IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Content Per Day:  3.64
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, farouk said:

@DeighAnn FYI............any wisdom for this topic?

I will tell you HOW I deal with things that try and get a hold of me.  

Back in my 20's I started to drinking.  About 6 months into it, I noticed that I started salivating causing me to want one.  I stopped and didn't have another drink for 3 plus years.  I have NEVER let myself get to the point of it being any sort of a habit again.  

I have tasted food that upon tasting, decided I would never eat it again because it was SO DELICIOUS, and caused such a want in me, I thought, don't need that monkey.  

So the only real 'addiction' I have ever had was smoking cigarettes.  I would smoke for a couple years and then I would start again.  That cycle has been with me all my life.  I think it was 2 birthdays ago, I decided to PRAY that GOD take it from me.  It wasn't EVEN a really heart felt prayer, more of one of those 'I really shouldn't do this', I don't want to get macular degeneration.  

WOW.  When I think about it, it really is a bizarre feeling.  I woke up the next day and had no craving.  I went through NO withdrawals except for my sense of smell and taste getting better.  Never have to this day.  NOW I thank God they are sooo expensive.  I DIDN'T even know they had gone up in price until a neighbor mentioned it THAT is how far from my life they went.  

Now my only addiction is the BIBLE. I'll take it.  I don't find the things of this world even very interesting, let alone addicting.  And now the dogs are staring and telling me it is time for treats and they are bored...so duty calls....That's all I got anyway. 

Except for tattoos, as long as they are not for the dead, I am good, 

and that is because of 

28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD

I'll have to go read the thread and I'll be back, if I have any questions.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

8 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Here we see Israelite false prophets cutting themselves for Baal as well:

1Ki 18:27-29

And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.

And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.

And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.

The Lord told the Israelites not to do after the manner of the heathen in the land.  Pagans and witch doctors all over the globe tattoo themselves.  We should exercise discernment too. 

But brother, who is condemning anyone?  We all bear 'marks' of our past.  We all have things in our past that we regret.  I have a son born to me out of wedlock (there is no 'erasing' of that either, and I wouldn't want to! He is 43 and is finally as of just this past year, serving the Lord now....God can redeem the marks of our past!  \o/ )  He lives on the other side of the country and already has tattoos, and when he came to faith recently, unbeknownst to me he almost immediately went out and got the letters Yahweh or Jeshua (forget which) tattooed on his fingers.  I just said to him in that moment of our phone conversation, that God doesn't need us to do that for Him.  We had more important things to talk about at the time, and it takes time to learn the word and ways of the Lord... we aren't born again knowing everything of God's will.

But surely there are times when it's appropriate and kind to try to dissuade others from doing something they will regret down the road if we have the opportunity beforehand. 

Haha its why I don't reply must any more. I never meant it at anyone. I was just thinking broadly? Sorry if I thought someone was condemning, I would say it. I was just thinking in general.  Not here to puff anyone up only what I know and your posts are very wise and spot on (the ones I read). I disagree a tiny bit with you here. Just read, heard, watched the debate over this for what 55y now.  Yeah my first advice would be NO don't do it lol but its not Pegan or evil. I know some as you said use it for witnessing but I would agree never do that for witnessing, I personally think that would be very unwise. What is already there using it after Christ found you praise God. But we man will do what man wants. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,400
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

Hi @bropro . Re. the Marines on the other thread, I think Semper Fi is quite a sought after tattoo among Marines, right?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

1 minute ago, farouk said:

Hi @bropro . Re. the Marines on the other thread, I think Semper Fi is quite a sought after tattoo among Marines, right?

I am sure that it is pretty high on the list. I thought about getting a tattoo when I was in the Corp, but reasoned that it would be there for good. So I decided against it.

Gary

• Interesting! 1

LadyKay said, 

Since tattoos and ear rings today have nothing to do with pagan religion or  linking a person to a religion, I see no harm in them.
(back a bit). I mean, all the preachers' wives with earrings would be hard to deem pagan, right? It wouldn't make sense to take such a stance....

3 hours ago, DeighAnn said:

Now my only addiction is the BIBLE. I'll take it.  I don't find the things of this world even very interesting, let alone addicting.  And now the dogs are staring and telling me it is time for treats and they are bored...so duty calls....That's all I got anyway. 

Except for tattoos, as long as they are not for the dead, I am good

@DeighAnn Thanks for you comment; and re. your earnest desire for the Bible, I'm reminded of a very similar comment by @Rosie1jack2pauline3 ...

Re. what you say about tattoos, it seems like a lot of ppl feel exactly the same as you do. I saw this quote - anecdotal, rather than scientific - from the Bible Belt:

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Seems like a lot of ppl think exactly as you do, about tattoos (which are often faith based).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi @Sower A design I got on my arm wasn't successful. What you just said is right: all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as witness tools. Kind of, With hearts burning with joy, going into the tattoo parlor wanting to express Scripture for future conversations.

Yes, I like your 'first love' comment.

Thanks.

But did you get my point. As often happens, many make impulsive decisions  out of character through emotional experiences. And often regret those emotional decisions.
When I was saved, a tattoo was the last thing I would have thought of, nor understood why anybody would. (Back then)

1 hour ago, Sower said:

Thanks.

But did you get my point. As often happens, many make impulsive decisions  out of character through emotional experiences. And often regret those emotional decisions.
When I was saved, a tattoo was the last thing I would have thought of, nor understood why anybody would. (Back then)

@Sower Yes, I get the important point; thanks for your comment.

It's something that a lot of Christian young ppl would tend to do now; I saw this quote:

From my last trip everyone got a scripture tattoo..Some meaningful scriptures. One girl said she was so thankful .. realizing she could relate the tattoo to her life..I had that tattoo planned out for nearly a year (11months) .. Maybe next year when I go back (these trips are going to be regular every 4 or so months trips) I will get another... Maybe ..One guy decided last minute but everyone literally spent hours on their phone that day looking up verses and verse tattoos ..They are meaningful to them

kmrichard7  christianforums dot com

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Content Per Day:  3.64

9 hours ago, farouk said:

@DeighAnn Thanks for you comment; and re. your earnest desire for the Bible, I'm reminded of a very similar comment by @Rosie1jack2pauline3 ...

Re. what you say about tattoos, it seems like a lot of ppl feel exactly the same as you do. I saw this quote - anecdotal, rather than scientific - from the Bible Belt:

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Seems like a lot of ppl think exactly as you do, about tattoos (which are often faith based).

I think because THIS body just goes back to the dust and we move forward in the spiritual one that it is ok.  I think we aren't supposed to mark for the dead because as CHRISTIANS we are to know they aren't DEAD at all, but continue on living, JUST my opinion though.  

I don't think these younger people ever really checked out how tattoos age...because I can't say as I have ever seen any that aged well.  I know I am super glad mine is not only tiny but hidden because it doesn't look at all like it did back in the day.  

• Brilliant! 1

8 hours ago, DeighAnn said:

I think because THIS body just goes back to the dust and we move forward in the spiritual one that it is ok.  I think we aren't supposed to mark for the dead because as CHRISTIANS we are to know they aren't DEAD at all, but continue on living, JUST my opinion though.  

I don't think these younger people ever really checked out how tattoos age...because I can't say as I have ever seen any that aged well.  I know I am super glad mine is not only tiny but hidden because it doesn't look at all like it did back in the day.  

@DeighAnn

Is yours faith based in design?

Yes, it doesn't have to be big; and some Christians like, e.g., the idea of a little Christian fish sign <>< on a wrist, or finger, etc.

(You're right that often young ppl don't think years ahead when they are getting theirs.)