IGNORED

Is it possible that homosexuality is a birth defect?

Not of the World

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  1

I believe some are "born" gay. Is it possible that such an unnatural desire is, in some cases, a birth defect just like being born with only one arm is a birth defect?  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

We know it is not genetic because they do not reproduce themselves. 

• Brilliant! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  418
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Not of the World said:

I believe some are "born" gay. Is it possible that such an unnatural desire is, in some cases, a birth defect just like being born with only one arm is a birth defect?  

Is homosexuality genetically influenced?  I believe that is the question posed.  Sometimes this matter is phrased as "born or bred" or "nature or nurture."  The science appears to be unclear at this time regarding "why" gay people are the way they are.  But the real question is, "does it matter?"  If the Bible condemns behavior X, then behavior X is wrong, regardless of one's "natural proclivities."

Another way to phrase it is, if someone has a genetic predisposition to becoming angry or losing one's temper, then is he absolved from working on his sinful nature?  Of course not!  There are many scriptures (James 1:19-20 is just one example) that show that Christians need to control their anger and we all know people who are by nature calm, low-intensity people and who just simply don't get mad.  For these folks, avoiding anger is easy!  But for other Christians, controlling their emotional outbursts is an ongoing challenge for which they pray for help. 

So for those who are tempted by homosexuality, we feel for their struggle, but a struggle it is and those unnatural feelings (unnatural is defined by God, not by us) they may combat them for life.  But we all have internal struggles, they just differ from person to person.  Romans 7:15-20 is a great verse as it shows that we ALL struggle to do what is right and just as the Apostle Paul fought against his sinful inclinations, so must we all.  It's just that our sinful inclinations vary from person to person.

Christians who have homosexual tendencies can either remain single and celibate or they can marry and if they are honest with their potential mate about their inclinations and the prospective mate is agreeable, then they can enjoy marriage in a heterosexual fashion.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

6 hours ago, Not of the World said:

It is "possible".

However, scientists have been searching for a biological origin of human homosexuality for over three decades, and not found any facts supporting the claim that "some are born gay".

I'd say it's more likely that some people are born with a biological predisposition towards homosexuality. That is, they are not "born gay" per se, but certain environmental conditions may entice people with this predisposition down the path of homosexuality - but if they don't experience those specific conditions, they won't stray down the path of homosexuality; whereas others without the biological disposition, who experience the same conditions, will remain heterosexual regardless.

Having looked into the research a while back, I'm personally more inclined to think homosexuality is mostly environmental.

• Well Said! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.47
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I am a man. I am attracted to beautiful women.

I am married.

I choose to not act or dwell on that attraction.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,515
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

7 hours ago, Not of the World said:

By that reasoning, it seems to me then, people could be inherently born a murder, pedophiles, abusers, or rapists. We have free will choices to do, or not to do something. The preceding is acting out. Are children born with diabetes, or does it develop over time? 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

By that reasoning, it seems to me then, people could be inherently born a murder, pedophiles, abusers, or rapists.

That might actually be true.  I used to work with very young children and there were some that had great difficulty controlling their behavior. 

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Alive said:

I am attracted to beautiful women.

Which is natural. Males being attracted to other males is NOT.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.47
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Just now, Not of the World said:

That might actually be true.  I used to work with very young children and there were some that had great difficulty controlling their behavior. 

Having observed my own 4 and watched numerous others over years of home church, I learned something.

Children need to be taught where the turn off switch is.

Have you ever seen a child in a cart at a store screaming bloody murder and the parent allowing it? That child is going to have much difficulty later in life. 
They need to learn the turn off switch.

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that birth defects are a symptom of man's fallen state.  I believe it possible that "natural" born homosexuals might actually be cursed with that unnatural affliction just as we are ALL born with the unnatural affliction of sin.  

• Thumbs Up 1