• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  977
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  13,940
  • Content Per Day:  5.08
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Posted for the car guys and gals.

I think it ( Th evideo) does a good job of pointing out real world considerations.

Note the surprising high cost of electricity to  get a 75% charge up. $27.50 for about 80 miles of use maximum..  The last 25% of charging takes way longer than the first 75%. It took 48 minutes for the first seventy five percent charge. Hmm didn't know that.

It really works out to cost more for the electricity used  to go the same number of miles as gasoline will take the competing truck!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  451
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

As a technician myself, this is one thing we were talking about at work.  I don't trust the battery meters.  Whether one is talking about your smartphone, electronic equipment at home or all the way up to a car or truck like this, they do not have a technological handle on how to gauge or predict the true level nor predict how long it will last.  With gasoline, the range is proportional to your volume of gasoline.  So if my total range is 350 miles, then if I know that half a tank will get me 175 miles.  The only error is the gas gauge but it's far more accurate than a battery indicator.  

We are not there yet, but these New World Order types I don't think really care (i.e. gas cars and trucks for me, none for thee) and it indirectly limits population movement (reminds me of a lock-down lol).  And the Greta's of this world that are used like puppets for such causes do not really understand all the physics behind it all.  And when all is said and done, when there's all electric cars, we better have all "renewables" for power otherwise the gasoline saved in an electric car will just be extra gas, oil or coal burned up at the power station.  So that pollution will be extra exhaust at the power station that was not there before in other words.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,390
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

There is a really big push for solar pannels on our houses here in central and western Oklahoma.   I get at least two calls a day on my phone.   I really don't trust the business model they are suggesting for installing them.   Whether I'm paying the electric company for the electricity or the solar panel company basically the same amount for at least 20 and some even 30 years really doesn't save me anything....   especially since I'm75 years old.

I would like to have a Tesla model S though....    0 to 60 in about two seconds is a real treat....   but then again how long could I keep my drivers liscense...    Main things is where to find $100,000

The Chinese have a small electric car that costs less than $5,000.   That would be interesting to have just around town.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,302
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:02 PM, other one said:

There is a really big push for solar pannels on our houses here in central and western Oklahoma.   I get at least two calls a day on my phone.   I really don't trust the business model they are suggesting for installing them.   Whether I'm paying the electric company for the electricity or the solar panel company basically the same amount for at least 20 and some even 30 years really doesn't save me anything....   especially since I'm75 years old.

I would like to have a Tesla model S though....    0 to 60 in about two seconds is a real treat....   but then again how long could I keep my drivers liscense...    Main things is where to find $100,000

The Chinese have a small electric car that costs less than $5,000.   That would be interesting to have just around town.

According to one of my cousins, graduate of Rice University with a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering, when he was designing his new home he wanted to incorporate a large solar array of panels for the home and ran an extensive cost benefit analysis before commiting. He determined that even with the government cash assist subsidies back then, the solar panels would have to last twice as long than warranted,  with not considering the switch gear and battery replacement expense. Even if the panels did last, it would take 30-40 yrs just to recoup investment, before any benefits.

Another friend, a doctor at our church, purchased land to build his family home in the country large enough to have several acres of crops, specifically olive trees. He also had a huge stand alone solar array installed with very large panels occupying maybe a quarter acre. A bunch. This was to assist back up for house and primarily for the massive large deep irrigation well and irrigation pumps. All batteries and switch gear was installed in a large building along with back up generators.

I was ask to help engineer underground service for his mother in law home close by and talked to the maintenance man keeping the place running which large amperage panel I could tie in. Got to talking to determine about running my service direct to the power supply company or tie into the solar system also, which would need extra special switch gear. He said forget solar,  from day one the solar system  has been a maintenance nightmare. The batteries don't last and the expensive network  of electronic controls are never all online. It is a huge cost drainage, maybe 50% working at a time. They would eventually all be discontinued due to all extra hidden maintenance expenses, and battery/panel replacements. Not worth the expense nor the aggravation.

"Even if the panels did last, it would take 30-40 yrs just to recoup investment, before any benefits. "

Hi, At Florida as it is now insurance companies will not insure a residence with a shingle roof more than 15 years old. The solar panels on such a roof will have to be removed by a crew that knows what they are doing before a roof can be replaced.  All at what additional cost to the home owner.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,390
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

"Even if the panels did last, it would take 30-40 yrs just to recoup investment, before any benefits. "

Hi, At Florida as it is now insurance companies will not insure a residence with a shingle roof more than 15 years old. The solar panels on such a roof will have to be removed by a crew that knows what they are doing before a roof can be replaced.  All at what additional cost to the home owner.

Our electric bill is only about $160 a month.  You just can't cost justify solar at those prices in Oklahoma.

19 minutes ago, other one said:

Our electric bill is only about $160 a month.  You just can't cost justify solar at those prices in Oklahoma.

The only way to justify any of it is if one can disconnect from  a grid where one is dependent upon the services of an electrical energy distributer.

Just got our electric service bills for January; $147 for Florida  and $283 from North Carolina. One for heat the other for cooling. Can't be in both places at once but have to "condition" both; one to keep pipes from freezing, the other to keep mold from forming.. That doesn't include the bill for propane for a fireplace. Hard to figure that one. It now costs about $400 for a fill up. Living gets pricey.  I keep thinking I will be able to simplify life, but instead it just gets more complex. We talk a tiny home" off grid, but so far not living it."

Where are my old issues of Mother earth? I remember those fluorescent tubes passive solar heaters and all sorts of stuff I was going t do so long ago, but never did, not even when we bought an subtropical island, seems the DEA and all sorts of government  people ocame out of the wood work to make that lifestyle attempt  complicated too. Instead I worked long and hard to ty to make the typical "Little Pink Houses" for you and me work as I raised my family.

The only real security I have found  is in our Lord and savior Yeshua. How perfect that security is! No solar panels needed either!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  1

Solar probably still makes more economic sense on new builds rather than retrofits. The switchgear costs are really going down according to an electrician friend who's been installing for some people around here.

For my money, geothermal is the way to go, but that too is a expensive retrofit.

Cost amortization may not make sense, but some people are looking at it as a philosophical decision.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  451
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I have relatives in Florida and can attest to that.  They have to have a new roof every so often I believe something related to the storms they get.  I think it's a bit extreme as maybe they should have roofers inspect a home and attest to insurance companies that the roof is still good as opposed to ripping it off whether they need it or not.  I'm not sure if they would not be covered, though, but rather I believe I was told they'd have to pay MORE insurance cost if they did not comply.  Florida has some crazy laws concerning windows, too.  They don't want you to have windows with any solar gain either because it would increase the AC requirements in the summer.  Given proper shades and curtains, I think they are wrong as the solar angle is such that very little sun gets into the house in the summer. Up here in PA, my south windows all let the sun in during the winter (passive solar) and during the day my furnace hardly goes on even during the coldest of days.  And I'm not a "greenie" either.  Just a cheap PA Dutchman who gets free heat.  But solar panels cost too much.  I would love them to supply free power when our flunky power company goes off again, but not for a 5-digit cost.