ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Along with praise poetry, I sometimes write devotions. This is one I wrote a few years ago. 

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Colossians 4:6

Nowadays using salt is considered bad for our blood pressure, but in ancient times, salt was valued, traded. A seasoning of worth. Salt is a preservative, something to prevent food from spoiling in a time when refrigeration was not available. In ancient times, salt was a symbol of covenant. Treaties ratified with salt were unable to be broken. In Leviticus, we see that the Levites were to season each sacrifice with salt. Indeed, the term for it was salt of the covenant of God. A covenant not to be broken. For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt. Mark 9:49 Everyone of us believers is in covenant with God through the blood of Christ.

So then what does it mean to have your speech seasoned with salt? We are under a covenant of salt with the Lord. All of our actions and words should reflect Him. He is glorified by what we do. Sometimes we are the only “bible” someone sees. Our words need to be spoken with the love of Christ. Our words should be given to us by the Holy Spirit when we witness. Our words are to be tempered, seasoned if you will, by our Lord. When we answer each one regarding the Blessed Hope we have in Christ, it should be His words we speak, words given to us by the Holy Spirit, spoken gently in love. Seasoned with salt.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,869
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

Salted fire is a central part of life transmit nerve impulses, a value of bodies.

Edited by BeyondET

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,631
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"Be pleasant and hold their interest when you speak the message. Choose your words carefully and be ready to give answers to anyone who asks questions. "

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1967

I imagine believers as ‘salted’ throughout the world amongst those who do not know God or who reject Him completely. We are scattered intentionally among them so that we are in position to be used by God when needed. As such it is incumbent on us to be ready, and to be that preservative that the world needs us to be.

I pray I am the salt of the earth!

Edited by Mije
Correction
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, ayin jade said:

So then what does it mean to have your speech seasoned with salt?

Like Neighbor said, Instructions how to witness, in our walk and our speech.    Go therefore.....

Context;
"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving

At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word,
to declare
the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison—

that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.

Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt,
so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.   Colossians 4:

I understand it to be a lesson written, according to the text, by Paul the Apostle and Timothy, and addressed to the church in Colossae, to declare the mystery of Christ, the gospel, to the outsiders.

seasoned with salt,

Not only palatable, but spiced, seasoned with salt, desirable, and preserved/not changing, served in a wise and gracious manner.
It's the good news, food for life. Easy to present and answer with truth the bread of life to the hungry.

I usually go with the obvious intended meaning of a verse, in context.

I like salt and use too much, so this has always been my understanding, to enhance.

• Thumbs Up 1