IGNORED

"poor in spirit" > how does this work for relationships?

com7fy8

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

I agree being "poor in spirit" means being humble, contrite, and seeing their need for God's help.

I would say, yes, and then poor in spirit becomes in us how Jesus is poor in spirit . . . as we grow in how Jesus is humble.

He is poor, meaning He does not care about being how this world can make someone rich. But ones say "poor" means crouching like a beggar. Well, Jesus has submitted to our Father in order to receive only what our Father pleases to give Him. So, I see it can mean how Jesus crouched with His focus only toward our Father, and not toward how this evil world promises to make someone rich (Jesus said no to that, when tempted by Satan)

• Well Said! 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,105
  • Content Per Day:  1.41

On 9/16/2022 at 11:16 AM, com7fy8 said:

"'Blessed are the poor in spirit," Jesus says in Matthew 5:3.

Well, Jesus makes us spiritually rich; so I see He does not mean we are blessed to be poor in the things of the Holy Spirit. 

I think He means it is blessed to be "poor" in our desire for things of this life, instead of desiring and seeking to be rich in this world. And our Apostle Paul does say > 

This simply means Blessed are they who can never get enough of the Holy Spirits indwelling, who keep going back to that River that never runs dry (as the song says).

That is why it is followed by "For theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven". In the Spirit man we are pure because we are in Christ Jesus, in the flesh man we are bound by sin nature. So, Jesus is just saying, those who can never get enough of my Spirit is a blessed person. Poor in Spirit means we always thirst for more of God. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 9/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, com7fy8 said:

"'Blessed are the poor in spirit," Jesus says in Matthew 5:3.

Well, Jesus makes us spiritually rich; so I see He does not mean we are blessed to be poor in the things of the Holy Spirit. 

I think He means it is blessed to be "poor" in our desire for things of this life, instead of desiring and seeking to be rich in this world.

What is this? Really, can anyone take scripture out of context and hack its true meaning any more then this OP?

Are you taking lessons from Joel Osteen?

No Jesus is talking about the poor in spirit will be fulfilled just as the meek shall inherit the earth. Poor in worldly goods or even no desire to have worldly goods like a Buddhist monk isn’t what Jesus is talking about, and when Jesus speaks of Spirit it’s from the view of Heaven.

WOW what a feel good hack job

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

18 minutes ago, DPMartin said:

What is this? 

Our Apostle Paul says,

"But those who desire to be rich fall" >

He does not say those who are rich, but those who "desire".

And Jesus says if a man desires a woman for what is wrong, already . . . by just desiring . . . he is in trouble.

So . . . this is part of what I am talking about. Unless you understand this, you can't get what I mean.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

On 10/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, DPMartin said:

What is this? Really, can anyone take scripture out of context and hack its true meaning any more then this OP?

Are you taking lessons from Joel Osteen?

No Jesus is talking about the poor in spirit will be fulfilled just as the meek shall inherit the earth. Poor in worldly goods or even no desire to have worldly goods like a Buddhist monk isn’t what Jesus is talking about, and when Jesus speaks of Spirit it’s from the view of Heaven.

WOW what a feel good hack job

The "poor in spirit" are those who recognise that, in their fallen humanity, they are spiritually poverty stricken.  They are the humble ones, who acknowledge that there is nothing good in them, except what God puts there.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

7 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The "poor in spirit" are those who recognise that, in their fallen humanity, they are spiritually poverty stricken.  They are the humble ones, who acknowledge that there is nothing good in them, except what God puts there.

The simplest explanation are often best--I so agree.

"this treasure in an earthen vessel".

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2022 at 12:00 PM, David1701 said:

yes and no; All without the Holy Spirit within are poor in Spirit as Jesus speaks of, acknowledgement of one’s such condition, in the Presence of the Lord, brings one to be blessed. Seeing that the Lord hears the humble.

7 hours ago, DPMartin said:

yes and no; All without the Holy Spirit within are poor in Spirit as Jesus speaks of, acknowledgement of one’s such condition, in the Presence of the Lord, brings one to be blessed. Seeing that the Lord hears the humble.

The Lord opens your eyes, to see your spiritual poverty, which is itself a blessing, and leads to more blessing.

It's all of God.

16 hours ago, David1701 said:

The Lord opens your eyes, to see your spiritual poverty, which is itself a blessing, and leads to more blessing.

It's all of God.

As far as the Lord opening your eyes, I’d say man knows he is depraved, just doesn’t want to admit it because men love their own judgement of what is good and evil and believe its their entitlement. Disregarding God’s judgement of what is good and evil. And the result of man’s judgement is death, whereas God’s Judgement is Life.

But its true that to admit, or to use religion lingo, to confess is half the battle in such cases that brings repentance.

4 minutes ago, DPMartin said:

As far as the Lord opening your eyes, I’d say man knows he is depraved, just doesn’t want to admit it because men love their own judgement of what is good and evil and believe its their entitlement. Disregarding God’s judgement of what is good and evil. And the result of man’s judgement is death, whereas God’s Judgement is Life.

But its true that to admit, or to use religion lingo, to confess is half the battle in such cases that brings repentance.

Most people, when asked if they think they are good, reply that they are.  It is when God's law is applied to their conscience that they begin to realise that they are not.

I've seen numerous conversations like this, in the street evangelism of Ray Comfort.