• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

There are experiences that could be related, that simply are not appropriate for all ears.

• Thumbs Up 1

Similar to the specific men or women sub forums.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

Just now, Alive said:

There are experiences that could be related, that simply are not appropriate for all ears.

Makes sense. Most here would refrain from that because I know they are wise in that regard, but there is usually that one slip up. And TBH almost any child 12 years old can watch movies on TV that probably far surpass fears and concerns here....still we have a standard we must follow.

Most would acknowledge the very real nature of war and there are those of all ages who experience it.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I am not a veteran but my father served and speaks openly about his war experiences. I am interested in such a forum if you get one from george. 

I have had the privilege of meeting several of the navajo codetalkers. There are not many left any more. One of them taught me a valuable lesson. At the time I lived on the reservation. I was counseling a codetalker, who wore like they all did, a standard uniform of yellow/gold shirt, red hat, lots of turquoise, when he asked me if I knew what day it was. I said june 14th. He said its flag day and proceeded to tell me what that meant to him. 

The navajo people did not fully get the right to vote until 1948, yet they volunteered to serve in the military, and put together the only unbreakable code the military ever had. Their (codetalkers) lives were on the line not just from the enemy but from their fellow soldiers. They were not permitted to be captured so the enemy would never learn the code. They were not permitted to discuss their experiences either until the code was declassified in 1968. 

Done ranting. Anyway Im interested too dennis.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Starise said:

Makes sense. Most here would refrain from that because I know they are wise in that regard, but there is usually that one slip up. And TBH almost any child 12 years old can watch movies on TV that probably far surpass fears and concerns here....still we have a standard we must follow.

Most would acknowledge the very real nature of war and there are those of all ages who experience it.

I just see some things differently than others, apparently.

The world is filled with all manner of things. Its my opinion, that Worthy ought to be a place of refuge, where more spiritually edifying content is the bulk. I believe there is scriptural support for this. I also am convinced, the Lord would send more folks here, were that the case.

Think about it. Does the Lord order and direct His dear ones? Or does He allow just anything to come their way?

If you believe the first…that He is actively involved, then what?

The internet is filled with all kinds…most christian forums allow all manner of garbage and it is a free for all. I do not believe the Lord’s annointing will reside there.

1 minute ago, Alive said:

I just see some things differently than others, apparently.

The world is filled with all manner of things. Its my opinion, that Worthy ought to be a place of refuge, where more spiritually edifying content is the bulk. I believe there is scriptural support for this. I also am convinced, the Lord would send more folks here, were that the case.

Think about it. Does the Lord order and direct His dear ones? Or does He allow just anything to come their way?

If you believe the first…that He is actively involved, then what?

The internet is filled with all kinds…most christian forums allow all manner of garbage and it is a free for all. I do not believe the Lord’s annointing will reside there.

I think you make some wonderful points.

There are different things people see as edifying. Many apostate TV pastors preach a message of love and acceptance at the exclusion of other topics that need to be heard.

I don't think we want to be seen as a place where people only get what we think they need to be fed if they are adults. Most want to make that decision for themselves. I have to wonder how many 10 years old we have coming here. I am not saying they don't come by.

This would not be my topic of choice to make this argument ( war and soldiers). I don't really see how a lot of it is directly relevant to the Christian walk unless we want to see the scriptures that talk about us believers being soldiers, and who maybe better to describe the experience than a real soldier?

The locked thread areas are not very popular areas. I went on the men's area and some of the most recent posts are like 2 years old there. I think putting a thread in that area is asking it to die a slow death IMHO.

I would rather trust the membership and use moderation. I respect that @Dennis1209 is respectfully making suggestions. I gave my opinion which is basically that a place for regular war stories and experiences probably doesn't fit for most here, but I understand we have a handful of military men. I don't want anyone who isn't or hasn't been in the military to in any way feel excluded either :)

Puff puff. I better stop for now.

Just for giggles…I am who God made me and that is the heart of a pastor.

So, let’s say, the congregation is assembled. Perhaps a regular service, perhaps at a picnic lunch gathering after the service. Would it be appropriate for the pastor and elders to allow just anything?

There are families there and all kinds of vulnerable folks with various sensibilities.

What did Paul say about where our focus ought to be?

Should we shoot for the moon and settle for chicago?

In a forum, it comes down to a matter of degree…and then what degree do we shoot for.

Let adults choose what they please? Yikes!

Look around.

19 minutes ago, Alive said:

Just for giggles…I am who God made me and that is the heart of a pastor.

So, let’s say, the congregation is assembled. Perhaps a regular service, perhaps at a picnic lunch gathering after the service. Would it be appropriate for the pastor and elders to allow just anything?

There are families there and all kinds of vulnerable folks with various sensibilities.

What did Paul say about where our focus ought to be?

Should we shoot for the moon and settle for chicago?

In a forum, it comes down to a matter of degree…and then what degree do we shoot for.

Let adults choose what they please? Yikes!

Look around.

Not saying there should not be limits. What I am saying is I trust most of the forum population who are belivers to use their own wisdom and discretion and use moderation for the rest.

I think we are far from an anything goes place. 

If we were not mainly belivers here, then I could see things getting reckless on a more regular basis.

We have a TOS in place. We have a hobbies section, and other sections of the forum that are just ways people share what they do, so why not a military forum if it fits and helps a few here? Not my call, but I don't think it's really a mainline subject matter here. Having it locked is another matter. I guess I just don't see the need for that, but if you feel differently no lost respect either way. If deep counseling is involved in that forum, you know, personal stuff, then I could see it being locked. It comes down to what such an area would be or how it would be used. A forum probably isn't the best counseling center IMHO.

If we start a military forum would we include veterans from all over the world? Things could get more complicated. What kinds of stories are acceptable, who agrees on that etc? I guess some sort of a guide could be established.

I have probably said more than enough already, as I have no real interst in it much either way, other than to say I highly respect those who served.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,306
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  99

1 hour ago, Starise said:

I understand you guys have your own group with probably isolated sets of experiences. As an outsider I feel I don't have much to contribute in that regard. My dad and grandfather were both in wars as was my wife's dad. Some will talk of their experiences while others choose not to talk about it rather preferring to get on with living and leave that very dark place behind.

I could see some of this in the "Everything Else" section, and since this is general discussion, I think you guys have experiences we could all use here.

I like inclusive things and not things that further divide us. Maybe a view from someone in South Africa or Canada, or any number of other places has relevance to all of us. In the past these kinds of discussions often go more towards America which must frustrate those who want a neutral discussion, so  I doubt everyone wants to hear war stories traded about US battles. OTOH, many of the ideas behind war and why people fight are valuable lessons and thoughts I think we can all stand to hear.

Organized units develop comradere as a glue that helps to hold any unit together. That these feelings would linger on is probably no surprise. Comradere and intention built upon a lie is a dangerous thing. The same things built on truth are glorious things. At the base of it, people need to be free to function properly. Totalitarianism never works. God uses the bad as He did with Babylon and Egypt in times past.

If I were in such a group as honored soldiers, I think I would treasure the effect my small contribution had on the direction of a country for years to come. In that you can all stand very proud, and maybe contemplate these new wars the new new developing world system. I think the last Hitler is coming faster than we think. This time the landscape looks very different. When leaders of free nations all sign on we are not headed in a good direction IMHO.

The last war will be very different and thankfully we won't need to destroy the enemy, the Lord will. Much of the devil's kingdom will destroy itself from the inside out.

My friend, let me share something from my own heart with you and everyone who reads this topic.

First, the U.S. Army served as a means of escape and in this way, it served admirably. I was born in an Army hospital... I was reared on military installations here and there... so all things military were the background of my life. Enlisting wasn't a stretch for me to do, brother. It was a known quantity; I knew what I was getting into. I ignored the pamphlets and jingo in the recruitment office: let's talk about the ASVAB and once you see my scores, an MOS. 

I had escaped the house of pain I was born into. This was the prelude to that which followed in the wake of my service in the military, when the Lord called me from this world and claimed me as His own. I would no longer serve man and his causes because I belong to Jesus Christ and no other. Not an organization... not a banner... nor a cause. Only the Lord.

So, what did the Lord esteem regarding my service in the U.S. Army? That I excelled at my specialty? No. My marksmanship? Of course not. Courage? Ah, I wouldn't understand the meaning of courage for a very long time, so that wasn't it either.

Faithful service. Dedication to that service. Carrying out that service honorably and following all lawful orders. I had no idea that my avenue of escape would prepare me for something far greater in this life, for those are the qualities which the Lord cultivated in me: the hallmark of a servant.

Not a hero nor a tough guy, but a servant. So, this is not as exclusive as some might imagine it to be. Husbands serve their wives and also their children; janitors serve everyone in the area of their care; and so forth. The tools of our service matter little in the sight of the Lord, brother. I was born to follow that path of military service for a little while. It prepared me for what I do in service to Him after my time in the U.S. Army was completed.

I confess that I was reluctant to participate in this topic. I don't care for attention of any kind and thus, I avoid mentioning my military service knowing that many in this country seem to idolize it in their way. I don't wear hats... lapel pins... patches, or the like. I don't need to be thanked for what the Lord intended for me to do before I was born. I rendered that service for it was my due. 

I'll never forget what a comrade said to me one day: "Never let anyone thank you for doing your job. Your job is what's expected of you... no more or less."

I agreed with him heartily. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Starise said:

Not saying there should not be limits. What I am saying is I trust most of the forum population who are belivers to use their own wisdom and discretion and use moderation for the rest.

I think we are far from an anything goes place. 

If we were not mainly belivers here, then I could see things getting reckless on a more regular basis.

We have a TOS in place. We have a hobbies section, and other sections of the forum that are just ways people share what they do, so why not a military forum if it fits and helps a few here? Not my call, but I don't think it's really a mainline subject matter here. Having it locked is another matter. I guess I just don't see the need for that, but if you feel differently no lost respect either way. If deep counseling is involved in that forum, you know, personal stuff, then I could see it being locked. It comes down to what such an area would be or how it would be used. A forum probably isn't the best counseling center IMHO.

If we start a military forum would we include veterans from all over the world? Things could get more complicated. What kinds of stories are acceptable, who agrees on that etc? I guess some sort of a guide could be established.

I have probably said more than enough already, as I have no real interst in it much either way, other than to say I highly respect those who served.

I most often speak in terms of principles. Its the way I view the world and scripture and I am careful with how I word things…most of the time. Most of the time, if assumptions are applied, then things are not received as intended. This is also true when there is a lot of self focus and sensitivities.

It is what it is…many folks are pre-primed and ready to be offended.

lol

Vets being counseled, was not where my head was…vets sharing with vets, is where I was coming from. That would best be done behind closed doors…so to speak. In my opinion. If you were to hear some stories I have heard, you might agree.

• Thumbs Up 1