choir loft

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62
  • Days Won:  0

Perhaps I misunderstood the article, but it appeared to sinuous be reporting a prayer service that has lasted a week without stopping. This is wonderful,  but I don't think I'd call it a revival. God certainly works in many hearts and it's good to see so many people communing with Jesus. But will this continue our get even bigger? I hope so,  but I really doubt it. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

25 minutes ago, choir loft said:

Oversight is a thorny issue.

It's been my experience that oversight is naturally self-destructive.  Issues creep into this 'oversight' and in a very short space of time the whole thing gets bogged down into the muck of human involvement.  Leaders tend to become pompous - stuffed full of hubris and self-importance.   There is a political movement in some areas to make political office limited.  One may serve only one or two terms in a position.  This practice might well be adopted by the church.  Far too many leaders have wrecked the movement of the Holy Spirit in the past.

Promotion of cultish ideas is indeed one of the products of true revival.  Weeds do not grow in a desert and imitation is supposed to be the greatest compliment.

Does God not have the ability to guide and direct His own movements?  Why do we need leaders who tend to debauch themselves and anyone who follows them?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Oversight can, and is abused, when men promote their personal theology above Gods will in matters.  It's man who does the damage.  Why else would God set up bishops and elders, apostles, prophets, teachers, etc. if it was never His idea to use them?  To repeat myself from an earlier post ...

Does God speak to people personally?  Sure.  Does the Holy Spirit teach us? Sure.  Are the prayer warriors seeking His presence and leading?  Sure.  Still, there needs to be accountability, which is why God set up His body as He did.  We find this in 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4 and 1 Timothy 3, with warnings about false teachers and false prophets in 2 Peter 2.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

This is the first I've heard about this " revival"

Kentucky?

It started in Asbury University, in Kentucky, then has spread out to other states and schools.  There is a lot online, both pro and con, about this.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,947
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

5 hours ago, OneLight said:

It started in Asbury University, in Kentucky, then has spread out to other states and schools.  There is a lot online, both pro and con, about this.

Lot's of noise on YouTube. Nothing new. All the usual intensity of charismatic gatherings in the videos.

A simple message of love was preached with humility and touched those present in a supernatural way.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

All I know is that I won't judge it until I see it.

I know some despise it because it's young people; they are Methodist; they are not reformed.  Doubt me?  Oh, I've heard it and seen it written.

I did see a young woman on a news report who was asked what was going on.

She said, "This is all about the only hope that mankind has and that is Jesus Christ.  It's about repentance of sin."

Sounds fine to me.  As I said, I won't because I can't shun it unless someone provides proof that what they are doing is not of God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,206
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

8 hours ago, choir loft said:

Oversight is a thorny issue.

It's been my experience that oversight is naturally self-destructive.  Issues creep into this 'oversight' and in a very short space of time the whole thing gets bogged down into the muck of human involvement.  Leaders tend to become pompous - stuffed full of hubris and self-importance.   There is a political movement in some areas to make political office limited.  One may serve only one or two terms in a position.  This practice might well be adopted by the church.  Far too many leaders have wrecked the movement of the Holy Spirit in the past.

Promotion of cultish ideas is indeed one of the products of true revival.  Weeds do not grow in a desert and imitation is supposed to be the greatest compliment.

Does God not have the ability to guide and direct His own movements?  Why do we need leaders who tend to debauch themselves and anyone who follows them?

Yes, leaders lording it over is quite common. And then there is the way Christ the Head works -

`Paul, Silvanus and Timothy.......we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children......(and) you know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charged everyone of you, as a father does his own children...`  (1 Thess. 1: 1 &  2: 7 & 11)

Note plural mentors, discipling daily in their lives.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,429
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

All I know is that I won't judge it until I see it.

I know some despise it because it's young people; they are Methodist; they are not reformed.  Doubt me?  Oh, I've heard it and seen it written.

I did see a young woman on a news report who was asked what was going on.

She said, "This is all about the only hope that mankind has and that is Jesus Christ.  It's about repentance of sin."

Sounds fine to me.  As I said, I won't because I can't shun it unless someone provides proof that what they are doing is not of God.

Doesn't that sound a lot like the Jesus People movement 50 some years ago!!??  

As I think I posted earlier, I was a little skeptical at first.  But in nothing I saw did it look like it was manufactured or that somebody was making money from it or that there was even any human leader!  And several things I read or saw, the name of Jesus was being proclaimed with a message of love.

What's not to like about that!? :clap:

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Doesn't that sound a lot like the Jesus People movement 50 some years ago!!??  

As I think I posted earlier, I was a little skeptical at first.  But in nothing I saw did it look like it was manufactured or that somebody was making money from it or that there was even any human leader!  And several things I read or saw, the name of Jesus was being proclaimed with a message of love.

What's not to like about that!? :clap:

This is where I have concerns.  Look at how many cult leaders that came out of the church that had nobody holding them accountable.  Jim Jones, David Koresh, Marshal Applewhite and David Burg just to name a few who had nobody holding them accountable - they were without any human leaders.  God set up authorities in the body for a good reason.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

17 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Lot's of noise on YouTube. Nothing new. All the usual intensity of charismatic gatherings in the videos.

A simple message of love was preached with humility and touched those present in a supernatural way.

Intensity yes, but something is missing.

What is missing is the lack of charismatic human leadership. 

What is missing is a crawler along the bottom of the screen telling us where we can send our donation$.

What is missing is any sort of theological clap trap.

What seems to be present is praise of Christ, undiluted unvarnished and unaltered.

We need more of that for sure.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

22 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

This is the first I've heard about this " revival"

Kentucky?

It has the potential to spread across the nation.

The JESUS MOVEMENT of the late 1960's and early 1970's began the same way.

I remember those days.   It was the closest thing to heaven I've ever seen.