimes hard to dig out. But we as believers, grafted to the true vine,  have a vine pruner, the Father, who cuts off what's unnecessary/harmful to our bearing fruit. When we abide.

Good post, com7fy8...default_thumbsup.gif.ee213654f91bbb2433108271e5e8b940.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

5 hours ago, Starise said:

Please no silly questions like - Did Adam have a belly button?

But did he?

• Haha 3
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

2 hours ago, Sower said:

I did a study many years back on the word 'fear' in scripture, found 383 ea word's fear. The vast majority definition is what we think it means, frightened, alarmed, afraid, terror etc. Also some few instances, be in awe, reverence. (The Father is the Vine tender/vine dresser, and He will cut off what does hinder us bearing much fruit)

Many do not like to think of our loving God as someone to ever fear, but only reverence. That is not scriptural.
The “fear” that perfect loves casts out is the fear of God’s judgment.  Believers need not fear judgement for sure.
This could open up a can of worms, and we ain't fishing here. 
My small understanding/experience,        I feared my Marine drill instructors like no others. But upon graduating into a "Marine" and leaving boot camp, I had tears. I had never had anyone care about me so much and that I would be prepared to engage the enemy as a totally equipped Marine. They went to the extreme to drill into my head and body all that was necessary. I feared them, and at the same time I loved them, as they were trying to protect me from 'death'.   Weird huh.

“God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (believers)

Back to the OP!!

Maybe you have heard this description of God before since this is not an original idea of mine. I have adopted it though because it make a lot of sense and I think it shows our incomplete comprehension of God.

It has been suggested that we tend to see our heavenly Father the way we view or viewed our earthly Father. I think this is a grain of truth to that. If we had terrible oppressive fathers we might think our heavenly Father is this way. If we had a kind understanding father we might think this of our heavenly Father.

Really neither description is accurate since God is so much more complex. The Bible tells us He is slow to anger, so some might conclude He seldom or almost never gets angry, but he does get angry at disobedience and sin.When He gets angry He is always fair. He cannot tolerate sin. Sin left unpaid by His Son will have to be dealt with. The results of that are terrible for those who haven't come to Christ.

As a perfect being who is bringing His creation to eventual perfection, His house will be set in order. He has made one provision for men when He never was required to do so. That one provision is Jesus Christ. Reject Him and you assure judgement on yourself.

Edited by Starise

4 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

But did he?

We would need to ask Eve. And was it one of those popped out belly buttons or was it a big hole?

46 minutes ago, com7fy8 said:

How about before human history? 

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)

Could this scripture be telling us something about when and how Christianity began?

I thought I alluded to this in the first part of my answer, but maybe you seen it as incomplete. God has ALWAYS had a plan.

If we break it down to the historical position which looks at the term itself, this is different than looking at a bigger picture 

For me the question would be, did God always have a plan to rescue sinful men? I would say yes. Was this plan always called Christianity? No. This opens up a can of worms as Sower puts it, because it takes us into how men were saved BEFORE Jesus.

I believe some men were obedient to God. They knew nothing of Jesus yet unless it was revealed to them, however this does not mean Jesus did not impact their salvation.OT times were precursor times and what men did then in obedience to God was an assurance of trust in Yahweh. This was 'counted' to them for righteousness. That righteousness will ALWAYS come through Christ.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

48 minutes ago, Starise said:

It has been suggested that we tend to see our heavenly Father the way we view or viewed our earthly Father. I think this is a grain of truth to that. If we had terrible oppressive fathers we might think our heavenly Father is this way. If we had a kind understanding father we might think this of our heavenly Father.

default_thumbsup.gif.1a089a9c5f3473a6119aab61bbfac4c1.gif    Definitely agree..Starise. And I believe it's a biggie, for some to overcome.

When I watch some movies where the father and son are at odds, the son trying to please and make his dad proud, lot of fighting,then at the end they come together and the dad is proud of his son, and they hug or whatever, I lose it.
I was oldest ablebodied of seven, never knew what adolescence was, my dad an alcoholic. We fought till I left to join the Marines, just to get away.. This was not uncommon amongst friends I knew. Years after salvation I was taught how to deal with it. Counseling.

I went home, placed two chairs facing each other, sat down in one, and talked to my dad, imagining him sitting there. He was dead. I got it all off my chest, the anger, disappointment, and a hundred 'whys'. At the end I sobbed more then I ever had.
And then we were good. Now, to get rid of all that false data, bad programming. The formative years sometimes really suck.
But then Christ entered in. And ABBA!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

1 hour ago, Sower said:

default_thumbsup.gif.1a089a9c5f3473a6119aab61bbfac4c1.gif    Definitely agree..Starise. And I believe it's a biggie, for some to overcome.

When I watch some movies where the father and son are at odds, the son trying to please and make his dad proud, lot of fighting,then at the end they come together and the dad is proud of his son, and they hug or whatever, I lose it.
I was oldest ablebodied of seven, never knew what adolescence was, my dad an alcoholic. We fought till I left to join the Marines, just to get away.. This was not uncommon amongst friends I knew. Years after salvation I was taught how to deal with it. Counseling.

I went home, placed two chairs facing each other, sat down in one, and talked to my dad, imagining him sitting there. He was dead. I got it all off my chest, the anger, disappointment, and a hundred 'whys'. At the end I sobbed more then I ever had.
And then we were good. Now, to get rid of all that false data, bad programming. The formative years sometimes really suck.
But then Christ entered in. And ABBA!

What a great story of the ways God has worked in your life. God can heal wounds both external and internal. I'll just say I had a similar experience. Forgiveness is the water that quenches the flames.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

15 hours ago, Starise said:

In answer to - Where did Christianity begin?

The disciples were called Christians first in Antioch. (Acts 11:26)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

17 hours ago, Starise said:

Ask Me Anything About Christianity

What does the Bible actually teach about how we are to parent our Children. Esp what does it mean to raise up a child in the way they are to go?