IGNORED

"poor in spirit" > how does this work for relationships?

com7fy8

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I already posted that. 

Thank you :)

Others here have given the evangelistic idea, that a person is blessed by admitting he or she is a sinner who is destitute and totally undeserving, can do nothing right by oneself, and therefore the person needs to trust in Jesus.

I think "poor in spirit" can also go for a child of God who is growing in Jesus. The person is like a crouching beggar who appreciates whatever our Father pleases to do with the person.

You might have related with panhandlers who will lavishly thank you for any amount of money you give them. And they might especially appreciate you giving them some attention to talk with them, even if you don't give them money.

Edited by com7fy8
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

2 minutes ago, com7fy8 said:

Thank you :)

Others here have given the evangelistic idea, the a person is blessed by admitting he or she is a sinner who is destitute and totally undeserving, can do nothing right by oneself, and therefore the person needs to trust in Jesus.

I think "poor in spirit" can also go for a child of God who is growing in Jesus. The person is like a crouching beggar who appreciates whatever our Father pleases to do with the person.

You might have related with panhandlers who will lavishly thank you for any amount of money you give them. And they might especially appreciate you giving them some attention to talk with them, even if you don't give them money.

Yes, something like that :)

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

49 minutes ago, com7fy8 said:

Others here have given the evangelistic idea, that a person is blessed by admitting he or she is a sinner who is destitute and totally undeserving, can do nothing right by oneself, and therefore the person needs to trust in Jesus.

I don't see the word evangelism in what I wrote. Maybe someone else did.

In fact, I left out a concrete idea of salvation as so relate the beatitudes to both the sinner [who gets saved] and the saved who is being sanctified and/or revived.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

While I used salvation as an example, the same holds true that when we recognize our need, that we have done all that we know how to do or that the Bible instructs us to do and are at the end of our selves, that then we cast ourselves on God's grace.  This can apply to answers to desperate prayer needs as well.

Eph 6:13  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 9/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, com7fy8 said:

"'Blessed are the poor in spirit," Jesus says in Matthew 5:3.

Well, Jesus makes us spiritually rich; so I see He does not mean we are blessed to be poor in the things of the Holy Spirit. 

I think He means it is blessed to be "poor" in our desire for things of this life, instead of desiring and seeking to be rich in this world. And our Apostle Paul does say > 

Nope, like many here, this posting is to use scripture to validate or justify to others what the poster thinks, or what the poster wants others to think. Whereas poor in spirit is just that, lacking things of the spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of God according to Jesus. Meaning they shall be fulfilled in Spirit. But one must come to the knowledge that they are poor in Spirit before seeking fulfillment in Christ. And surly, using scripture for one's own means and agendas, would be a poor in spirit activity.

Edited by DPMartin

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16

6 hours ago, DPMartin said:

Nope, like many here, this posting is to use scripture to validate or justify to others what the poster thinks, or what the poster wants others to think. Whereas poor in spirit is just that, lacking things of the spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of God according to Jesus. Meaning they shall be fulfilled in Spirit. But one must come to the knowledge that they are poor in Spirit before seeking fulfillment in Christ. And surly, using scripture for one's own means and agendas, would be a poor in spirit activity.

This makes no sense.  Being poor in spirit means simply that you're not proud, i.e., "full of yourself".  

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,209
  • Content Per Day:  2.08

I think, "Blessed are the poor in Spirit" means "Blessed are the poor in Spirit". I do not believe in what is supposed to be a Capitalist society, That God wants us to be poor. He doesn't want us to go in to debt over nothing, But he also does not want us to be poor. This is not the American way. Blessings. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

17 hours ago, JimmyB said:

This makes no sense.  Being poor in spirit means simply that you're not proud, i.e., "full of yourself".  

really? so you’re saying Jesus is poor in spirit, you know the One who walks in the full power of the Presence of God who is a Spirit, and we are supposed to lack in spirit?

Read the context in which Jesus is talking here:

Mat 5:3  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

Mat 5:4  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 

Mat 5:5  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 

Mat 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 

Mat 5:7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 

Mat 5:8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 

Mat 5:9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 

Many of these statements speak to a lack of, and a fulfillment therein.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16

7 minutes ago, DPMartin said:

really? so you’re saying Jesus is poor in spirit, you know the One who walks in the full power of the Presence of God who is a Spirit, and we are supposed to lack in spirit?

Read the context in which Jesus is talking here:

Mat 5:3  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

Mat 5:4  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 

Mat 5:5  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 

Mat 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 

Mat 5:7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 

Mat 5:8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 

Mat 5:9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 

Many of these statements speak to a lack of, and a fulfillment therein.

So you actually think that Jesus was full of Himself?  Matthew quoted Him saying "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" Matthew 11:20 And one of the verses you cited says "Mat 5:3  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."  Clearly you don't understand what "poor in spirit" means.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

May I add, blessed does not mean Happy.  Although being blessed in can lead to happiness.  Being blessed of God means God is working on your behalf to protect, save, deliver, and prosper you.  It is the opposite of being cursed of God.  There are many wicked people that are happy but they are not blessed by God.  Israel was blessed of God as long as they lived according to the covenant but when they became prideful and turned their backs on God they became cursed.  Read Deut 28 about what it means to be blessed and cursed.

I agree being "poor in spirit" means being humble, contrite, and seeing their need for God's help.

• Thumbs Up 1