• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

check it out

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Personal exoerience from a FaceBook friend.

Deanna Rischer Ramsay
  ·
On Wednesday afternoon, my 18 year old son Jackson and I spontaneously hopped in the car and headed out on a 6 1/2 hour road trip to Asbury University. We had heard the stories of a chapel service that had ended with students lingering afterward..which turned into a time of prayer and confession and worship and reconciliation… and never ended. 8 days later, and they are still there - literally thousands of students and adults have now come through, gathering 24 hours a day, worshiping and praying. We pulled onto the campus at around 9pm and I was equal parts curious and expectant.
As we drove up to the chapel, tears began to stream down my cheeks. I wasn’t technically crying. But I also apparently was. Have you ever had your body physically respond to something before your mind and emotions were even there yet? We parked and joined the sea of people outside the chapel. People were gathered on the grass.. singing and praying… other people were in a huge line, waiting to get into the chapel building. We joined the line and as we stood there, waiting to go in, the tears continued to stream down my cheeks. I am not super emotional by nature, so it caught me off guard.. but it also was just so plain and simple: there was a unique, sweet spirit there. You could feel it. Sense it. My body knew it.
We entered the chapel and found seats. All the lights in the room were on. A few students were on the stage singing, playing and worshiping. But they were mostly drowned out by the voices in the wooden seats that filled the room. Jackson and I took a moment to just sit and listen… soak in what was happening in the room. I closed my eyes and my body felt heavy. Weighty. Not in a burdensome way. But in a way that sensed we were in a profound and sacred space.
We spent the next several hours worshiping, praying, listening, resting, seeking.
The room was filled with college students, families, senior citizens…
Some people sang.
Some people prayed.
They prayed alone. And they prayed in groups. They prayed for the person next to them. And they came forward and prayed at the alter.
Some people sat and read their Bibles.
The young man in front of me sat and journaled prayers to Jesus.
A young dad stood until midnight with one hand raised, and one hand holding his baby as she slept.
There were no big stage lights. The room was fully lit. The sound system was on, but barely. No one on stage was the center of attention. None of us were “wowed” by the talent on the stage. These were just average students stepping in to help shepherd our hearts toward Jesus. They were authentic… humble… and submitted to the Spirit. And when I say they submitted to the Spirit, I mean that with all sincerity. The lead worshipers would start a song, but the Spirit moved among the people in the room in such a unique way - a song would get louder or softer… have clapping or no clapping… not based on how the band led, but on what the Spirit was doing in the room. I don’t even know if I’m able to explain it well. There was a Spirit of unity in the room that expressed itself through the worship in a profound way.
At one point, a man behind us started talking to Jackson, and Jackson and I exchanged a glance, like, “This guy is a little “different”… so just smile and nod.” But this man continued to pause his worship and speak to Jackson, and as we continued to listen, it was clear this was not a smile and nod moment. This was a lean in and listen moment. The man spoken many prophetic things over Jackson… He knew Jesus and heard from Him profoundly. He invited Jackson to join him at the alter… So Jackson and this man headed forward for prayer. He slipped out of the room around midnight, but not before leaning forward one last time and telling Jackson, “Remember this night for the rest of your life.” Jackson proceeded to write everything down that the man had spoken.
At different times throughout the night, people were invited to read scripture aloud from their seat. Other times, a staff person would get up and share a thought or prayer. (The things said were incredibly beautiful… everything was about repentance and surrender and unity and Jesus…) There were stories shared of pastors from different churches seeing one another across the chapel room.. and reconciling, after feeling in “competition” for years. There were other stories shared - one of a missionary couple who was kicked out of their village for sharing the gospel. They ended up seeing a 12 second clip of the Asbury worship service online, decided to go back to the village and ask to share the gospel one last time… and the entire village put their faith in Jesus! (I share these stories with you to fan the flame of your faith too!)
Jackson and I stayed several hours… and we finally checked into a hotel at 3am. But I just have to say, I will never forget the sound in that room at Asbury University. The sound of worship was just different. Every single person there had come expectant. Maybe, like me, not even sure what to expect. But they came with wonder. Filled with faith that something was there for them. Something was happening. And they were curious. They came seeking. You don’t find yourself in an old chapel at 1am on a Wednesday night in the middle of nowhere, unless you have a purpose for being there. The voices in the room were filled with faith and it was very unique. Again, I don’t have the words to explain it well. But I’m trying as best I can, since so many have asked.
As Jackson and I are driving home now, we are processing together. I asked him what he felt and what his takeaways were. He said he was honestly just surprised by the whole experience. He had heard about what was happening there, so he expected it to be special… almost magical. Instead, he said, it was none of that. It was the most regular people he has ever seen. No one was “special.” It just felt like you were at home in the most “Shalom” way. He was struck by the profound unity in the room. It was a “the ground is level at the foot of the cross” type of experience. (Oh man - what a good gift to all our hearts - that this “revival” is happening through the most “regular people.” Be encouraged!).
My takeaway, outside of what I’ve already shared? “Revival” comes from The Spirit of God at work in humbled, surrendered people. As people pray for this type of experience to spread and travel, we must know - this type of Revival is not going to come from a platform. I just feel certain of it. It will come from the Spirit of the Living God, having His way in the hearts of surrendered people.
Someone from the Asbury staff last night said, “If you have tasted and seen that the Lord is good, then people should experience radical kindness and humility when they encounter you.”
This is how we will see revival… Followers of Jesus, “regular people,” obsessed with following Him in humility and sacrifice and surrender. Followers of Jesus, obsessed with love.
We are almost home now.
A quick 24 hour trip where we found once again that:
1) God is real
2) He is not impressed by a stage, a platform, or our talents. He loves that we steward our gifts, but our praise sounds the same in His ears whether with stage lights and loud microphones, or with old stage mics and in a well lit room. It’s the posture of our heart that matters.
3) God uses regular people
4) Faith filled voices sound different.
5) Sometimes your body senses the move of the Spirit of God before your mind and heart do. Listen to the tears.
Be encouraged, friends.
He is alive and well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1