IGNORED

"poor in spirit" > how does this work for relationships?

com7fy8

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

"'Blessed are the poor in spirit," Jesus says in Matthew 5:3.

Well, Jesus makes us spiritually rich; so I see He does not mean we are blessed to be poor in the things of the Holy Spirit. 

I think He means it is blessed to be "poor" in our desire for things of this life, instead of desiring and seeking to be rich in this world. And our Apostle Paul does say > 

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, from which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1 Timothy 6:9-10)

So, even in this life ones can lose their souls, then, by piercing themselves with sorrows and drowning in their lusts. Even in this life, already ones are reaping emotionally according to what they have been sowing!! So . . . not only for our relating with others, but for our own souls' emotional sake, we need to be "poor in spirit". We can become like the thing or whoever we love and trust and depend on. And money gets worn out and may be burned. And other humans can be unstable, so we can likewise go this way and that way and up and down and all around, if we hang only on people. But if we set our minds on Jesus who is stable and of almighty peace > 

"'You will keep him in perfect peace,

. .Whose mind is stayed on you,

. .Because he trusts in you.'" 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Psalm 26:3)

So, we can become as the things or ones or the One we depend on and who has control of our attention. 

In Hebrews 13:5 we have > 

"be content with such things as you have".

But ones can desire control in this world. I think this can be a part of being rich: even if a person does not have a lot of things, he or she can seek and have a lot of control. 

And there can be people hoarders. This is like how ones can hoard materials in the place where they live. And animal hoarders can gather a lot of animals and suppose they are rescuing them . . . right while the animals are not getting what they need. Likewise, there are people who try to possess people, but they can not give people the love and attention they need. Maybe friending on Facebook is something like this :)

So, if I am not trying to use people or just hoard and control them, this can help me to get into genuinely loving other people. Be "poor in spirit" in how I relate with people . . . not trying to be rich in controlling and possessing and using people, and this can feed me into having more and more love in God's family caring and sharing way. 

But how might we truly help each other? 

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

God uses our example. Yes, God is committed to using prayer, but also our good example . . . taking the lead in what others need to do, but not just trying to control people to do what we dictate, or else ones can copy-cat what we may want but not have the character of Jesus for doing what is really good, with God. You can read and feed on how example can be used by God, in 1 Peter 3:1-4 < this is just one example :)

So, if I am not trying and hoping to be rich in money and control and social activity, but instead I am content with all God pleases to share with me . . . this can help me to relate kindly and caringly with other people. I am not looking first for how I can use each person, but first love and care about each person. Appreciate every moment, even, to be with any other person so I can love him or her the way God blesses me to > opening the post office door with a smile for someone, not just pushing through a check-out line to get past the clerk and others in line. But Jesus has us loving each and every person.

I myself have had a very bad way of first seeing how attractive a woman looks . . . instead of first caring equally about each woman. I need to pray blessing to people, love them and feel for them. But judging by looks can right away have me making one person more important than someone else, just because of what someone looks like! This is anti-love. And I don't even know the person!

And that is another thing > I would say we all need to not quickly judge about how important we consider a person to be. But political stuff can trick us into giving much attention first to whoever we feel is important in politics. And with this we can have a way of not being attentive and loving with ones we consider not so important. But Jesus says >

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" in Matthew 5:46. So, Jesus wants us to love each and every person.

So . . . right now I think of this > I should not be trying to be rich in importance . . . being praised for how I might counsel people, or wanting to see a lot of views for something I have written. 

But I do not need to only do things with people who are in great need, but appreciate sharing with any person, in love.

Jesus did not come here and just minister to needs and do great wonders that got Him a big name. And He did not go along with how certain ones tried to make Him important. Ones tried to make Him a king, and He got away from them! >

"Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone." (John 6:15)

So, how's that for a political strategy? 

Does this mean not to be involved in politics? We could discuss this. But I see how ones are only trying to use politicians and they are trying to conquer other people in order to get what they want from politics. And if we support a politician who desires to be rich . . . where is getting rich going to get that person? Jesus says,

"'For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?'" (in Matthew 16:26)

Did Jesus just use up people, in order to get what He wants . . . in order to conquer others?

Mark 3:14 says > 

"Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach," (Mark 3:14)

He did not just choose the apostles so He could use them, but first, it says here, "that they might be with Him".

Jesus spent time with people, quality time, personal and in private and in that garden. I see how He wanted them so He could love them, not only to tell them things to do. He cared about how people are, how they are loving or not. And He shared with them so they could experience how He is and loves, so they could feed on His example and become and love like Jesus.

And so, I would say, Jesus is the definition of being "poor in spirit" . . . not caring about this world's things and control, but first caring about our Father's will and about us being changed to be and to love like Jesus, so we can enjoy this for eternity as well as now.

Jesus does not just use people up like toilet paper. But we see how some number of employers and politicians and ministries, even, can toilet-paper people. And men can use women like toilet paper for their lusts and abuse. And even though we have been so wasted and emotionally messed-up by this evil world's ways of using us, Jesus wants us >

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)

Jesus does not just use us up and throw us out!! Jesus does not waste us and tear us and burn us out and stress us out. But Jesus takes care of us spiritually and emotionally while He has us doing things to love any and all people. His creativity for how to serve is in His love and in His peace ruling us in our hearts > 

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Every child of God is called to be ruled by God in His own peace in our hearts.

This is basic to doing whatever God really has called us to do . . . to do it in His own peace ruling in our hearts.

So, this basic of our calling is that we submit to how our Father rules us in His own peace in our "hearts". This is ruling; and isn't ruling all the time? . . . no time out from God's own peace, I see that God means, here. So, God expects us to be taken care of by His own peace in us while we do whatever He really desires. This is our Creator's own peace with His almighty power to guard us against any sort of unkind emotional stuff like hurts and unforgiveness and stress and burn-out and abusive and wasting anger and arguing and boredom and loneliness and depression and dominating and controlling drives for pleasure and security < we are not to submit to such stuff, but pray the way God's word says (1 Timothy 2:1-4, Philippians 4:6-7), "and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (in Philippians 4:6-7) 

Be "poor in spirit", then . . . not letting ourselves be wasted by what is not poor in spirit, such as by drives of pressure and guilt-tripping and frustration and dissatisfaction and fears and worry. Worry is a pathological lier, and more abusive than we ever would allow a lot of people to be with us; yet, ones keep letting themselves be cruelly treated by worry! And they even trust and obey how worry would drive them to do things and take their attention away from God. 

But ones would say if we ignore worry, we can be irresponsible. But worry can have us focusing on how we ourselves are able to handle things or not. So, it is anti-God . . . against first depending on how God is able. And does worry ever bring our attention to how obedience can accomplish much more than our human effort? I think of Genesis 22:18 >

"'In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.'" (Genesis 22:18)

The LORD said this to Abraham after he offered up his son Isaac. Abraham was alone with Isaac. He simply did what God told him to do. But because he was obeying God . . . "all the nations of the earth" have been "blessed".

How much did Abraham have to do politically or socially or using his great wealth, in order to get all nations blessed? He simply obeyed God. And because God is all-loving . . . what Abraham did has had an all-loving result. 

I understand, then, and offer: that this is our example, of how things will work for us, also, if we really simply do what God has us doing . . . at every moment, even. Being ruled means all the time, and our Father desires to personally rule every one of us in His own peace, and here is where are His all-loving guiding with His all-loving results: in His own peace ruling us in family caring and sharing with one another. If we obey God who is all-loving and so about family sharing and caring, we get all-loving and family results; because God is committed to making obedience work . . . along with prayer and example.

And this does more than what any amount of conquerors can do with their various methods of conquering. There are military and political and social conquerors who use force, fear, hate, money, charm, and deceit to get what they are capable of getting with such methods. And after they gain the whole world of what they want . . . what does Jesus say they can get?

"'For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?'" (Mark 8:36)

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Romans 8:37)

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

"the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (in Philippians 4:6-7)

There are medical conquerors who are trying to use methods and medicines to conqueror the mind. But only God's peace is almighty and spiritual for taking care of our minds in Christ Jesus. Physical methods and arranging circumstances and physical drugs can not reach our spiritual minds with our emotions spiritual which are rooted in the desires of our hearts which are spiritual. Only God is able to cure our character which is in our spiritual minds! And then we have the character to be submissive to God in His peace so we can personally share with God in His love while relating humbly and kindly with one another > 

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

Not trying to conquer each other, but being poor in spirit so we do not depend on our own ways to control others, but we depend on God to use our good example to help one another > 

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

So - - - if you actually read this :) It is good to see you :) God bless you, t:):) And God's word does say > 

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another" > this is in Colossians 3:16. So yes God wants you also to share, to feed us with however God has blessed you in His word. We are all this important in Jesus, how every one of us can minister God's own grace, including by ministering His word to each other > 

"As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." (1 Peter 4:10)

Edited by com7fy8

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

To be poor in spirit means more than simply being humble, though humility is certainly a requirement for spiritual blessing. The povery called for here is a strong term for being so impoverished one is reduced to begging. 

The person who recognizes his or her true spiritual poverty before God will "mourn". This mourning includes grief caused by both personal sin and loss and social evil and oppression. The one who turns in sorrow to God will receive His comfort.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  11

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

- Matthew 5:3 (NKJV)

Very happy indeed are the truly humble in spirit who deny self and immerse themselves totally in the Holy Spirit of God and in His kingdom.

—Selah  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

While ὁ πένης is of narrow means, one who “earns a scanty pittance,” πρωχός is allied to the verb πτώσσειν, to crouch or cringe, and therefore conveys the idea of utter destitution, which abjectly solicits and lives by alms. Hence it is applied to Lazarus (Luk 16:20, Luk 16:22), and rendered beggar. Thus distinguished, it is very graphic and appropriate here, as denoting the utter spiritual destitution, the consciousness of which precedes the entrance into the kingdom of God, and which cannot be relieved by one's own efforts, but only by the free mercy of God.  Vincent

I see poor in spirit as recognizing our spiritual bankruptcy.    It isn't until we know we are utterly lost and without hope that we cast ourselves fully on God's mercy and grace.  That is when God can give us the Kingdom of Heaven which is a free gift based on the merits and sacrifice of Christ on our behalf.  

As long as we think we can change ourselves and become better people we are depending on self righteousness and not on Christ's righteousness.

• Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16

18 hours ago, missmuffet said:

To be poor in spirit means more than simply being humble, though humility is certainly a requirement for spiritual blessing. The povery called for here is a strong term for being so impoverished one is reduced to begging. 

The person who recognizes his or her true spiritual poverty before God will "mourn". This mourning includes grief caused by both personal sin and loss and social evil and oppression. The one who turns in sorrow to God will receive His comfort.

I think this is overdoing it.  To me, being poor in spirit means not being proud and selfish.  It means loving others more than one's self.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I'm with Willa here.

"Poor in spirit" means that one recognizes that he/she is spiritually "bankrupt" as Willa described.

There is a pattern of steps of living to the beatitudes.

• "poor in spirit" = recognize the reality of who you are - a vile sinner
  • "blessed are they who mourn" = go beyond recognition to actually sorrow
  • "bless are the meek" =  humble yourself before God
  • "blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness" = now, to crave righteousness like your crave food and drink
  • "blessed are the merciful" = begin to treat others with mercy [love]
  • "blessed are the pure of heart" = your heart will change drastically
  • "blessed are the peacemakers" = your life, whether being a mediator or taking the side of Godliness  to oppose evil,  will make a huge difference in the world even if it's your small world
  • "blessed are those persecuted for righteousness' sake" = at this point expect persecution

3 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I think this is overdoing it.  To me, being poor in spirit means not being proud and selfish.  It means loving others more than one's self.

No, many do not have the true meaning of poor in spirit.

10 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

No, many do not have the true meaning of poor in spirit.

So, according to oyu, what is the true meaning?

Here is what "The Believers Bible Commentary" says: The poor in spirit are those who acknowledge their own helplessness and rely on God’s omnipotence. They sense their spiritual need and find it supplied in the Lord. The kingdom of heaven, where self-sufficiency is no virtue and self-exaltation is a vice, belongs to such people." 

Edited by JimmyB
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

So, according to oyu, what is the true meaning?

Here is what "The Believers Bible Commentary" says: The poor in spirit are those who acknowledge their own helplessness and rely on God’s omnipotence. They sense their spiritual need and find it supplied in the Lord. The kingdom of heaven, where self-sufficiency is no virtue and self-exaltation is a vice, belongs to such people." 

I already posted that. 

19 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I already posted that. 

Okay.  I hate to waste your precious time.  Obviously you are not poor in spirit.