Mije

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  0

You are supposed to have control over your tongue.  That means you have to control your mind too.  When I was saved I stopped swearing because God told me to do that.  Every time I hear cussing or if I inadvertently let out a bad word, it makes me cringe literally.  It's grating to my ears.  I can't be around people with loose mouths for very long.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,605
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 2/13/2023 at 6:36 AM, Mije said:

Swearing, cursing, foul mouth, vulgarity…

Both of my kids have taken this up, and then say, ‘Oops, sorry, Dad’ when I hear them. They are both adults now.

What’s the deal with swearing and Christianity? 

Shalom, Mije.

Actually, what usually leaves many mouths is technically not "swearing" or "cursing." They are "expletives, profanity, and obscenities." They are mere "fillers" for something better to say.

The Scriptures give us this:

Paul said,

Ephesians 4:29-32 (KJV)

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

These are good words by which to live.

As I've said before, my mom was a grammarian, an English professional, and a secretary par excellence: She was a proficient typist, stenographer, and calligrapher. These were rare skills when she was alive, and they are rarer still today.

She would say that evil speaking is just a sign that one has a weak vocabulary. What was her solution? One should read and learn new words, particularly adjectives and adverbs - at least one a day - to strengthen one's vocabulary. Use the word in a sentence at least three times that day, and at least once a day for a week. Write them down in a log, and continue to use them as the chance arrives.

We live in a society that embraces and even endorses such corrupt communication, but one should know what one is saying. Look up the words in a slang dictionary, and don't use the word or phrase if it is not what you are intending to say!

"Swearing," by the way, is actually binding yourself to an oath - a promise. When one says, "By God, I'll do this or that," he or she is swearing an oath.

"Cursing" is a PRAYER! It is praying evil upon someone else, hoping they experience pain and "misfortune" from God.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dave-regenerated said:

You are supposed to have control over your tongue.  That means you have to control your mind too.  When I was saved I stopped swearing because God told me to do that.  Every time I hear cussing or if I inadvertently let out a bad word, it makes me cringe literally.  It's grating to my ears.  I can't be around people with loose mouths for very long.

Shalom, Dave-regenerated.

That's a good point! With whom one associates can influence one's vocabulary! If one is hearing a word said in every single sentence from all one's associates - friends, co-workers, family members, etc. - one will tend to "pick up" the same habits of speech.

Sometimes, one must change one's environment to improve one's word choice. We worry about the "friends" our children are "hanging out with." "Birds of a feather flock together" used to be the old adage that expresses that association link. Often, it means that new Christians must find new companions. Being "new creations," new Christians must learn to "hang out" with other Christians as often as possible - ones that have good manners and language habits, of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

45 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

corrupt communication

I've not seen a really good definition for that.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,472
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

12 hours ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

I completely understand your point,  but I think many people completely misuse the " giving it to God " thing as if by doing so they are absolved of any effort on their part. A holy life is ALOT of work. God doesn't just make it happen. We have to constantly try hard to remove sin in our lives.  I have tried to "give it to God" but I am still expected to do my part. 

You are right - we must do "our part."  And I believe that means we need to keep trusting in Him to do it in us. . . . that is our resisting the devil. ("Apart from Me you can do nothing.") And that may also mean speaking the truth (His word) about the matter to ourselves and the principalities and powers.

In the end, I liken it to a huge truck with a 1000 HP engine.  It has fantastical ability, but it just sits there unless we do "our part," which is actually infinitesimally  small in comparison to the immense power of the truck.  That is, we must turn the key and engage all that power!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1967

4 hours ago, Dave-regenerated said:

I can't be around people with loose mouths for very long.

2 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Often, it means that new Christians must find new companions

If it weren’t for Christians willing to get dirty with me I wouldn’t have ever believed.

36 minutes ago, other one said:

I've not seen a really good definition for that.

Shalom, other one.

Well, the NIV has ...

Ephesians 4:29-32 (NIV)

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

But the Greek is ...

τοῖς ἁγίοις τοῖς οὖσιν ἐν Ἐφέσῳ 4:29-32 (Scrivener's Textus Receptus 1894)

29 πᾶς λόγος σαπρὸς ἐκ τοῦ στόματος ὑμῶν μὴ ἐκπορευέσθω, ἀλλ’ εἴ τις ἀγαθὸς πρὸς οἰκοδομὴν τῆς χρείας, ἵνα δῷ χάριν τοῖς ἀκούουσι. 30 καὶ μὴ λυπεῖτε τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐν ᾧ ἐσφραγίσθητε εἰς ἡμέραν ἀπολυτρώσεως. 31 πᾶσα πικρία καὶ θυμὸς καὶ ὀργὴ καὶ κραυγὴ καὶ βλασφημία ἀρθήτω ἀφ’ ὑμῶν, σὺν πάσῃ κακίᾳ· 32 γίνεσθε δὲ εἰς ἀλλήλους χρηστοί, εὔσπλαγχνοι, χαριζόμενοι ἑαυτοῖς, καθὼς καὶ ὁ Θεὸς ἐν Χριστῷ ἐχαρίσατο ὑμῖν.

Transliterated, this is ...

Tois hagiois tois ousin en Efesoo 4:29-32

29 Pas logos sapros ek tou stomatos humoon mee ekporeuesthoo, all' ei tis agathos pros oikodomeen tees chreias, hina doo charin tois akouousi. 30 Kai mee lupeite to Pneuma to Hagion tou Theou, en hoo esfragistheete eis heemeran apolutrooseoos. 31 Pasa pikria kai thumos kai orgee kai kraugee kai blasfeemia artheetoo af' humoon, sun pasee kakia; 32 ginesthe de eis alleelous chreestoi, eustlagchnoi, charizomenoi heautois, kathoos kai ho Theos en Christoo echarisato humin.

The first three words of verse 29 read, "Any word unwholesome." "Sapros" is an adjective that means "rotten, useless, corrupt, depraved, worthless." Is that sufficient?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

39 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

And.....    who gets to decide what is unwholesome???

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,472
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

2 minutes ago, other one said:

The Spirit of Christ within will check the person's speaking (if they are listening).  It happens to me all the time!

Edited by Vine Abider
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, other one said:

Shalom, other one.

Well, it won't be me! :laugh:

I would say that the Ruwach haQodesh (the Holy Spirit) of God must convince a person what is "unwholesome." Of course, that requires a person who will LISTEN to the Ruwach's persuasion.

When the Messiah returns, HE will speak and ALL will listen ... OR ELSE!

• Thanks 1