IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,400
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

On 2/27/2023 at 1:49 AM, Sower said:

the tats they got looked like something from a prison artist spaced out, pretty crude.   

@Sower You raise an interesting point.

In recent decades the average quality of tattoo artwork has significantly improved. A lot of tattoo parlors today resemble salons rather than the dingy industrial section establishments that operate late at night. With the exponential growth of female clients receiving artwork, the quality of the artwork often bears little relation to the sort of tattoos that you describe. The cursive style John 3.16 lettering which the earnest young lady whom my wife and I talked to was exactly the sort of artwork that Christian young ppl would receive: intricate and tasteful; an effective conversation-starter for those who want to use it as such, and not at all crude.

(2c.............)

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jayne Back a bit you said:

"I do have to ask.  What about the verse before the one you cited.  You cited verse 28.  Verse 27 says that men are not to cut their hair at the temple [sideburns] nor their beards."

My question would indeed be: What sort of message does it send to a young Christian with a Bible verse tattoo he or she uses for witness conversations, if one comes down hard on them in a legalistic way?

He or she could reply: Do preachers shave?

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, farouk said:

@bropro So do you actually like being tattoo free?

I do in the sense that my moral compass at that time was pretty foul. I'm sure that if I would have gotten a tattoo then, it would have reflected my immoral life. And that would certainly have affected my testimony and witnessing efforts when I became a Christian.

Gary

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bropro said:

I do in the sense that my moral compass at that time was pretty foul. I'm sure that if I would have gotten a tattoo then, it would have reflected my immoral life. And that would certainly have affected my testimony and witnessing efforts when I became a Christian.

Gary

@bropro Thank-you for your good and thoughtful answer. I can see that your answer relates to the likely context of your life at the time if you had indeed had it done.

Similarly - but maybe from an opposite perspective - all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed seem to have received them for witness tool purposes; a young lady with the whole of the wording of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area, with whom my wife and I spoke, seemed to relate her ink to a joy in the message of the Scriptures. In rather different circumstances, she seemed to be really glad to have taken the initiative to have become a testifying, tattooed Christian woman.

Hi @Thewhitedove FYI..................any wisdom on this thread's topic?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, farouk said:

@Sower You raise an interesting point.

In recent decades the average quality of tattoo artwork has significantly improved. A lot of tattoo parlors today resemble salons rather than the dingy industrial section establishments that operate late at night. With the exponential growth of female clients receiving artwork, the quality of the artwork often bears little relation to the sort of tattoos that you describe. The cursive style John 3.16 lettering which the earnest young lady whom my wife and I talked to was exactly the sort of artwork that Christian young ppl would receive: intricate and tasteful; an effective conversation-starter for those who want to use it as such, and not at all crude.

(2c.............)

Sheesh, give it up.   Please.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  10,144
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

On 2/28/2023 at 3:45 PM, farouk said:

@bropro So do you actually like being tattoo free?

"Why aren't you eating ramen noodles like I am?"

I'm in resounding agreement with my brother, farouk. This has gone on for long enough. Let it rest. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

23 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

"Why aren't you eating ramen noodles like I am?"

I'm in resounding agreement with my brother, farouk. This has gone on for long enough. Let it rest. 

I just had some ramen noodles! I'd rather read about ramen noodles after 20 pages of  ....you know what!:28:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

I just had some ramen noodles! I'd rather read about ramen noodles after 20 pages of  ....you know what!:28:

Hi @kwikphilly

You're a mod, right?

If this thread has now run its course, why not close the thread now? :)

@Logostician back a bit you said:

"I also think Christian tattoos are good.  They aren't marking yourself for the dead because Jesus is risen and alive, and is the source and sustainer of all life.  I don't have any tattoos, and am probably too old now, but I've thought about a lamb with a cross above it on one arm, and a lion with a crown above it, and "King of Kings" below it, on the other.

Any Godly expression of faith and love for Jesus is good.  And we all need to heed the words of Christ:

Luk 9:26.  For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him so shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy Angels.

Mat 5:14-15. Ye are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven.

Good works are key to attracting people to Jesus.  They may read your sign, hat, tattoo, etc.  But they will be watching you.  You need to live it."

Thanks, @Logostician, for your searching words..........

• Thumbs Up 1