IGNORED

God tempted Abraham? But God doesn't tempt?

plo1988

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Genesis 22:1
King James Version
22 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

James 1:13
King James Version
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

"neither tempteth he any man" How can this be the case when he tempted Abraham?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Was it a different kind of temptation? (also this thread might be better suited for "Do you want to just ask a question?")

Edited by plo1988

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Truthfully, I have never quite understood that as well, because scripture clearly shows that God test/try/proves the hearts of men.  Could you imagine God telling you to offer up your son or daughter as a sacrifice.  Clearly this would be seen as murder/human sacrifice which is an evil act in our eyes and understanding.  Abraham was obliviously a man of great faith to understand God would make way out of it without having to sacrificing his son, but he was willing to go through with it even if God had to raise him for the dead.

The Greek word used for tempt: equates to testing, trying, proving, examine

Yet, O LORD of hosts, You who test the righteous, Who see the mind and the heart; Let me see Your vengeance on them; For to You I have set forth my cause. - Jer 20:12

And I will put this third into the fire, and refine them as one refines silver, and test them as gold is tested. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them. I will say, 'They are my people'; and they will say, 'The LORD is my God.'" - Zec 13:9

Prove me, O LORD, and try me; test my heart and my mind. - Psa 26:2

..For the righteous God tries the hearts and minds. - Psa 7:9 

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

46 minutes ago, plo1988 said:

Genesis 22:1
King James Version
22 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

James 1:13
King James Version
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

You are using two different words that LOOK the same in English but are not.  Thus, the confusion.

• The word "tempt" in Genesis 22 is the Hebrew word נָסָה [nasa = pronounced naw-saw].  It means "to test; to prove; to try".   God is putting Abraham to the test to see if his faith is where it should be.  GOD already knows where Abraham's faith is, but ABRAHAM doesn't fully get it yet.  But he will.  And he will be able to teach others.

• The word "tempteth" in James 1 is a Greek word - πειράζω [peirazō  - pronounced pi-rad-zo].  It can mean "to test" or "to try", but it also includes the meanings of "to test maliciously", "to solicit to sin",  "enticement to sin", and "temptations of the devil".

In Genesis 22, God is trying to "prove" something about Abraham - that he is righteous.

In James 1, James is saying that God does not "solicit people to sin as the devil does."

[Jayne - just passing through]

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

In both the OT and NT the word "test" means"to prove by trial". When God tests His children, His purpose is to prove that our faith is real. God knows all things, but He is proving to us that our faith is real. We do know that God will never allow us to be tested beyond what we are able to handle. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

4 hours ago, plo1988 said:

Another example of trying to live in the 21 century using 16th centuary language.

One of the old meanings of tempt = test.

Suggestion, use biblegateway and read any passages you have querres on in a modern english translation.

God didn't tempt Abraham, he tested him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  348
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,501
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Above, @Jayne gave an excellent explanation, and I will insert some additional opinions. Context, we already know the Lord never has or ever will “tempt” anyone with evil, as shown in the scripture provided in a previous post. Therefore, the word must have a different meaning than we think today; it is not a contradiction. Many Greek and Hebrew words have no English equivalents.

Word meanings, interpretations, and understandings are in a constant state of change and flux. I am taking the time to respond to this post today because I feel “gay.”

#1 - GAY, (1828 A.D.) a. [Fr. gai; Arm. gae; It. gaio, gay. In Sp. gaya is a stripe of different colors on stuffs; gaytero is gaudy; and gayo is a jay. The W. has gwyç, gay, gaudy, brave. This is a contracted word, but whether from the root of gaudy, or not, is not obvious. In some of its applications, it seems allied to joy.] 1. Merry; airy; jovial; sportive; frolick-some. It denotes more life and animation than cheerful .Belinda smiled, and all the world was gay.          Pope. 2. Fine; showy; as a gay dress.[1]

#2 - GAY, (today) 1gay \ˈgā\ adjective [Middle English, from Anglo-French gai, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German gāhi quick, sudden] 14th century 3: given to social pleasures also: licentious 4         a: homosexual gay men> b: of, relating to, or used by homosexuals the gay rights movement a gay bar synonym see lively—gay adverb—gay•ness noun[2]

The “context” of my meaning is naturally number one. This example of “tempt” is a classic example of where quality, semantic language lexicons shine in Bible study, as Jayne utilized.

[2] Merriam-Webster, Inc. Merriam-Webster’s collegiate dictionary. 2003: n. pag. Print.