• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

40 minutes ago, farouk said:

@kwikphilly Often the geographical location of the couple concerned influences whether the proposed arranged marriage will actually happen or not.......

I think of the words asked of Rebekah in Genesis about Isaac's servant: "Wilt thou go with this man?" Clearly it was not a compulsory arrangement...

Hi Brother,good morning

I think that is a big contributing factor as well,seems to be.I only have what little knowledge I do have  and from a teeny little Country in a very big world- it's really the only thing I could refer to personally.Sure,we can look at statistics and other resources but that doesn't tell us anything about the most important aspect of it all,the 2 people themselves,how they feel, think,live- right?

God's Word,however,does Speak to us intimately,we can get a more personal look just as youve referenced Rebekahs decision,clearly it was her choice,wasn't it?Now of course most people made decisions back then in consideration of their families and others and God's Own made decisions in obedience to God,to do His Will because they served and loved God with all of their hearts,souls & minds.... We must remember though that God First Loved us,just as our Relationship with Him is in Christ,in His Love so His Will is that we Love One Another-

AdHoc mentioned that so many arranged marriages are decided on self profit,gain,convenience etc ...this is completely opposite of God's Will for us all

Love first,God First- one in the same. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 Corinthians 7 covers the issue(s) pretty concisely and rather directly. It is not at all ambiguous.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 5/17/2023 at 1:13 AM, Willa said:

1Pe 3:5 AMP For in this way in former times the holy women, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands and adapting themselves to them;

We women are called to adapt ourselves to our husbands.  That is part of the definition of submit in the Greek.  It means that we are called to 90% effort to change ourselves, come under, adapt to, admire and cherish our husbands.  This also takes a great deal of determination to make our marriages work.  

The fact that many marriages survive is often no small tribute to the patient and sometimes Godly efforts of wives, indeed.

Edited by farouk

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

3 minutes ago, farouk said:

The fact that many marriages survive is often no small tribute to the patient and sometimes Godly efforts of wives, indeed.

My husband told my daughter in law that I was the glue that held our marriage together for over 50 years.  He was wrong.  It was purely god's grace.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Willa said:

My husband told my daughter in law that I was the glue that held our marriage together for over 50 years.  He was wrong.  It was purely god's grace.

@Willa This is exactly what I would expect a humble Christian lady to say; but then I do agree about God's grace...........

@Willa I have been thinking about Hannah in the OT and indeed Eli's unnamed daughter-in-law. It seems really clear that in the hearts of Godly women - at times of rampant unfaithfulness and departure - there was retained something of an abiding vision of God's glory. (Samuel in no small measure owed a lot to the example of his mother Hannah.)

• Thumbs Up 1