• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,840
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

I don't have any tattoos, and I don't really know what people see in them.. scratchinghead.gif.102efc81168dbd09daba61fcc0588ff1.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

32 minutes ago, farouk said:

@ayin jade FYI..........any wisdom?

I havent been following this topic. Medically I dont care for tattoos because it can interfer in mri imaging. Biblically, the injunction against tattoos mentions it as a memorial to the dead, so if someone has a tattoo of a flower, I dont see that as an issue. The topic itself is unimportant to me and I dont judge anyone for thair tattoos with the exception of anyone saved or not who has tattoos with witchy designs. That just creeps me out. 

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

I havent been following this topic. Medically I dont care for tattoos because it can interfer in mri imaging. Biblically, the injunction against tattoos mentions it as a memorial to the dead, so if someone has a tattoo of a flower, I dont see that as an issue. The topic itself is unimportant to me and I dont judge anyone for thair tattoos with the exception of anyone saved or not who has tattoos with witchy designs. That just creeps me out. 

@ayin jade Thanks for comment...

Seems like today it's become like a coming of age thing, with young men and women booking their first tattoo parlor session for their 18th b-day. A lot of young Christians seem to like the idea of a Bible verse / ref. tattoo that will likely become an effective conversation-starter.

(Kind of, like, nailing one's colors to the mast immediately at 18.......)

@Starise FYI......you've posted on tattoos in the past; so any wisdom here?

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

7 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi @walla299 FYI.........so any considered wisdom?

Never saw any need for a tattoo and never really wanted one. Seems that among some younger folks its in fashion - yet so is getting them removed and both processes are painful and expensive. If someone wants to get one that's on them its not a concern for me.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

8 hours ago, farouk said:

@Willa Do you think that they are done, yet, receiving inking?

(Because it seems that from a certain age onwards, among those of the younger generation, it is to them something supposedly important to receive.)

Among older Christians at least three possible - conflicting - strategies seem anyway to have emerged: 1) fight it; 2) ignore it; 3) embrace it.

In Scotland (I don't about elsewhere), when a young woman gets a tattoo, it is often called a "tramp stamp" ("tramp" being slang for a loose woman).  Men are treated differently, but it's often regarded as the sign of a rebel or otherwise dubious character.

For the above reasons alone, I would say that it's probably unwise to get a tattoo, at least in Scotland.  There are others reasons as well.

29 minutes ago, David1701 said:

In Scotland (I don't about elsewhere), when a young woman gets a tattoo, it is often called a "tramp stamp" ("tramp" being slang for a loose woman).  Men are treated differently, but it's often regarded as the sign of a rebel or otherwise dubious character.

For the above reasons alone, I would say that it's probably unwise to get a tattoo, at least in Scotland.  There are others reasons as well.

@David1701 Well....in North America, in the Bible Belt, it's widely regarded as a sought after development:

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

4 hours ago, walla299 said:

Seems that among some younger folks its in fashion - yet so is getting them removed and both processes are painful and expensive. If someone wants to get one that's on them its not a concern for me.

@walla299 Well, for so many young men and women it seems to have become a coming of age thing; getting booked in at the tattoo parlor for one's 18th b-day; and for many young Christians Bible verses/ref.s are sought after designs that are reckoned to be investments in conversation-starting witness tools that would likely be very effective.

(Kind of, nailing one's colors to the mast immediately as young adults. All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked seem to have had them rammed in as witness tools.)

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

3 minutes ago, farouk said:

@walla299 Well, for so many young men and women it seems to have become a coming of age thing; getting booked in at the tattoo parlor for one's 18th b-day; and for many young Christians Bible verses/ref.s are sought after designs that are reckoned to be investments in conversation-starting witness tools that would likely be very effective.

(Kind of, nailing one's colors to the mast immediately as young adults. All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked seem to have had them rammed in as witness tools.)

As I said, it's really not a concern for me. I've learned at age 61 that the younger folks are going to follow the heard and one of the current "things" is tattoos. It's similar with beards and skinny leg jeans. That's their choice, but its not mine. I've never had a tatt, and I doubt I ever will unless the Lord has a reason for me to.

My only concern would be for believers - we are to glorify the Lord in all we do, so getting a worldly tatt is probably not a great idea. Our (now) retired pastor was once a biker before he got saved and has some "leftover" tatts from the earlier life that have opened doors for witnessing in the past. Jesus can take just about anything in our lives  and use it for the kingdom - we just have to let Him.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, walla299 said:

As I said, it's really not a concern for me. I've learned at age 61 that the younger folks are going to follow the heard and one of the current "things" is tattoos. It's similar with beards and skinny leg jeans. That's their choice, but its not mine. I've never had a tatt, and I doubt I ever will unless the Lord has a reason for me to.

My only concern would be for believers - we are to glorify the Lord in all we do, so getting a worldly tatt is probably not a great idea. Our (now) retired pastor was once a biker before he got saved and has some "leftover" tatts from the earlier life that have opened doors for witnessing in the past. Jesus can take just about anything in our lives  and use it for the kingdom - we just have to let Him.

@walla299 Interesting points you mention there.

For some ppl the motivation seems overwhelming.

For example, a Christian woman with a tattoo of the name of a non-Christian ex-bf might be strongly driven to have it modified, e.g., from BILL to BIBLE, etc., and thus not be condemned to have a constant reminded of her pre-conversion days, but instead have something much more in keeping with her convictions. (One can thus imagine her as a Christian going joyfully into the tattoo parlor for such an ink up.)