Neighbor

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  0

When I lived in the Valley [Phoenix Valley], I purchased a home someone bought, bare minimum, and fell through and was just mere basic necessities.  Immediately, water on plants and such becomes easier having a sprinkler system in.   The ground is like concrete.   I dug up other old systems and that was difficult.  So, I hired a business that specializes in this type of work.   Hot summer day, everything and one needs watered.   The wife said, I don't think these people have had a break....It had been 3 hours in the noon to 3 pm sun.  So, I counted people and grabbed a cooler full of waters and gave one to each one and said, Drink!  Made motion to drink.   They were afraid.  Suddenly, I heard screaming in Espano and the people dropping their bottles on the ground.

I said, 3 hours working need water.   Not these kinds of people, he said.   I asked, what kinds?  He said, Illegal.   I asked, aren't you Illegal?  Oh no no no, I got Green Card.  I said, you ain't a D... Citizen but going to keep your kind of people from drinking water?

They understand peed off big gringo's rather quickly.   Everyone drank TWO bottles of water :guns:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Slibhin said:

I didn't ask what the Tanakh says about laziness. I asked what mechanism the bible gives for Sower to determine without error who is and isn't in need. he made a very flip comment "no workee no eatee" and then snarked about "bleeding hearts" "picking his pocket". I was just clarifying if your bible teaches the principle of "no workee no eatee" and "you bleeding hearts keep your hands off my money".

In the Torah we are required to feed the poor and to treat them well, whether we like it or not. Seems like quite a reversal of policy.

"he made a very flip comment "no workee no eatee" and then snarked about "bleeding hearts" "picking his pocket"

Oops, I forgot who I was replying to. Hi Slibhin. Long time.   Just like old times, girl.   :unsure:

It is ok to be nice.  Reread my post(s), the answer/scripture is still there. If you can't figure it out, an explanation won't help.

It's always so nice to hear from you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

15 hours ago, Neighbor said:

People crashing our border are being called criminals,  drug traffickers, and the like, while what I see is  more people like this waitress. Plus, I see establishments closing up days of the week and even going out of business for lack of willing help.

There are legal ways to enter this country. First, you have to get an education. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,022
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, Slibhin said:

In the Torah we are required to feed the poor and to treat them well, whether we like it or not. Seems like quite a reversal of policy.

There is an interesting study on the reason for Paul's instruction: 2Th 3:10  For even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “If anyone is unwilling to work, he shall not eat.”

It begins here:

Gen 3:19  By the sweat of your brow you will eat your bread, until you return to the ground— because out of it were you taken. For dust you are, and to dust you shall return.”

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Days Won:  1

46 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

There is an interesting study on the reason for Paul's instruction: 2Th 3:10  For even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “If anyone is unwilling to work, he shall not eat.”

Slibhin has already been given that same scripture by me upstream, and she has even quoted it back to me. I won't rise to the bait, again. At one season in time, I and my young family back then were on the receiving end of charity. I understood then why God said it's better to give than receive.  I have known what it is to work  hard and still need to depend upon God to meet our families need. And He did, every time.  Need not be lectured by one so sure of herself.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

32 minutes ago, Sower said:

Slibhin has already been given that same scripture by me upstream, and she has even quoted it back to me. I won't rise to the bait, again. At one season in time, I and my young family back then were on the receiving end of charity. I understood then why God said it's better to give than receive.  I have known what it is to work  hard and still need to depend upon God to meet our families need. And He did, every time.  Need not be lectured by one so sure of herself.

Yeah. Hardship is one thing, malingering another. 

Food banks here have systems to stop abuses of their charities by con-artists who visit multiple outlets and on-sell their haul to pay for drugs.

Paul exhorts us to dissociate from fraudsters and deceivers, calling out disorderliness in ekklesias.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Sometimes, we just don't know. Over the years living and working in the "war zone" of this city, I've had the opportunity to discover the circumstances of the many desperate people who inhabit this area. It helps that I was desperate for many years myself, so I don't judge others by virtue of their estate. However, there is indeed a cycle at work here, and that's something the nonprofit I work for is here to contend with.

Properly discussing that cycle would take a long time to address, so I'll use general terms to do that for those who are interested. Here in Albuquerque, the issue is manifold:

We have gainfully employed people who cannot afford housing. Some live out of their vehicles, using homeless shelters as places to bathe. Others live in homeless camps. Some come to us for help in acquiring affordable housing. We can indeed help with that. 

Then, there are those who were laid off and, having lost their housing (thus an address), cannot find work due to lacking an address. An address is a requirement for most kinds of employment. These constitue the majority of our clients. We provide our clients with an address... we furnish whatever proof of residency our clients require (typically a letter)... all the while providing them with a safe place to rest their head. 

(Their address is my office :laugh:)

We have connections, my friends. Staff from the workforce commission visit our program weekly. We host job fairs on a regular basis. We help clients acquire a CDL, heavy equipment operator certification, and so forth. Some of our clients are going to school online (we provide internet). 

The goal: to help our clients get back on their feet and end the cycle. That cycle is hard indeed, and this is why the Lord blesses our work here. 

@Marathoner The enemy pushes back, but we keep walking by faith, and waring with spiritual weapons.

Tit 3:12-15  When I send Artemas to you, or Tychicus, be diligent to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there.  (13)  Send Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their journey with haste, that they may lack nothing.  (14)  And let our people also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent needs, that they may not be unfruitful.  (15)  All who are with me greet you. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,312
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

It would be good to provide an example of how a client used his time in our program to great advantage. 

When he came to us, he was in a hard place indeed. Tremendous debt hung over his head, debts that made it impossible to house himself. He proceeded to acquire two jobs, pumping his income into resolving those debts. He acquired an affordable automobile along the way. 

It wasn't long before he paid it all off. His next step: saving as much as possible to afford a down-payment on a house. Being a military vet, he took advantage of a VA home loan. We know the VA well... many of us are vets ourselves. There's another place where we have connections. 

When he managed to land a secure and well-paying job, he searched the housing market and found a home not far from his employer. We extended this client's stay in our program so he could pull it off. It was an honor to help this hard-working young fellow turn things around and break that cycle. :)

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 2
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,028
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,369
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

12 hours ago, NConly said:

Just for clarification for @Slibhin

I believe the above verse is referring to able-bodied people that refuse to work.   It's not meaning the poor in unfortunate circumstances, nor the ill, nor the elderly.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1