dmdarapt

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Hey, I just heard about this and I thought it would help with morale in this country and I thought I would share it-
Apparently they are contemplating implementing this! They either want to implement 5-hour workdays or have 8-hour workdays but only 4 days per week, everyone would have 3 days off per week! They already have only 6-hour workdays in France and Sweden and their societies still manage to function, studies are showing people are much happier and more productive when they do this! French people get 6-hour workdays, a mandatory long lunch break, and a mandatory 30 days of paid vacation per year! They are able to do this without their society becoming completely unglued!

If they do implement this we may have people snapping out of being depressed and suicidal! Our economy and GDP may take a hit from this but if it is saving people's lives it may be worth it!

Japan is exactly the opposite to this, they nearly work people to death in Japan! Apparently it is considered a grave insult to leave the office before your boss in Japan, if your boss is working late you have to stay and keep working until they are done!

They are rolling this out in California right now! There is a bill in the legislature that will transition the state to a 4-day work week, 3 days off per week for everyone! If it works they may do it everywhere else!
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, dmdarapt said:

They are rolling this out in California right now! There is a bill in the legislature that will transition the state to a 4-day work week, 3 days off per week for everyone! If it works they may do it everywhere else!

Calif has learned how to subsidize their wanton spending by having the working class, those who work 40-60 hrs a week, to pay through the  taxes paid for biased special programs. At 76-73 my wife and I work six days a week, ultra frugal, and the country is getting crazier every day. And getting away with it. Sure, go for it. No workie no eatie from the bible does not apply to the tree hugging do-gooder nuts. The "wagon pullers" are really getting tired of all those jumping into the wagon, every day.
Only 1/2 of the country, 51%,  pay "contribute" taxes so those who don't work don't get left out. What a sad joke!

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, dmdarapt said:
Hey, I just heard about this and I thought it would help with morale in this country and I thought I would share it-
Apparently they are contemplating implementing this! They either want to implement 5-hour workdays or have 8-hour workdays but only 4 days per week, everyone would have 3 days off per week! They already have only 6-hour workdays in France and Sweden and their societies still manage to function, studies are showing people are much happier and more productive when they do this! French people get 6-hour workdays, a mandatory long lunch break, and a mandatory 30 days of paid vacation per year! They are able to do this without their society becoming completely unglued!

If they do implement this we may have people snapping out of being depressed and suicidal! Our economy and GDP may take a hit from this but if it is saving people's lives it may be worth it!

Japan is exactly the opposite to this, they nearly work people to death in Japan! Apparently it is considered a grave insult to leave the office before your boss in Japan, if your boss is working late you have to stay and keep working until they are done!

French society is a bit unglued. Havent you seen news about all the riots there? 

In my husband's profession, and mine, there is a great shortage of workers nationwide. Cutting the workweek would exacerbate the shortage. And in todays inflationary society, I doubt the majority of the working public can afford to have their hours cut from a 40 hour workweek to a 32 hour workweek. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

3 hours ago, dmdarapt said:

I would not count on much from that state spreading to red states

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

Interesting. 

A long time ago when I worked for a brother doing remodeling jobs and general residential construction work, we would burn the oil and continue working after the sun set. We did as much as we possibly could to turn a 5-day work week into a 2 or 3-day work week. It was worth it.

As for the work I do now, I'd be quite alright with four ten-hour days. No problem with that at all.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

This was attempted many years ago when automation and industry were supplying goods such that people did not need to work as long as before. The church was advocating 4-day work week. The industrialist wanted to maintain the regular pace, pushing for the creation of more and more consumers. 

Obviously we know who won that argument.

I'll see if I can find a source on that.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I'm against mandatory anything from the government.

But if a private business were to implement this, and some do I'd have no issue with it. But with inflation these days I think you'd find a lot of people unable to pay their rent only working 24 hours a week. I know I couldn't. They'd be working 2-3 jobs to do it which would negate the 4 day work week.

And some job, like mine literally couldn't be done in 4 6 hour days. It wouldn't be practical.