• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

19 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

I think leaders will come eventually, but not to start this off lest anyone can claim the glory.  In a sense there were leaders.  A few students decided to push the ending time of the service and just kept on going there.  Others followed along and it became big.  Once the honeymoon is over with the Lord, these people will then seek to learn more about God and He will provide shepherds for the flock. The situation is akin to Acts 10:44-48 where the Holy Spirit fell on people by Peter's mere preaching.  Surprised, Peter then commanded they all be baptized so I'm sure these people later joined other Christians.

In addition, we know they were reading the Bible, so that's their leader given that it was written by prophets and apostles. It matters not that they are no longer with us in the flesh, but in spirit. Like I said earlier, it may be best not to overly analyze the situation as interesting that it is.  If it is of God, nobody can stop it.  I prayed and said to the Lord I knew He could pull this off (after praying for people to turn to Him over the years).  It is the mark of the Spirit the same way if someone plays a practical joke one can oftentimes ascertain who did it by the character of it.  At this juncture, I just know that God is at the attention-getting stage.  The leaders, doctrine, etc will come later.

That's not how it happened in the 70's though.  Chuck Smith already had a church, though it was a small one.  IT began there and moved into the streets, not the other way around.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

That's not how it happened in the 70's though.  Chuck Smith already had a church, though it was a small one.  IT began there and moved into the streets, not the other way around.

OK, so what's your point then?  That all revivals MUST happen the same way?

2 hours ago, tim_from_pa said:

OK, so what's your point then?  That all revivals MUST happen the same way?

I'm not God, so no, not all revivals must happen the same way.  He will move as He sees fit, but He also will not go against scripture, now will He?  All through scripture we see where someone brings the word, like the Apostles did, before any movement happened.  I've yet to find where there has been no accountability, have you?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

15 hours ago, OneLight said:

And a bit more on that. One of Chuck`s disciples spoke on the `70`s move of God among the hippies. He told of how Chuck and his wife discipled some hippies and then they, some with wives went into houses and became the `parents` to the hippies who came and lived there. They were then discipled and then they discipled others who either stayed or went away to disciple. There were many houses like that with 30 - 40 hippies in each.

The police used to bring in hippies who were out in the night and ask the house parents if the hippies could stay for the night. Of course, and then in the morning when these `guests` were fed and watered, they were given the gospel, became saved and then continued in the house being disciples. The everyday life of living with so many others really worked out a person`s character.

I`ll see if I can find that video as it gives a fuller picture of what the Lord was doing and not just through one man. Discipling is God`s way, whereas often man would try and corral people in great numbers and control them. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

On 2/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, OneLight said:

I'm not God, so no, not all revivals must happen the same way.  He will move as He sees fit, but He also will not go against scripture, now will He?  All through scripture we see where someone brings the word, like the Apostles did, before any movement happened.  I've yet to find where there has been no accountability, have you?

I think the problem is semantics here.  Your key point is going against scripture which I did not see any such thing reported, although admittedly I was not there.  So, who or what do you define as bringing the Word according to Scripture?  Is not the Bible enough?  How about the students that prayed?  How about the Holy Spirit Himself?  Of course "someone" causes the spark just like any action can put something into motion. I think we can go around and around here and while I don't fundamentally disagree with you, I think our definition of that "someone" varies. 

1 hour ago, tim_from_pa said:

I think the problem is semantics here.  Your key point is going against scripture which I did not see any such thing reported, although admittedly I was not there.  So, who or what do you define as bringing the Word according to Scripture?  Is not the Bible enough?  How about the students that prayed?  How about the Holy Spirit Himself?  Of course "someone" causes the spark just like any action can put something into motion. I think we can go around and around here and while I don't fundamentally disagree with you, I think our definition of that "someone" varies. 

You are right, we are talking past each other, as if we are discussing two different subjects.  I am speaking about accountability to someone, someone whom God put in place.  Back in the Jesus Movement time, that was Chuck Smith.  Chuck had to keep Lonnie Frisbee in line as Lonnie started to place his ideas above what God was doing.  If it was just Lonnie doing what Lonnie thought was right, I don't believe the movement would of lasted.  Lonnie sure did love the Lord, but somewhere along the way, his message began being directed by his personal desires, and it was evident  Lonnie decided to move to Florida after Chuck spoke to him.

Does God speak to people personally?  Sure.  Does the Holy Spirit teach us? Sure.  Are the prayer warriors seeking His presence and leading?  Sure.  Still, there needs to be accountability, which is why God set up His body as He did.  We find this in 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4 and 1 Timothy 3, with warnings about false teachers and false prophets in 2 Peter 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 2/24/2023 at 11:48 PM, OneLight said:

I have been following this with great expectation that God is on the move in the same way He did in the early 70's, but I noticed one thing lacking, a Chuck Smith. someone to guide them and lead them.  Yes, we are led by the Holy Spirit, yet even God set up authorities/elders to oversee the body.  Is there one in this revival that I've not noticed yet?

For every Chuck Smith there are a dozen who work hard to squelch it.

I was there on the inside track during the Jesus movement of the early 70's.  I saw faces light up when Jesus was mentioned.  I saw happiness and purpose and joy and hope among those who suddenly became aware of His blessings being poured out.  I saw people become intensely interested in studying the Bible and in participating in worship that hadn't been inside a house of prayer for years.....didn't even own a Bible before then.

.....and I saw church leaders who HATED the whole thing, who took every opportunity to suppress it and deny it, to condemn it and to mock it.  They had their reward.   Many of them are dead now - deservedly so.

We need Jesus in this land.   I hope the movement grows and that some way somehow our leaders shut their mouths about it.  

We don't need them.  

We just need Jesus.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by choir loft
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, choir loft said:

For every Chuck Smith there are a dozen who work hard to squelch it.

I was there on the inside track during the Jesus movement of the early 70's.  I saw faces light up when Jesus was mentioned.  I saw happiness and purpose and joy and hope among those who suddenly became aware of His blessings being poured out.  I saw people become intensely interested in studying the Bible and in participating in worship that hadn't been inside a house of prayer for years.....didn't even own a Bible before then.

.....and I saw church leaders who HATED the whole thing, who took every opportunity to suppress it and deny it, to condemn it and to mock it.  They had their reward.   Many of them are dead now - deservedly so.

We need Jesus in this land.   I hope the movement grows and that some way somehow our leaders shut their mouths about it.  

We don't need them.  

We just need Jesus.

I agree that when God moves the doubters come out trying to quench the Spirit.  Yet, there are some who also see a movement like this as an opportunity to promote their cultish ideas.  Discernment is needed, a lot of it, to weed out the platitudes from the truth, the true followers of Christ from the self promoting heretics.  Accountability is also key to oversee the followers to ensure they are not placing their ideas above Gods leading, even in the leadership.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

2 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I agree that when God moves the doubters come out trying to quench the Spirit.  Yet, there are some who also see a movement like this as an opportunity to promote their cultish ideas.  Discernment is needed, a lot of it, to weed out the platitudes from the truth, the true followers of Christ from the self promoting heretics.  Accountability is also key to oversee the followers to ensure they are not placing their ideas above Gods leading, even in the leadership.

Oversight is a thorny issue.

It's been my experience that oversight is naturally self-destructive.  Issues creep into this 'oversight' and in a very short space of time the whole thing gets bogged down into the muck of human involvement.  Leaders tend to become pompous - stuffed full of hubris and self-importance.   There is a political movement in some areas to make political office limited.  One may serve only one or two terms in a position.  This practice might well be adopted by the church.  Far too many leaders have wrecked the movement of the Holy Spirit in the past.

Promotion of cultish ideas is indeed one of the products of true revival.  Weeds do not grow in a desert and imitation is supposed to be the greatest compliment.

Does God not have the ability to guide and direct His own movements?  Why do we need leaders who tend to debauch themselves and anyone who follows them?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

This is the first I've heard about this " revival"

Kentucky?