• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

1 minute ago, FreeGrace said:

I view the '7 days' as a restoration of an earth that became an uninhabitable wasteland.  There is ample evidence from how "tohu wabohu" are used elsewhere to come to that conclusion.  God simply restored earth for man's use.  So that shows a time gap, but how long is anyone's guess.  

This is what I see too.

2 minutes ago, FreeGrace said:

I view the POW or as some call it, the BIG BANG theory, when God spoke the universe into existence.  Psa 33:6,9  This would correspond to Gen 1:1

Could have been. Cosmologists seem to agree. I see a later strategic placement of the earth's position to give it day and night.

6 minutes ago, FreeGrace said:

Well, what we do have is v.2 which is better translated as "but the earth became an uninhabital wasteland".  This shows that something happened to earth and changed it between v.1 and v.2.  And God left out all details.

Yes, and this is why I can't say we have a "young universe", especially given what cosmologists have found. For some odd reason many believe there is this narrative which many people buy into as a package that says if you don't agree with theistic evolution you should think the universe as very young. 

13 minutes ago, FreeGrace said:
katartizó: to complete, prepare

Original Word: καταρτίζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: katartizó
Phonetic Spelling: (kat-ar-tid'-zo)
Definition: to complete, prepare
Usage: (a) I fit (join) together; met: I compact together, (b) act. and mid: I prepare, perfect, for his (its) full destination or use, bring into its proper condition (whether for the first time, or after a lapse).

HELPS Word-studies

2675 katartízō (from 2596 /katá, "according to, down," intensifying artizō, "to adjust," which is derived from 739 /ártios, "properly adjusted") – properly, exactly fit (adjust) to be in good working order, i.e. adjusted exactly "down" to fully function.

If the earth became an uninhabitable wasteland, then God would have HAD TO prepare it for mankind.  Or "bring into its proper condition (original condition), and note the parenthesis:  whether for the first time or after a lapse!!

Also notice the HELPS:  "properly adjusted" can easily refer to a restoration.

And, 'katartizo' is actually translated as "restored" in several verses:  Gal 6:1 and 1 Pet 5:10.

If I were only reading that one text to make a point, I would personally have to marry it to other texts to make that point. You did provide a few other references. I was mainly focusing on the earth as it related to the rest of the universe, but we could branch that out if it fits. I like branching out and not "stretching".

20 minutes ago, FreeGrace said:

what I read is that God began the universe with the word of His mouth (Psa 33:6,9) and after the earth became an uninhabitable wasteland, He restored it for man's use.

I thoroughly reject the idea of evolution.  I am fully a creationist and a restorationist.

I also reject the idea of evolution as it pertains to one type of animal becoming another type of animal, not to be confused as varied species within a type ( they also call this evolution). 

There are multiple universes. Vast does not begin to describe what's out there. No sure of the particulars, but according to what I read, the earth was as you say, "an uninhabitable wasteland". Not a very nice place to hang out.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,594
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 6/27/2023 at 8:33 AM, The Barbarian said:

You're confusing the OT with the entire Bible.  The Bible incorporates some (but not all) writings from Hebrew times.

Shalom, The Barbarian.

Oh, really? Didn't you know that the NT is also writings from the Hebrew times? All of the writers, with the exception of perhaps Lukas, were Jews! If you think that the NT was for the Gentiles, you've got another "think" coming!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,051
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Oh, really?

Yes.   The Jewish writers of the OT were not the same as the Hebrews of the time of the patriarchs.   Descended from them but they took a different look at the nature of God and His people.