• Topic Count:  2,266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,391
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

Monday 1-30-23 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shavat 7 5783 40th. Winter Day

James 2

1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?

8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,”[a] you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[b] also said, “You shall not murder.”[c] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Faith and Deeds

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[e] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Footnotes

1. James 2:8 Lev. 19:18
  2. James 2:11 Exodus 20:14; Deut. 5:18
  3. James 2:11 Exodus 20:13; Deut. 5:17
  4. James 2:20 Some early manuscripts dead
  5. James 2:23 Gen. 15:6

Faith Without Works Is Dead NIV Search

Love, Walter and Debbie

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,878
  • Content Per Day:  2.41

21 minutes ago, Walter and Deborah said:

Monday 1-30-23 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shavat 7 5783 40th. Winter Day

James 2

1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?

8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,”[a] you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[b] also said, “You shall not murder.”[c] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Faith and Deeds

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[e] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Footnotes

1. James 2:8 Lev. 19:18
  2. James 2:11 Exodus 20:14; Deut. 5:18
  3. James 2:11 Exodus 20:13; Deut. 5:17
  4. James 2:20 Some early manuscripts dead
  5. James 2:23 Gen. 15:6

Faith Without Works Is Dead NIV Search

Love, Walter and Debbie

Make it simple...

Faith in Jesus Christ and without any deeds or promises of deeds to him or anyone else is ETERNAL LIFE...anyone who believes is Saved without any deeds...ever...his bad deeds after he has believe will not cut him off and his good deeds will not keep him connected or maintain his Salvation or his Redemption...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Matt 20:1-16

Romans 1o:9

should be considered also

30 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Why is faith without works dead?

https://www.gotquestions.org/img/logo-youtube.svghttps://www.gotquestions.org/img/412-teens.svghttps://www.gotquestions.org/img/print.svghttps://www.gotquestions.org/img/volume.svg
ANSWER

James says, “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also” (James 2:26). Faith without works is a dead faith because the lack of works reveals an unchanged life or a spiritually dead heart. There are many verses that say that true saving faith will result in a transformed life, that faith is demonstrated by the works we do. How we live reveals what we believe and whether the faith we profess to have is a living faith.

James 2:14–26 is sometimes taken out of context in an attempt to create a works-based system of righteousness, but that is contrary to many other passages of Scripture. James is not saying that our works make us righteous before God but that real saving faith is demonstrated by good works. Works are not the cause of salvation; works are the evidence of salvation. Faith in Christ always results in good works. The person who claims to be a Christian but lives in willful disobedience to Christ has a false or dead faith and is not saved. Paul basically says the same thing in 1 Corinthians 6:9–10. James contrasts two different types of faith—true faith that saves and false faith that is dead.

Many profess to be Christians, but their lives and priorities indicate otherwise. Jesus put it this way: “By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. So by their fruits you will know them. Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?’ Then I will declare to them solemnly, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers’” (Matthew 7:16–23).

Notice that the message of Jesus is the same as the message of James. Obedience to God is the mark of true saving faith. James uses the examples of Abraham and Rahab to illustrate the obedience that accompanies salvation. Simply saying we believe in Jesus does not save us, nor does religious service. What saves us is the Holy Spirit’s regeneration of our hearts, and that regeneration will invariably be seen in a life of faith featuring ongoing obedience to God.

Misunderstanding the relationship of faith and works comes from not understanding what the Bible teaches about salvation. There are really two errors in regards to works and faith. The first error is “easy believism,” the teaching that, as long as a person prayed a prayer or said, “I believe in Jesus,” at some point in his life, then he is saved, no matter what. So a person who, as a child, raised his hand in a church service is considered saved, even though he has never shown any desire to walk with God since and is, in fact, living in blatant sin. This teaching, sometimes called “decisional regeneration,” is dangerous and deceptive. The idea that a profession of faith saves a person, even if he lives like the devil afterwards, assumes a new category of believer called the “carnal Christian.” This allows various ungodly lifestyles to be excused: a man may be an unrepentant adulterer, liar, or bank robber, but he’s saved; he’s just “carnal.” Yet, as we can see in James 2, an empty profession of faith—one that does not result in a life of obedience to Christ—is in reality a dead faith that cannot save.

The other error in regards to works and faith is to attempt to make works part of what justifies us before God. The mixture of works and faith to earn salvation is totally contrary to what Scripture teaches. Romans 4:5 says, “To him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness.” James 2:26 says, “Faith without works is dead.” There is no conflict between these two passages. We are justified by grace through faith, and the natural result of faith in the heart is works that all can see. The works that follow salvation do not make us righteous before God; they simply flow from the regenerated heart as naturally as water flows from a spring.

Salvation is a sovereign act of God whereby an unregenerate sinner has the “washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit” poured out on him (Titus 3:5), thereby causing him to be born again (John 3:3). When this happens, God gives the forgiven sinner a new heart and puts a new spirit within him (Ezekiel 36:26). God removes his sin-hardened heart of stone and fills him with the Holy Spirit. The Spirit then causes the saved person to walk in obedience to God’s Word (Ezekiel 36:26–27).

Faith without works is dead because it reveals a heart that has not been transformed by God. When we have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit, our lives will demonstrate that new life. Our works will be characterized by obedience to God. Unseen faith will become seen by the production of the fruit of the Spirit in our lives (Galatians 5:22). Christians belong to Christ, the Good Shepherd. As His sheep we hear His voice and follow Him (John 10:26–30).

Faith without works is dead because faith results in a new creation, not a repetition of the same old patterns of sinful behavior. As Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”

Faith without works is dead because it comes from a heart that has not been regenerated by God. Empty professions of faith have no power to change lives. Those who pay lip service to faith but who do not possess the Spirit will hear Christ Himself say to them, “I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers” (Matthew 7:23).

@Rosie1jack2pauline3

What do you say? That when someone believes in Jesus Christ or the moment he believes in Jesus Christ he is not saved and that he is still condemned?  What does the scriptures say...not what the people say..

James said faith without any works .....it saves anyone who believes. 

Do you not accept that? Then why you post scriptures from the Gospel of John? 

Or even from John 3.

James agrees with Paul and Peter and  john...that we are saved by grace before any works...

FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST CANNOT BE AFFIRMED OR JUDGE BY THE WORKS OF MAN...

9 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without [a]your works, and I will show you my faith by [b]my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is [c]dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made [d]perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was [e]accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

James did not say that because he never believed that...hope you understand that...

He never said that to believe in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins IS DEATH OR IT IS A DEAD FAITH...

THE DEAD FAITH IS FOUND IN THE PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN GOD BUT THEY DO NOT BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST...AS THE REDEEMER...As THE ETERNAL LIFE GIVER. 

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,234
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Faith which is calling those things that be not as though they were. God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Faith is the substance or assurance of things we hope for, but have not yet received.

So now look at works :)  Abraham offered Isaac his son why? God made Abraham a promise to which Abraham never once questioned it but believed. So when told to offer his son he never blinked a eye never doubted Gods promise or what God just told him to do. We love to think we are walking by faith but were not for we are so many times unsure doubt always comes in and it never come to be and well that was Gods will is our answer which if God gave us a promise already spoke it then sorry its us who fail. So we don't grow in faith and our faith is still as a baby. Where we still desire mike we can't handle meat we tend to make fun it. 

Again like I always say on every forum you just don't read about "faith".  Always leads to some group which are of God but lack something others have yet they know faith and have the works the fruit of you will. Hmm Christ is all yet we are the body so would it not conclude we need what the other has to become one body?

"“Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." AMEN here it is... so simple. Some call that actions works so its wrong.. praise God

49 minutes ago, TheBlade said:

Faith which is calling those things that be not as though they were. God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Faith is the substance or assurance of things we hope for, but have not yet received.

So now look at works :)  Abraham offered Isaac his son why? God made Abraham a promise to which Abraham never once questioned it but believed. So when told to offer his son he never blinked a eye never doubted Gods promise or what God just told him to do. We love to think we are walking by faith but were not for we are so many times unsure doubt always comes in and it never come to be and well that was Gods will is our answer which if God gave us a promise already spoke it then sorry its us who fail. So we don't grow in faith and our faith is still as a baby. Where we still desire mike we can't handle meat we tend to make fun it. 

Again like I always say on every forum you just don't read about "faith".  Always leads to some group which are of God but lack something others have yet they know faith and have the works the fruit of you will. Hmm Christ is all yet we are the body so would it not conclude we need what the other has to become one body?

"“Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." AMEN here it is... so simple. Some call that actions works so its wrong.. praise God

James is not saying faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins is dead. 

Don't you agree?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.91
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

14 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

James is not saying faith in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins is dead. 

Don't you agree?

James is saying that faith, as an expression of who you have placed your trust in 

requires more than lip service. It requires actions befitting repentance.

Acts 26:

19 “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 

20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem

and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles,

that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

4 hours ago, coheir said:

Romans 1o:9

should be considered also

Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and

believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Confessing with the mouth alone is known to be insufficient, for the Lord has

already said, they worship with their mouth, but their heart is far from me.

Hence,

2 Peter 2:10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure,

for if you do these things you will never stumble.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.

Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

3 hours ago, Mr. M said:

James is saying that faith, as an expression of who you have placed your trust in 

requires more than lip service. It requires actions befitting repentance.

Acts 26:

19 “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 

20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem

and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles,

that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and

believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Confessing with the mouth alone is known to be insufficient, for the Lord has

already said, they worship with their mouth, but their heart is far from me.

Hence,

2 Peter 2:10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure,

for if you do these things you will never stumble.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.

Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

It just seems to me in James he is not talking to the poorest people.

Mark 12:

41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living. All meant in my post is that some have less to give than others . and in some cases James makes it sound as if it is not enough. Some time all some one may have are clothes or a few dollars to give to a homeless shelter. Anything one has to give counts in Gods eyes.

1 Peter 4

8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.91
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

10 minutes ago, coheir said:

It just seems to me in James he is not talking to the poorest people.

A fine point. If we are expected to show charity to the poor,what are they instructed 

to do, be poor? I have two threads that show throughout the prophets the special

place the poor have in the heart of the Father. His word promises them justice, not

conditionally. Instructions for the Election are different. They are servants of the Gospel.

• Thumbs Up 1