Looking For Signs? Dangerous?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I’ve been thinking today about looking for signs in our life to get answers for things. I’m starting to lean to this being a dangerous way to try to figure out Gods will. I’m not saying all signs are wrong, e.g if you have a vivid dream relating to something specific you or someone else is going through, then it should be respected and considered. Or if a prophecy comes your way, then it should be weighed up.

But, if you, let’s say have some kind of decision to make, and you start to look for signs or patterns in your life to give you an indicator as to what you choose, then you can be letting yourself be open to deception, because if you want to find signs for something, you’ll probably find something whether it’s true or not.

And so rather than looking for signs for a decision of some sort, we make the best decision we can with whatever resources we have (without forcing our eyes to see signs), and trust that God will bring things to blessed place.

Years ago I was looking for signs that my ex girl friend was the one for me, and I saw many signs that seemed even miraculous, but it turned out she wasn’t the one and we parted ways. I think because I wanted her to be the one, I was optimistic in looking for signs that implied she was the one, and, as a result I found many, but was deceived, and then left confused.

Perhaps signs can be found when looking back at something, after decisions have been made?

Wondering what people think?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Hi @Open7,

I agree that looking for or acting upon "signs" can be a dangerous thing.  It's closer to divination that walking the path of righteousness and one opens themselves up to being led away by their heart rather than the truth.

We must remember that desire drove Eve rather than deceit...

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it." - Genesis 3

So in some ways, the tree was a sign for Eve which, of course, backfired.

In my experience, I tend to notice Yahweh's interaction in my life AFTER the event.  I can then look back and realise with wonder how precious and fragile each decision and move was to lead to that perfect scenario.  Perhaps Yahweh works like this as if He gave us signs to respond to we would most likely mess up our reactions and choices in our response!  So perhaps He works behind the scenes in our lives for our own benefit.

Scripturally speaking, there are very few "signs" given by Yahweh ahead of choice.  An each instance can pretty much be argued as unique and exceptions - rather than a standard way of interaction.  What I do see as a standard way of operation in the Scriptures is the silent guidance of the heart, providing we are willing to listen to the truth of conviction...

"Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” Whenever you turn to the right hand, Or whenever you turn to the left." - Isaiah 30

How interest in contrasts with Eve's 'seeing', rather we should be 'listening'.  Not only listening to the Holy Spirit, but also to the Scriptures themselves.

Peace.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

I’ve been thinking today about looking for signs in our life to get answers for things. I’m starting to lean to this being a dangerous way to try to figure out Gods will. I’m not saying all signs are wrong, e.g if you have a vivid dream relating to something specific you or someone else is going through, then it should be respected and considered. Or if a prophecy comes your way, then it should be weighed up.

But, if you, let’s say have some kind of decision to make, and you start to look for signs or patterns in your life to give you an indicator as to what you choose, then you can be letting yourself be open to deception, because if you want to find signs for something, you’ll probably find something whether it’s true or not.

And so rather than looking for signs for a decision of some sort, we make the best decision we can with whatever resources we have (without forcing our eyes to see signs), and trust that God will bring things to blessed place.

Years ago I was looking for signs that my ex girl friend was the one for me, and I saw many signs that seemed even miraculous, but it turned out she wasn’t the one and we parted ways. I think because I wanted her to be the one, I was optimistic in looking for signs that implied she was the one, and, as a result I found many, but was deceived, and then left confused.

Perhaps signs can be found when looking back at something, after decisions have been made?

Wondering what people think?

Looking for signs = Jewish

The Bible has PLENTY of signs. God talks to us in various ways. But we are to ask God for confirmation while expecting it could come as signs or as Bible verses, other people sharing wisdom, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Hi @Open7,

I agree that looking for or acting upon "signs" can be a dangerous thing.  It's closer to divination that walking the path of righteousness and one opens themselves up to being led away by their heart rather than the truth.

We must remember that desire drove Eve rather than deceit...

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it." - Genesis 3

So in some ways, the tree was a sign for Eve which, of course, backfired.

In my experience, I tend to notice Yahweh's interaction in my life AFTER the event.  I can then look back and realise with wonder how precious and fragile each decision and move was to lead to that perfect scenario.  Perhaps Yahweh works like this as if He gave us signs to respond to we would most likely mess up our reactions and choices in our response!  So perhaps He works behind the scenes in our lives for our own benefit.

Scripturally speaking, there are very few "signs" given by Yahweh ahead of choice.  An each instance can pretty much be argued as unique and exceptions - rather than a standard way of interaction.  What I do see as a standard way of operation in the Scriptures is the silent guidance of the heart, providing we are willing to listen to the truth of conviction...

"Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” Whenever you turn to the right hand, Or whenever you turn to the left." - Isaiah 30

How interest in contrasts with Eve's 'seeing', rather we should be 'listening'.  Not only listening to the Holy Spirit, but also to the Scriptures themselves.

Peace.

Super helpful thanks so much. Amazing insight on Eve in the garden

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I have found that in my past as a young person, when I desired a "sign" that something I wanted would be mine or come to pass....

.....EVERYTHING became a sign!  And that was because I had already determined in my heart that what I wanted was what I wanted.  And that I deserved it.

So, I MADE things a "sign".

So glad I departed a long time ago from that idiocy.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

As I rely 100% upon God's Written Word for communication and direction from God... I look nowhere else!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,400
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

3 hours ago, Jayne said:

I have found that in my past as a young person, when I desired a "sign" that something I wanted would be mine or come to pass....

.....EVERYTHING became a sign!  And that was because I had already determined in my heart that what I wanted was what I wanted.  And that I deserved it.

@Jayne The promises of Scripture are far more assuring than looking for signs..... :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,956
  • Content Per Day:  5.48
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  01/25/1961

I stick to my Bible.  I don't look for signs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2022 at 3:31 PM, Jayne said:

You worded this perfectly😊

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,431
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

I've heard this a few times and think it's true . . . God speaks to us in 4 ways:

1. His written word
  2. Fellowship of other believers
  3. The inner Anointing
  4. External signs

Notice the last here is signs.  His speaking will always align with His word.  And because we are members of His body, we should seek the fellowship of other saints in such matters.  And the Anointing that each regenerated one has will also be an amen/witness in our spirit through prayer.  If these three are all saying one thing, but an external sign is telling you another thing, disregard the sign.

If still not sure, it's always a safe bet to wait on the Lord to make it clear in His time.

Edited by Vine Abider
Clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1