• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

1 hour ago, Mije said:

I’ve learned that too, it’s best to shut up and listen. But I always end up saying something😂

What about swearing on this forum- is it permitted?

Absolutely not! :taped:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,472
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, Mije said:

I’ve learned that too, it’s best to shut up and listen. But I always end up saying something😂

:red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:  My thinking is that as a Christian, we may loose our temper and of the flesh let something verbally fly on occasion (praise God there's the blood of Jesus!), but with our written words in typing out a message, there's not much reason or excuse for it!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,049
  • Content Per Day:  1.61
  • Days Won:  0

I regret this is one of my struggle areas.  I actually curse ALOT. And not just for a Christian,  but as a regular person.  Someone who never met me would probably swear I WASN'T a Christian.  I've been a Christian for 20 years but you wouldn't know it by much of my speech. I really don't even know I'm doing it until after,  but it's just something I've never been able to get control of.  Scripture talks about unwholesome speech.  In my opinion,  cursing is any unhelpful speech or speech that doesn't glorify GOD.  One of my favorite songs is "Speak Life" by Tobymac. The music video on YouTube is great.  I highly recommend it.  It's about always considering what you say to people,  because words are very powerful.  

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Mije said:

Swearing, cursing, foul mouth, vulgarity…

Both of my kids have taken this up, and then say, ‘Oops, sorry, Dad’ when I hear them. They are both adults now.

What’s the deal with swearing and Christianity? 

Perspective.

Raised by a military carer alcoholic dad, then two tours a Marine, and fifty yrs construction job sites.
Like Patriot said, it's hard to beat. Over 40+ yrs as a believer, I've whittled it down to just two 'bad' words, occasionally.
As a teenager, around the younger girls, I found out no guy I knew could out swear them, hands down. (sorry ladies)

When I have one slip out, not one person has ever made mention of it.  Ever. Believer or non. I believe my friends all know me, and understand me.

There was never judgement. I never curse anybody nor any thing. But when I hit that sore thumb with a hammer, auto cuss relieves the pressure. I have witnessed Jesus to those hard core carpenters I work with on the job, telling them about Jesus, and forgiveness, and the gospel. A cuss word would escape my tongue sharing the good news with them and they never even blinked. Not an excuse to cuss. Paul said he was All things to all people that some might be saved.       (watch out when you judge:)

Saying that bad word for emphasis is the least of my sins. Still misses the mark.
It's what goes on in my mind that causes me such shame, not my outward appearance. Wretched man that I am, Thank you Jesus..

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,472
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

32 minutes ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

I regret this is one of my struggle areas.  I actually curse ALOT. And not just for a Christian,  but as a regular person.  Someone who never met me would probably swear I WASN'T a Christian.  I've been a Christian for 20 years but you wouldn't know it by much of my speech. I really don't even know I'm doing it until after,  but it's just something I've never been able to get control of.  Scripture talks about unwholesome speech.  In my opinion,  cursing is any unhelpful speech or speech that doesn't glorify GOD.  One of my favorite songs is "Speak Life" by Tobymac. The music video on YouTube is great.  I highly recommend it.  It's about always considering what you say to people,  because words are very powerful.  

This sounds like the perfect opportunity!  That is, you said you've tried everything . . . have you tried giving it to Him, saying something like, "Lord, I've tried everything to stop swearing and I seem to have little control.  I give this to you.  You live in me, so live through me in this matter"?  You might do that, then trust Him and remind yourself (and Him - not that He really needs reminding) that you gave it to Him.

If you don't see results right away, that's fine.  Just keep saying, "Lord, I've given this to you.  Work in me to remove it.  You get the glory. Thank You for hearing my prayer."

Edited by Vine Abider
Clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Mije said:

No it is not.  However, people do it anyway. It takes a while, but it is usually erased.

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,240
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

It is indeed a matter of exposure, and we can find ourselves engaging in unsavory speech at any time. Like our brother @Sower, I was exposed to... colorful... speech constantly in the military where it's the norm. When I was discharged from the Army, I found it necessary to apply rigorous discipline to clean up my mouth, and there's only one way to go about doing that:

Practice. Practice, and coming up with alternatives to cuss word phrases which are typically used to emphasize something we are saying. For example, when hitting a finger with a waffle-headed framing hammer:

"Ouch! Well, buy me a box of a dozen jelly donuts, that hurt!" 

The idea is to replace unsavory epithets with something innocuous that will be easy to dispose of once the habit is broken. Cuss words are a habit, and habits are typically not easy to break.

"Ow! Buy me some lunar real estate! I did it again!" :wacko:

• Haha 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,240
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

7 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

It all takes time to change and we have no better than the Holy Spirit as our helper.

I still swear, nothing like I used to...i ask the Holy Spirit to help me with it and he does, when I see a post like yours, it helps me feel not so alone, you’re honest and upfront ,I believe God likes that, let’s pray together for the Lord to rid us of this cursed and bad language, In Jesus Name, Amen!!...💗🙏

Amen, sister. It happens to me as well. Many of the clients where I work engage in prodigious cussing and being in a place to listen to their concerns and offer counsel, I've found myself slipping into that lingo. Many of my colleagues engage in it as well. 

The Lord has never dealt with me harshly regarding such things. His Spirit reminds me that we should bless and never curse, and that controlling the tongue is part of His work in us. So, when I use creative alternatives to bad words with someone who uses them liberally, the result never fails to elicit laughter. They'll look at me and say, "What? You want me to buy you a dozen jelly donuts?" :24:

It also has the effect of distracting the one doing the cussing. ;) 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,308
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

the only time i swear is when i hurt myself or im having a bad gaming session. most of the time i try to say other words in place of them

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1967

I got into a funk this past week and decided, ‘What the ‘blank’, I don’t care anymore and I’ll do and say whatever I want.’

Stupid, right? I felt stupid, too. But I didn’t necessarily feel like I was sinning, I just felt like I knew better and should shut the ‘blank’ up.