IGNORED

Why even care if another is Calvinistic, Arminian or Whatever?

Vine Abider

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  205
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,482
  • Content Per Day:  6.15
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

2 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Indeed. Apart from essentials, theological positions vary greatly. 

Yes, it does say one Lord, one faith, one Spirit, but NOT one theology . . . 

(I'm waiting for someone to bring up, "Yeah, but what about Paul saying, 'Be like-minded' in Philippians 2:2?"

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  334
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Alive said:

I was reading Charles Spurgeon earlier today and it made me wonder how many members here think well of him and his views…sorry, I digress.

Perhaps an OP.

I think well of Spurgeon and many of the other "old timers." I am convinced the people were smarter then, and have become progressively less and less so since the garden---maybe the flood. There are theories based on scientific data (which still remain theories and science is used both to affirm God and deny Him depending on what the institution chooses to do with it) that suggest earth used to have a much greater supply of oxygen, that lessens constantly. That old entopy.

And cultures contribute to this decrease. Back before internet, cell phones, phones period, autos, radio, newspapers etc.---back when people learned what the Bible teaches by digging into the source (the scriptures) and mining it in its totality for its truths, brought much more depth and reason and thought and comprehensiveness to their writings, than what we are normally used to in our time in the world. I have learned a tremendous amount, seen through many lenses what I had not seen, when I began reading Spurgeon, Owens, and countless others. If you haven't read Calvin's "Institutes of the Christian Religion" give that a go sometime. Written at age 25 or 26. 

And I digress right along with you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,416
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

So this is pretty much the same on this forum, right?  There is nothing wrong with sharing our different views of scripture and theology - iron does sharpen iron.  But I think it's helpful to put things in perspective --> by our responses to one another, may we not get all wrapped up in teachings and always be conscious "of the one for whom Christ died."  (Rom 14:15)  They will know us by our love (John 13:35), not our supposed unity in teachings and practices!

Do you think this is a edifying word?

Somewhat. I think that the terms are potentially useful for quick identification of people's basic beliefs, but like I pointed out in another thread that has since been deleted sometimes there's so much division within a particular subset these days that the terms aren't even useful for that anymore. I'm convinced that no one denomination is 100% correct on every little particular thing, but we're not expected to either.

That said there's definitely a need to police the unity at least a little in the name of protecting and preserving the core tenets of Christianity. Throughout history and into the present there have been some really out there beliefs that have entered the picture. Things so far removed from actual Christianity that they need to be denounced as false teachings and a clear line needs to be drawn between the church and those who practice those things.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

5 minutes ago, Arial said:

I think well of Spurgeon and many of the other "old timers." I am convinced the people were smarter then, and have become progressively less and less so since the garden---maybe the flood. There are theories based on scientific data (which still remain theories and science is used both to affirm God and deny Him depending on what the institution chooses to do with it) that suggest earth used to have a much greater supply of oxygen, that lessens constantly. That old entopy.

And cultures contribute to this decrease. Back before internet, cell phones, phones period, autos, radio, newspapers etc.---back when people learned what the Bible teaches by digging into the source (the scriptures) and mining it in its totality for its truths, brought much more depth and reason and thought and comprehensiveness to their writings, than what we are normally used to in our time in the world. I have learned a tremendous amount, seen through many lenses what I had not seen, when I began reading Spurgeon, Owens, and countless others. If you haven't read Calvin's "Institutes of the Christian Religion" give that a go sometime. Written at age 25 or 26. 

And I digress right along with you.

This subject deserves more than I can give now as I am cooking, but I have all of Calvin’s commentary as well as Institutes in my bible software as well as Spurgeon and many others.

We are remiss and doing ourselves an injustice, imo, to not benefit from the saints before us…our brethren.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,416
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Arial said:

I think well of Spurgeon and many of the other "old timers." I am convinced the people were smarter then, and have become progressively less and less so since the garden---maybe the flood.

Yeah, delving a little into off topic territory but I think this is quite possible and that the culture plays a big role in it. I love the internet and as someone who's housebound it's a big enabler for letting me socialize and do things from home but I do recognize that it also encourages a mentality of instant gratification, which can play with our brain chemistry and potentially tax it beyond what was intended. It's a big deal, especially for children and teenagers.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,306
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  99

50 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Yes, it does say one Lord, one faith, one Spirit, but NOT one theology . . . 

(I'm waiting for someone to bring up, "Yeah, but what about Paul saying, 'Be like-minded' in Philippians 2:2?"

Like-minded in love and patience, certainly. Like-minded in sharing identical positions with regard to eschatology and such, not so much. :)

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,377
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

47 minutes ago, Alive said:

This subject deserves more than I can give now as I am cooking, but I have all of Calvin’s commentary as well as Institutes in my bible software as well as Spurgeon and many others.

We are remiss and doing ourselves an injustice, imo, to not benefit from the saints before us…our brethren.

Yeah I remember thread I started where I stated a 'doomed from the womb' statement and you shut down the thread... that was a direct quote from Calvin.  :24: 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Every interaction and circumstance is unique. We very much need to kick self to the curb and consult the Lord. None of us are without shortcomings. We are all in Christ being worked toward His Glory and Witness. Just being cognizent of these things are a help.

A good lesson is learned by Paul of Tarsis. He was haunted by his past mistakes and yet ran the race looking forward. Such is the Grace and Love of our Savior.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

42 minutes ago, Alive said:

I have found great value in Calvin's commentaries as you might recall (it's been a long time since those topics where we discussed that). It's a reading project I intend upon resuming soon, I hope. From the theological perspective I'm in agreement with him.

I haven't had much exposure to Spurgeon apart from quotes other members share on the forum from time to time, so I don't know enough about the man. Many aspects of life others take for granted were absent where I'm concerned; for example, a library of my own is one. Having been homeless for so long and losing everything over and over again, I could only keep what I could carry.

I should look into Spurgeon sometime soon. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Alive said:

Every interaction and circumstance is unique. We very much need to kick self to the curb and consult the Lord. None of us are without shortcomings. We are all in Christ being worked toward His Glory and Witness. Just being cognizent of these things are a help.

A good lesson is learned by Paul of Tarsis. He was haunted by his past mistakes and yet ran the race looking forward. Such is the Grace and Love of our Savior.

Well said. All of us make mistakes, and I certainly blunder into them myself. They are lessons to be learned from the Lord. When I consider opening my mouth (or keyboard) with a certain measure of misgiving preceding that venture, and I do it anyway, it doesn't go well. 

However, it does end well. I learn a lesson about heeding misgivings!

• Thumbs Up 1