• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  431
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/31/1950

15 minutes ago, Alive said:

. That occurred when thousands of new converts during and shortly after Pentecost during and after the Joel…”this is that” was fullfilled…..went back home following their sojourn to Jerusalem. Such souls included both Jews and gentile seekers. Christ established the Church in Rome.

thats a nice overview,not sure i had noticed that before.thank you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

3 minutes ago, grahampaul said:

thats a nice overview,not sure i had noticed that before.thank you.

Much can be gleaned when studying the book of Acts…pay attention to Luke’s opening. “ that which Jesus began to do and teach. Christ used tools, but His is always the Work.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,977
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  01/25/1961

Much of the Catholic doctrine concerning Peter comes from misunderstanding this verse:

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. - Matthew 16:18

The rock mentioned is found in Peter's statement.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 16:15-17

The rock upon which the Church is built is Jesus, not Peter.  Peter did not found Christianity.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

2 hours ago, Not of the World said:

What are your thoughts?

Rev tells us there were seven churches in seven cities. Rev 2:1 talks about 7 stars and 7 lampstands. They were to take the gospil to the end of the world. I still think there are seven churches today. Although some seem to be a combination of two of the origional churches. In Acts 1:4 & 2:1 the early church was in one mind and one accord. Paul said (1 cor 11:19) there would be divisions to show who was and who was not approved by God. The Church of England is the Anglo Church. It became the Episcopal Church in Ameria and also the Methoidist church with John Wesley. They all claim apostolic secussion. There is still a book of common prayer they all use today. I was an Episcopal and my wife a Methoidist. There is not that much difference. We have no problem to attend each others church. Hers is just a bit more relaxed and not as formal. Yet they still use the book of common prayer. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  1

38 minutes ago, other one said:

i have been informed for years that we are not allowed to put down the Catholic Church.

How did the question in my OP "put down" the Catholic Church?  Maybe you should remove that plank from your eye before you tell me that I'm being "offensive".  I don't mean to sound unkind, but you were way off base.  

56 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Not of the World obviously does not believe the Apostle Peter was the founder of the Church / First Pope as Roman Catholic tradition states.

The churches that have apostolic secusion believe that Peter was the first. When I joined the church the bishop layed hands on me. That goes all the way back to Peter. It may seem silly to you or not important, but I think it is kinda of neat. 

Also we believe you do not have to be Romab Catholic to be a part of the Catholic Church. That is why Catholics that leave their Church often end up in an Episcopal church. Mine was a Charismatic Episcopal Church.  

1 minute ago, Mama Etna said:

Peter did not found Christianity.

I don't think that point is in dispute.  

It's my understanding that the RCC believes that Peter was specially designated by Jesus to lead his church and that Peter was the first Pope and that ALL of the apostles and the churches that they founded were also all Catholic.  

But that is NOT my belief.  

My belief is that the church that was founded in Rome was legitimate as were all of the congregations that were started by the apostles.  Thereafter, I believe that the church in Rome was fundamentally hijacked and that it turned into something else.  

I'm 56 and I was around 50 when I decided that I should be following the word of God in the Bible and NOT the Catholic Church.  Verses about "not being of the world" really opened my eyes because it was/is obvious to me that the RCC is very much "of the world".  And, as I delved deeper, I discovered many things about the RCC that cemented my view that the RCC is NOT, in fact, teaching the actual word of God.  

11 minutes ago, Mama Etna said:

Much of the Catholic doctrine concerning Peter comes from misunderstanding this verse:

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. - Matthew 16:18

Ephesians 2:20 tells us that the church is built on the foundation of the 12 apostles with Jesus as the chief cornerstone. So the foundation was not just based on the teachings of Peter but all of the disciples. 

Today most everyone of every religion follows the teachings of Jesus. But they do not have much consideration for his disciples and their teaching. 

13 minutes ago, Mama Etna said:

The rock mentioned is found in Peter's statement.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 16:15-17

The rock upon which the Church is built is Jesus, not Peter.  Peter did not found Christianity.

In reading Matthew 16:18 from your post and the verses below, it sounds like Jesus was referring to Peter as being a part of the rock and NOT the rock itself.  But maybe I am misunderstanding.  :noidea:

1Peter 2:4  As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 
5  you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 
6  For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,794
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  130
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

@Not of the World  In a nutshell, the context of where it's taking place is Caesarea Phillipi ... these are some devotions that I wrote concerning the location ...

https://www.worthydevotions.com/christian-devotional/the-gates-of-hades-shall-not-prevail

https://www.worthydevotions.com/christian-devotional/let-the-light-shine-in-the-darkness

The real message is has nothing to do with "who is the Rock?" but rather ... that the Gates of Hell shall not prevail!  The Rock was long established as Yeshua as he is the Chief cornerstone ...

Eph 2:19  So then you are no longer foreigners and noncitizens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of God’s household, 

Eph 2:20  because you have been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. 

Eph 2:21  In him the whole building, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 

Eph 2:22  in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. 

Be blessed,

George

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2