Jayne

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  666
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

Hummm . . . . I almost hit the OyVeh button as an joke . . . but . . . thought I beter not . . . LOL

I have done that a couple times when people 'oppose themselves' in circular logic . . . IF it is offensive and has associated bad emotions with it, then why is it available to react with?

Are we saying that when people disagree with us, it hurts our feelings?  Plenty of Worthy members disagree with me about various topics, but, we are still friends, and they are free to 'Oyveh me' all they want to.

I don't take it as an insult, but, rather disagreement and frustration IF they are not listening to others, which I freely admit can happen.

Can't a family sometimes disagree and get frustrated with each other? ? ? 

Or . . . are we so fragile that we cannot handle people disagreeing with us?

Just asking . . . . and Yes . . . you can OyVeh me if you want to . . . LOL

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,651
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 minutes ago, Ray12614 said:

Hummm . . . . I almost hit the OyVeh button as an joke . . . but . . . thought I beter not . . . LOL

I have done that a couple times when people 'oppose themselves' in circular logic . . . IF it is offensive and has associated bad emotions with it, then why is it available to react with?

Are we saying that when people disagree with us, it hurts our feelings?  Plenty of Worthy members disagree with me about various topics, but, we are still friends, and they are free to 'Oyveh me' all they want to.

I don't take it as an insult, but, rather disagreement and frustration IF they are not listening to others, which I freely admit can happen.

Can't a family sometimes disagree and get frustrated with each other? ? ? 

Just asking . . . . and Yes . . . you can OyVeh me if you want to . . . LOL

So it has nothing to do with bull fighting, instead just fighting the bull - oney?

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Ray12614 said:

Are we saying that when people disagree with us, it hurts our feelings? 

No, Ray, I am not talking about the fragility of the receiver.  I was trying to address the intent of the sender.  I didn't express myself very well.  I feel bad about that.

I have received many an "oy vey" here and at first was confused, but then I moved on.

I saw one, day before yesterday, to another member that was uncalled for.  Member A asked an unusual question. It was an invitation for those giving an answer to be snarky.  I thought of a snarky answer, but obviously didn't post it.   Member B gave a kind, benign, one-sentence answer.  A Christ-like answer.  Member C gave Member B an "oy vey".  Member C never entered the conversation.  Just a drive-by "oy vey"

I understand now what people here think of the "oy vey".  It's just a silly way of saying "I disagree".  No harm no foul.  I don't feel that way, but I'll accept what the majority believes.

I was just trying to address when it is used out of spite or malice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, Jayne said:

No, Ray, I am not talking about the fragility of the receiver.  I was trying to address the intent of the sender.  I didn't express myself very well.  I feel bad about that.

I have received many an "oy vey" here and at first was confused, but then I moved on.

I saw one, day before yesterday, to another member that was uncalled for.  Member A asked an unusual question. It was an invitation for those giving an answer to be snarky.  I thought of a snarky answer, but obviously didn't post it.   Member B gave a kind, benign, one-sentence answer.  A Christ-like answer.  Member C gave Member B an "oy vey".  Member C never entered the conversation.  Just a drive-by "oy vey"

I understand now what people here think of the "oy vey".  It's just a silly way of saying "I disagree".  No harm no foul.  I don't feel that way, but I'll accept what the majority believes.

For what it's worth, I have interpreted it very much as you..I've maybe used it two or three times, but generally avoid it.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,464
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

5 hours ago, Jayne said:

I've actually never used that button - well truthfully I can't say that now, because I just used it in this thread on a couple posts!  Nothing meant by it - just being silly . . .

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

8 minutes ago, Slibhin said:

I hate it when people "thumbs up" their own posts as if what they said was just so profound and irrefutable, especially if what they said was really stupid. People on forums also like to use emoji's like laugh faces as a form of trolling people who are upset or are passionate about something.

I am not able to post a reaction to my posts. I dont know of anyone on the forums who can.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,257
  • Content Per Day:  1.23

15 minutes ago, Slibhin said:

I hate it when people "thumbs up" their own posts as if what they said was just so profound and irrefutable, especially if what they said was really stupid. People on forums also like to use emoji's like laugh faces as a form of trolling people who are upset or are passionate about something.

@Slibhin

I don"t think you can thumb up your own post.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

On 4/25/2023 at 1:12 PM, Starise said:

I maybe mistakenly always equated " Oy Vey" with " Duh". I once had many Oy Veys from a certain member here and to this day I'm still not quite sure why.

If my memory serves, "oy vey" is an expression of dismay. 

The cake is in the oven... someone slams a door... and the cake collapses. Oy vey!

Coffee brewing incidents... Oy vey! :emot-fail:

I get out of bed in the morning... my right leg is still "asleep"... and proceed to fall like a sack of potatoes on the floor. Oy vey! :crazy:

That sort of thing. 

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

I'm in agreement with @Ray12614, but we can't expect others to abandon what they think and feel in favor of how we view matters. Our individual mindset is the result of our upbringing and experiences in this life, after all. I believe that our sister @Jayne makes a valid point, and we should honor how she feels about this issue. 

Each of us reacts to adversity in different ways. The first time a drill sergeant screamed into my ear at Basic Training, I had to fight the urge to laugh. I found the theatrics comically absurd, not to mention his insults lacking in substance. I kept my lips sealed for truly, whatever the man was screaming about was important to him. My opinion doesn't matter, so I listened to what he screamed impassively. That was how I dealt with it, but the same couldn't be said for my fellow recruits. Where they were concerned, I was stirred to wrath whenever they were broken down and reduced to weeping. 

Spit on me... strike me... and I couldn't possibly care less. So what? Ah, but when I was young, I struggled with witnessing those things being done to others. Over the years, our Lord inculcated the lesson that vengeance is not mine to pursue into my heart and mind. The Lord did not appoint me as His avenger of wrongs on this earth! It was a hard lesson to learn. 

That equipped me for being a mediator today. I would rather have an irate client unload on me than assail another client. I'm not bothered by "oy veys" and the like, especially here in the forum setting. This medium lends itself to misunderstanding and miscommunication. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  666
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

21 hours ago, Jayne said:

Ok, I see where you are coming from now. Yes, I understand what you are saying, and there is always the risk of members responding in ways that are 'snarky'. I just never connected the OyVeh reaction with being snarky.

If Worthy removed the OyVeh button, then what? Snarky members could just reply with something like 'Crazy!!!!' or  'You are out of your mind!!'.   But I suppose that could be addressed by Site Moderators, and it would make those kinds of reactions to actually type something instead of just clicking an OyVeh . . . . 

I am un-decided about this I guess . . . . 

Grace and Peace . . . Ray . . .