Kat70s

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I grew up very isolated and fundamentalist. I struggle with what's legalism vs just following the Bible. I know that we don't have to follow the law, and Christ died for us freeing us from the law.

I tend to drift towards legalist churches (comfort in the known). I have been put off of a few churches because of a woman preacher..I was raised about women are silent in the churches.

Just wondering what y'all think, thanks!

Katrina 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,253
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Do as the spirit directs.

Trusting in our Lord and not our own understanding is the way, letting God know your heart, then trusting Him to direct your path.

Be faithful to God. A church has to have rules. I personally, a man, can not put myself under a woman preacher. Something in my spirit says taboo, and what I know about scripture also says no. My wife is very gifted and teaches bible study's, as does my daughter who knows more scripture than I do. But we talk or discuss the word, not putting myself under their authority. God's ways are definitely NOT politically correct.

I believe I understand why God would have us to walk by faith. Without having a long list of rules/law. If we remember;

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

This is the great and first commandment.

And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself"

Without a 'legalistic' list of rules, God has given us a really cool challenge, (forces us to) use your own mind/spirit to figure out/discern  how to really love God (If you love me, keep my commandments) he says. But, now he wants us to think, not just obey the rules but understand how loving him, loving others, comes from within, in our heart, how to really think what would please God, what would really please my fellow human being, lost or saved. This needs no rule, when we submit to the spirit within.

The tiniest obedience to the spirit within, is God's will...

May God bless you Katrina, with wisdom and discernment!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, Kat70s said:

I grew up very isolated and fundamentalist. I struggle with what's legalism vs just following the Bible. I know that we don't have to follow the law, and Christ died for us freeing us from the law.

I tend to drift towards legalist churches (comfort in the known). I have been put off of a few churches because of a woman preacher..I was raised about women are silent in the churches.

Katrina 

Paul teaches the church in Corinth how to behave as a church.  There were in  HOT MESS.  Churches today doing that they do would have imploded from within.  Read the whole book of 1 Corinthians.

In chapter 14, Paul tells three groups of people in the church to "keep silent": [Verses 26-40]

• Those who were speaking in tongues in church services with no interpreter.  And Paul said, only 2 or 3 could speak in tongues period.  No interpreter, Paul said - "keep silent."
  • Those who were prophesying out of turn.  Paul said for just 2 or 3 to prophesy and if one was prophesying and another received revelation from God, the first should "keep silent".
  • Wives who were asking questions out loud to their husbands.  The church included women.  Women had never been to learn before so I'm sure they had lots of questions.  Paul told them to ask their husbands at home. "keep silent"

Paul had already taught that women could pray in church - just with a head covering.  The New Testament speaks of women prophets.

So opening your mouth at church is not a sin for women.

I believe that a pastor of a church should be a man.  But not because women are too stupid to do it.  I KNOW women who are OUTSTANDING Bible teachers and do so in community Bible studies and many other places.  Frankly, I know several women who can out teach most men I know.  And that's not a slur to men.

While a pastor should be a man - I don't like to see people and churches teach that women are just too pathetic and unlearned to be of any benefit.  And those things are taught.  I've heard it.

Women can sing the in choir, make announcements, give testimonies, pray, and more in church.  I gave a report on Lottie Moon and the international missions offering this morning.  From the pulpit.  And my pastor is the most conservative man I know by a long shot.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

7 hours ago, Kat70s said:

Katrina 

If you are anything like me, you feel a discomfort deep in your spirit. I can't live with that long term.

I can either spend my time trying to explain it away or justify it which is a loosing battle, or simply take measures to go to a church I am comfortable with or at least willing to get past the smaller issues. A small issue is a larger issue to others. I believe we each need to do what we are led to do of our own conciences no matter what anyone else thinks or says.

I could not regularly attend any church with a woman pastor, but I have also seen many messed up churches of those who have a male pastor, so maybe a church seems to check all the right boxes, but hearts aren't right. To me this is just as bad or worse.

There's a similar church right down the road from the to the one we attend. The denominational heads of that church have decided homosexual clergy are ok. I have seen these kinds of things literally kill local churches. Instead of having the gumption to pull away from those apostate denominations, they stay in with them and suffer often both monetarily and spiritually. Something has clearly broken down at the leadership level. What else could swe trust them with? I refuse to be the guinea pig for some social experement graduating human oddities from their denominational seminaries.

No perfect churches. There are churches who are striving to do what's right though. Then there are those who have drifted so far away they no longer resemble churches.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Thank y'all for the replies and sorry for my late reply. Lots of great points and views!

I find it great I can ask questions and not be shamed for my lack of knowledge or experience, thanks again!

Katrina

• Praise God! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

On 12/12/2022 at 2:56 AM, Kat70s said:

Katrina 

Legalism is taking the principles of the Law and then devising a multitude of rules and by-laws to enforce the outward performing of the Law given to Moses. Jesus challenged the scribes and the Pharisees over their hardness of heart and in placing burdens upon people. They had forgotten that the Law was about love, mercy and justice.

Matthew 12:1  At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 
2  But when the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.”

Matthew 15:1  Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 
2  “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat.” 
3  He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 
4  For God commanded, ‘Honour your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 
5  But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,” 
6  he need not honour his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God. 
7  You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: 
8  “‘This people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 
9  in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

Matthew 16:5  When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to bring any bread. 
6  Jesus said to them, “Watch and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
16:11  How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak about bread? Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 
12  Then they understood that he did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Legalism is taking the principles and intent of the Law and the gospel and making it a regimented disciplined set of rules [often instituted by the ruling elite] that claim to be how the word of God MUST be implemented and followed for salvation.

You must tithe and give to your church and if you do not you are a not a good Christian and in danger of perdition. The NT does not command tithing, certainly not compulsory tithing or giving. The NT teaches that disciples should give as they are able to.

Some make reading the KJV a salvation issue.

There are rules and commandments written in the NT for us to follow - such as not to continue in wilful sinning. The epistles are written to believers to provide admonishment and correction in doctrine so that disciples may succeed in their walk and faith.

The apostles teach us that we are under liberty - we choose to do what is right not because of the penalties imposed by breaking the Law, but because we love God and we love his righteousness.

And here is wisdom that we learn what is acceptable and pleasing to God - denying our natural sinful selves and doing good - that is living for God.

Katrina read the epistles from Romans to Jude and you will learn how to be a child of God and loved by Him.

Psalm 40:8  I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”

Edited by Waggles
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

Romans 12:9  Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 
10  Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honour. 
11  Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 
12  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 
13  Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. 
14  Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 
15  Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 
16  Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 
17  Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honourable in the sight of all. 
18  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 
19  Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 
20  To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 
21  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,420
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 12/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, Kat70s said:

legalist churches (comfort in the known).

@Kat70s There's a very interesting definition!

There is indeed no substitute for prayer and the Scriptures daily, and seeking to pursue with others Acts 2.42 activities, by God's grace.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Legalism leads with law rather than with Gospel.

Colossians 2:20-23

John 1:17

Galatians 3:24

Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,420
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

Legalism leads with law rather than with Gospel.

Colossians 2:20-23

John 1:17

Galatians 3:24

Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

@missmuffet Galatians is indeed a great antidote to legalism...

• Well Said! 2