• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Days Won:  0

2nd Peter 3:8

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

I have some questions about this verse. I am hoping to find answers here.

Q1---- The years to day ratio implies aging at a slower rate than humans, Can this be true if God is eternal?

Q2---- Why pick  1 thousand?

Then the 6 day creation that tells us man lives six thousand years is using this verse.

And at the same time refuse to use this verse on the creation of earth. Stick with 6 24 hour days w/o sun or moon.

The light that appeared when God said "let there be light" was not the light of sun and moon they did not come along til day 4. Is it possible the first four days were 1000 yrs long the the next day were 24 hour days.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Don't know but God is timeless, as was indicated. (Forward or backward)
What I do know, is that

"This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it"

Same as yesterday, same as tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.77

To me, that means that time doesn't work the same for God as it does for man.

But if it is literal, one day the same as a thousand years, how long would that make a week, and how long the 70 weeks of Daniel?

Sometimes the popular use of a term as understood by the people of the time has to be considered, the say way we might understand that "a blink of the eye" means very fast and not a literal tenth of a second.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.34
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.01
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

2 hours ago, NConly said:

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Q1---- The years to day ratio implies aging at a slower rate than humans, Can this be true if God is eternal?

Then the 6 day creation that tells us man lives six thousand years is using this verse.

And at the same time refuse to use this verse on the creation of earth. Stick with 6 24 hour days w/o sun or moon.

The light that appeared when God said "let there be light" was not the light of sun and moon they did not come along til day 4. Is it possible the first four days were 1000 yrs long the the next day were 24 hour days.

Not a ratio. A divine principle. As in days, so in 1000 years,

6 days creation, 7th day rest

6 days for man to work, 7th day rest

Time for man

6000 years, then 7th thousand, millennial kingdom

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Days Won:  0

23 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Or perhaps He was simply pointing out that God is outside of time and we shouldn't try to put God inside our little box.

Thanks The_patriot21. I did mean it seems like a very short time to say 1000 yr.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

6 minutes ago, NConly said:

Thanks The_patriot21. I did mean it seems like a very short time to say 1000 yr.

And what I'm saying is your taking it out of context. Completely. The day as a thousand years has absolutely no connection to the Genesis account, in fact in this passage Peter is talking about the end times. Peter is wanting to know when Jesus is coming back, and Jesus basically saying that we can't know for certain.

It has nothing to do with the Genesis account, which lays out, in black and white, the time table God made the earth in. See God wasn't telling us He was outside of time when Genesis was written, He was telling us what He made in the time table He created for us.

The Genesis account, is a very literal, 7 sequential 24 hour days. In both our modern English Bibles, and in the original Hebrew. 

• Well Said! 2

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

3 hours ago, NConly said:

This is to do with Bible prophecy - one day in scripture concerning prophecy is equivalent to 1,000 years of human history.

So then we often have the expression for example 1,260 days = 1,260 years in history. The same formula applies to weeks (7 days = 7 years) and months (30 days = 30 years).

Psalm 90:4  For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night.

In Hosea is a messianic prophecy concerning Jesus and Day of the Lord, resurrection and then the millennium - all expressed in days.

Hosea 6:1  “Come, let us return to YAHWEH; for he has torn us, that he may heal us; he has struck us down, and he will bind us up. 
2  After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up, that we may live before him.

It is also obvious here that Jesus is YAHWEH. (but that is for another topic thread)

Why pick a thousand years for a day??

Because God is working out his great plan of salvation in a week - seven days for God but 7 thousand years for us mere mortals.

From Adam to the day of the Lord = 6 days (6 thousand years) plus 1 day (1 thousand years) under the government of Jesus brings us to Revelation 21.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, NConly said:

No mathematical algorithm here.  Just a poetical device - a simile.

The psalm of Moses, Psalm 90 gives some clarity....also using a simile.

Psalm 90:4 = "A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night."

Just like the Bible says that God's ways are not our ways, it's saying here that we don't view the passage of time as He does.

There is no connection to Genesis here.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

2Peter 3:8  But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 
9  The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Psalm 90:4  For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night.

Ezekiel 4:4  “Then lie on your left side, and place the punishment of the house of Israel upon it. For the number of the days that you lie on it, you shall bear their punishment. 
5  For I assign to you a number of days, 390 days, equal to the number of the years of their punishment. So long shall you bear the punishment of the house of Israel. 
6  And when you have completed these, you shall lie down a second time, but on your right side, and bear the punishment of the house of Judah. Forty days I assign you, a day for each year.