• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,139
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

16 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Lets not be difficult. One part showed the importance of considering the cost. The other pointed out that the near 50 year old man shouldnt pursue whats basically a child and asking where her parents were in this.

Blessings creative

Exactly what I was thinking when I read your OP.......what business does a 44yr old man have with a 16 yr old child.....apparantly the parents consented because she was not yet 18 & would need parental consent,right?

I cannot even blame the child,how could she "know better" at 16 yrs old? And what can we expect from the secular world anyway?Maybe she had not parents "per say" she might have been dumped with some relative,foster home-hard to know anything with such little information but I would dare to speculate ...It probably seemed better to her to leave wherever she was...?                        Sad story,I hope they all came to Jesus in the end!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings creative

Exactly what I was thinking when I read your OP.......what business does a 44yr old man have with a 16 yr old child.....apparantly the parents consented because she was not yet 18 & would need parental consent,right?

I cannot even blame the child,how could she "know better" at 16 yrs old? And what can we expect from the secular world anyway?Maybe she had not parents "per say" she might have been dumped with some relative,foster home-hard to know anything with such little information but I would dare to speculate ...It probably seemed better to her to leave wherever she was...?                        Sad story,I hope they all came to Jesus in the end!

As @Jayne pointed out recently, this letter dates from the '50's when this type of spousal age difference spread was certainly more common than today.

There is also a lot of missing information in the letter, as you suggested in your post, to better contextualize the whole matter.

Edited by teddyv
added thought

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

still doesnt change my original point. Count the cost. People talk about divorces being more prevalent now than then but fail to point out that because of no fault divorce and  women having far more options now than be a dependent house wife , people  may have left awful abusive marriages that in past decades they would have stayed.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,139
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

1 hour ago, teddyv said:

As @Jayne pointed out recently, this letter dates from the '50's when this type of spousal age difference spread was certainly more common than today.

There is also a lot of missing information in the letter, as you suggested in your post, to better contextualize the whole matter.

Yes,I read Jaynes post- in the 1950s a child of 16yrs certainly needed a signed consent affadavit to be wed,at least in the State of New York-2 of my Dad's 4 sisters were married at age 16 & 1 at 15 yrs of age- my Grandparents had to consent before they could obtain a marriage license .

I seriously doubt anyone of my ancestors would have consented to their daughters marrying anyone so many years their senior,I don't believe it was " common" except perhaps with a large dowry for a poor family in a fixed marriage????? Don't know

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Yes,I read Jaynes post- in the 1950s a child of 16yrs certainly needed a signed consent affadavit to be wed,at least in the State of New York-2 of my Dad's 4 sisters were married at age 16 & 1 at 15 yrs of age- my Grandparents had to consent before they could obtain a marriage license .

I seriously doubt anyone of my ancestors would have consented to their daughters marrying anyone so many years their senior,I don't believe it was " common" except perhaps with a large dowry for a poor family in a fixed marriage????? Don't know

Unless they were Mormons, perhaps.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Dear Abby was a pen name. Her real name was Pauline Phillips. She died in 2013. She might have given wise advise but I don't know if she was a Christian. We really need to bring our issues to God not Dear Abby. 

Abby and her sister were talking about what was socially appropriate. People do not much care about peer pressure now as much as they did back then.