IGNORED

'Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.'

farouk

Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.

• Yes, they do work; they are effective
    • No, they don't work; they are not effective
    • Don't know
    • I have my thoughts but would prefer not to express them

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2023 at 08:28 PM

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  1

13 minutes ago, farouk said:

@ChristB4us

Whether ppl like them or not, the fact is that they are hugely widespread among certain demographics, particularly, not least, nurses and health professionals who often use them as conversation-starters (not necessarily as a witness tool) among their many patients.

Heart2Soul said:

....part of being in the military. Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man. .. it is becoming a norm with health professionals...It is becoming a tool people are using to let others identify their faith. ..I do like the idea of Christian based tattoos

christianityboard dot com

BluegrassRN said:

On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. ...I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged

juliannenw said:

I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person.

allnurses dot com

I guess this poll is really about whether the added element of faith content to a conversation-facilitating tattoo can be effective in some circumstances.

Among some demographics such as nurses it seems also like they are gotten by some of the most conservative of ppl.

Thanks for your comments and for your poll vote.

(Seems like the poll answers will make for interesting reflection, won't they?)

Thanks for sharing those testimonies & making that poll.  I shall give thanks to the Lord for His ministry.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,608
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

@FJK Thanks for your comment; feel free also to vote in the poll.

@Willa FYI...............don't know if you saw this poll; you might already have commented in full on the other thread that was closed because it went off topic; but I just thought the poll, above, might be of interest if you hadn't seen it............

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

11 hours ago, ChristB4us said:

Thanks for sharing those testimonies & making that poll.  I shall give thanks to the Lord for His ministry.

Shalom, ChristB4us.

Y'know, the Scriptures tell us that God said to the children of Israel,

Leviticus 19:26-28 (KJV)

26 "Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times. 27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. 28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

Also, Paul added,

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (KJV)

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

I don't know if you've thought about it, but such marks upon your skin are going to damage your ability to witness to orthodox Jews! That's all I'm going to say on the subject.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.34

2 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, ChristB4us.

Y'know, the Scriptures tell us that God said to the children of Israel,

26 "Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times. 27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. 28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

Also, Paul added,

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (KJV)

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

I don't know if you've thought about it, but such marks upon your skin are going to damage your ability to witness to orthodox Jews! That's all I'm going to say on the subject.

When we look at the ten commandments, about creating imageries or statues, it was about creating a "god" to worship after.  Some have applied that to mean no statue nor image at all.

But, the serpent on the pole was created for the Jews in the wilderness should they be bitten by a poisonous snake, to look at the serpent on that pole in the center of the camp, and they would be saved.  At a later time in history, they began to use that serpent on that pole for worshipping a god for why that serpent and that pole was destroyed.

The ark of the Covenant has representations of angels on the lid but nobody worshipped those imageries as far as I know.

Anyway, look carefully at the references you had cited.

Now I would have to believe He is addressing a certain pagan practice of the occult as doing something FOR the dead.

However, if any one has a tattoo done for a dead person like for a memory of them and yet feel convicted that they should have it removed, they can pray to the Lord for an opportunity to have it removed medically by lasers but I believe this is about the practices for the occult and not just getting a tattoo in loving memory of someone that had passed.

Course, those that have tattoos of loved ones done at the time they were alive and then later on, had passed away does not fall under that category at all because they were alive when they had those tattoos done for them.  This is only addressing those that take that verse 28 to the extreme by ignoring the obvious occult practices listed in the prior verses for what those kind of tattoos fall under for what they were done for the dead in regards to the occult practice.

So I do not believe tattoos and anything else is evil unless the purpose and intent of it was for evil.  God knows.

The significance of displaying an image, whether by pendant, medal, or tattoo is in the eye of the beholder.

@Mr. M

FYI: Did you see the poll, above?

15 hours ago, ChristB4us said:

Thanks for sharing those testimonies & making that poll.

@ChristB4us Thanks also for - maybe unwittingly - having been the source of the quote around which the new poll is framed.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked seem to have received them as a witness tool, anyway.

I saw this quote from a nurse:

"Corgiverse RN

At this point- honestly it’s almost a requirement. Every single one of my coworkers is tattooed." reddit dot com

Probably for a lot of 18 year olds going to the tattoo parlor for first ink is likely part of their experience of turning 18.

Not that it supposedly makes them freaks; but instead, it likely comes with a thought similar to:

"I was a girl; now I'm adult woman / I was a boy; now I'm an adult man / so now I can start nursing training / so now I can join the military / so now I can get the tattoo I've been planning", etc.

For the Christians among them, it may also come with a thought similar to:

"I want my tattoo to reflect what is deeply meaningful to me and which I can talk to others about."

• Interesting! 1

@NConly Thanks for the 'thumbs up'. While it's not strictly accurate what some of what one of the quotes mentioned said -

Heart2Soul said:

....part of being in the military. Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man. .. it is becoming a norm with health professionals...It is becoming a tool people are using to let others identify their faith. ..

christianityboard dot com

- yet there is indeed a lot of general truth to these statements. While the first tattoo experience does not actually make the recipient a real man, a real woman, a real military member, a real nurse, etc., but in practical terms it can sometimes seem to be almost essential. (Hence the background to the poll idea.)

Edited by farouk

16 hours ago, ChristB4us said:

As for dishonesty, I failed to see where the dishonesty charge is applied.

@ChristB4us Agreed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.89
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

2 hours ago, farouk said:

@Mr. M

FYI: Did you see the poll, above?

I just responded. I can't imagine a tattoo being any more effective than a T shirt. I had one custom made on line that said "Jesus Christ, Son of God" on one side and "who do you say that I Am" on the other. People here in Prescott,Az loved it. I could have sold them, but that wasn't where my head was at.