WordSword

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  167
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,160
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

The second year after the exodus, God introduced the law of tithing into the economy of Israel. It was included with other laws connected with Israel’s worship via the Tabernacle. The chief purpose of the tithe was to provide for the Levitical service of the Tabernacle. “Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation” (Num 18:21).

The Levites, in turn, were to give a tithe of their income to provide for the high priest. “Thus ye also shall offer a heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest” (Num 18:28).

The tithe consisted of the products of the land, the trees and the flocks. “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.” “And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD” (Lev 27:30, 32).

The law of tithing continued up to the Cross. “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law” (Mat 23:23). “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God … I give tithes of all I possess” (Luk 18:11, 12).

The only ones ever authorized to receive tithes were the Levites. Ever since the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, it has been impossible to keep the tithing law. Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe. No one is qualified to receive tithes now that the priesthood and temple are gone.

What of the Christian’s giving? Most consider the OT tithe as a guide line (which is ok if that’s what you want to give because now there is no set limit on giving—NC). But the NT lays down no specifics whatsoever as to giving. The believer is under no external law for any part of his new life. As in every other aspect of his life, the believer is motivated and guided in his giving by the indwelling Holy Spirit. “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” (Ro 8:2).

Our giving is to be governed by grace; it is a gift of the Spirit. “Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us … he that giveth, let him do it with liberality” (Ro 12:6, 8). “Therefore, as ye abound in everything, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace (of giving) also.” (2Co 8:7).

The Lord Jesus Christ is our Life (Col 3:4), and we belong to Him—all that we are, and all the He has entrusted to us. Not even our human concern and emotions are to motivate and govern our giving.

By His Spirit, the Lord Jesus is to direct our entire life, including our giving. It is to be the “love of Christ that constraineth us” (2Co 5:14). It is to be the Lord Jesus reaching out and meeting the needs of others through us—His love alone is the governing principle. “Though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not (His) love, it profiteth me nothing” (1Co 13:3).

Spirit-directed giving requires spiritual growth. The privilege of sharing, and the responsibility of proper giving, is best carried out on a personal, individual basis. Know to whom you are giving, why, when and how much. In giving to a specific ministry, for instance, it is essential to find out about the work, and those who administer it. Develop a personal relationship where possible.

If the Father has established a ministry and is pleased with the fruit of it, He will move upon the hearts and minds of His people for that work without any pleading, subtle or otherwise, for money. He will cause and enable His people to give specifically and spontaneously.

Instead of heeding the pleas of men for support and dutifully or emotionally contributing out of necessity, we are to listen to the still, small voice from within. We are to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd, and follow where He directs—and He it is who has promised to care for His needy sheep.

In reliance upon and obedience in Him, we will know how to give; not in response to a plea, but by the Spirit’s direction in our minds and hearts. “Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me” (Mat 25:40).

“But this I say, He who soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work. As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; He hath given to the poor: His righteousness remaineth forever” (2Co 9:7-9).

—Miles J Stanford 

MJS daily devotional excerpt for Feb 8

“By the daily ‘supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ’ (Phil. 1:19), the believer united to his Risen Lord ‘grows continually to a more perfect knowledge and likeness of his Creator,’ and grows up ‘after the image of Him that created him, in the sphere where ‘Christ is all, and in all.’ “The child naturally grows up in the likeness of his father, and the new life communicated to the redeemed grows up in the likeness of Him who is the Creator of the new creation if so be that the death with Christ is unflinchingly recognized, and ‘old things’ are truly allowed to pass away to make room for the growth of the new man ‘which is after God . . . created in righteousness, and holiness of truth’ (Eph. 4:24).”

“How many earnest and religious people belong to the Old Adam Improvement Society! It is the recognition of the Christ-life, it is union with the Risen Christ that men need instead of the culture of the religious self-life.” - Eliza Hodges (1803-1867)
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Edited by WordSword
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,429
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, WordSword said:

The only ones ever authorized to receive tithes were the Levites. Ever since the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, it has been impossible to keep the tithing law. Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe. No one is qualified to receive tithes now that the priesthood and temple are gone.

Tithing is from the old covenant period.  New covenant believers are under no such law period.  The great expense of the temple, its sacrifices and the Levites are all non-existent now.  In my opinion, tithing is an institutional thing that needs to be discarded.

But in accordance with the new covenant we are told in 2 Corinthians 9:7 that  "God loves a hilarious giver!" (Greek - hilaron)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, WordSword said:

The second year after the exodus, God introduced the law of tithing into the economy of Israel.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The law of tithing continued up to the Cross. “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law” (Mat 23:23). “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God … I give tithes of all I possess” (Luk 18:11, 12).

Tithing was done long before the law.  Abraham tithed the spoils of war to Melchizedek, the priest.  His grandson, Jacob, vowed to tithe to God.  Neither were under a law.

That's how giving should be done.  A legal demand makes it a duty.  The heart makes it for the Lord.

I don't know why so many despise the tithe.  I tithe, but I don't care what others do.  I give above the tithe when I can and feel led to.

My church couldn't even keep the lights on if people didn't give tithes and offerings, let alone do all the things we do.  One of our big yearly projects coming up is to give financial support to the local pregnancy center.  They help girls/women with pregnancy tests, ultra sounds, diapers, food, classes on baby care, cooking for children, finding jobs, and they work with them and help them up to two years after the baby is born.  They are now working with dads and they always offer counseling support and weekly meeting for women who have had abortions and need a healing from what they have done.  They are currently working with nine of those women and one has come to Christ.

Tithing, for me, just makes it simple.  I know what 10% of my gross income is monthly and that's my base giving to AND through my local church.

It's just my choice.  Yours is yours. No one is demanded to tithe.  But, people should at LEAST do that - if they are able.  If not, then they can't.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,429
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

3 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I don't know why so many despise the tithe.  I tithe, but I don't care what others do.  I give above the tithe when I can and feel led to.

It's just my choice.  Yours is yours. No one is demanded to tithe.  But, people should at LEAST do that - if they are able.  If not, then they can't.

Forgive me - one can make a dead law (which just kills others) about not tithing too.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,588
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Bring back into national practice the year of the Jubilee and all the laws of value of assets and estates that pertain to it.

BTW; a tithe to a restaurant waitress or waiter is one heck of an insult. One that tithes  for serving a meal to them  is a real piker!

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,142
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

There is money, which the Lord has no need of, for everything which exists (the cattle on a thousand hills) belongs to Him. Let us care for one another and especially those in need, freely and without reservation. That's what money is for, yes? No law is needed for those who love their neighbor. Give as you are led to do so. 

There is one who trembles at His word, possessed of a broken and contrite spirit: this is the offering which God esteems more than all the wealth in this world. A life given to the Lord freely and without reservation shall be returned a hundredfold. 

Not money nor wealth... a life. Money can become utterly worthless in an instant. We can live with it or without it; either way, it possesses no real value in the sight of the Almighty. We, however, are of inestimable value to the Son of God who created us, and who gave Himself for us. :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

@walla299

Edited by R. Hartono

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Tithing is from the old covenant period.  New covenant believers are under no such law period.  The great expense of the temple, its sacrifices and the Levites are all non-existent now.  In my opinion, tithing is an institutional thing that needs to be discarded.

But in accordance with the new covenant we are told in 2 Corinthians 9:7 that  "God loves a hilarious giver!" (Greek - hilaron)

Hi, and thanks for the reply! One could give a tithe or more or less, as long if it's what he wants to give: "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly" 2Co 9:7

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Giving has been around before Mosiac laws and during. It has been that way in the NT church.

If the NT is better then the old law, then maybe we ought to give better. Not like 5 percent less. 

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

We have freedom in Christ to tithe - or not. It really is our choice and that seems to scare some people. That would include some who only want your money also!

One thing I dislike about the subject when applied to NT times is the really horrific abuse the idea has suffered at the hands of things like the Prosperity "Gospel" and such like. I've seen this personally and its no wonder some will likely never enter the door of a church again.

I see it like this: If there's one place it would be mentioned that tithing was required in the NT era it would most likely be during the Jerusalem Council in Acts. It was there the leadership came to agreement about what was required for gentile believers, and there is no mention of tithing there, if memory serves. Paul talks about giving quite a bit in his letters, but not about tithing. Just giving as a man has determined in his heart and its not to be a requirement (i.e. commanded/demanded). Tithing, while not required for the NT believer - is not a bad starting point! A person's giving probably should not end there either, but should be as directed by the Holy Spirit.

• Well Said! 1