• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

Yesterday my wife brought up an article she was reading related to the Southern Baptists' ruling to ban woman from being in certain leadership positions.  It stated they are looking to put into their rules that woman cannot be pastors, but this evidently needs voted on by some official church committee before it becomes official. 

I've not thought about it that much. However, I know people with strong views on both sides of this issue . . .

From what I know, Paul is the main one speaking about this in the New Testament.  In our little fellowship group, various brothers give the message on Sunday, but we also are greatly edified when various sisters stand to testify and share what they have too (before and after the main message).

I'm looking for spiritual wisdom here, not what the tide of the world would have us think. So what are the views of Worthy members on this - based on scriptural understanding

Edited by Vine Abider
Change title to reflect "leadership" question

Here's an article I found addressing this: https://www.9marks.org/article/must-women-be-silent-in-churches/

The article compares 1 Corinthians 14:34 with verse 11:5 in that same epistle. The latter verse clearly shows women are praying and prophesying in the assembly.

"What is going on in these verses? Does Paul really mean to say that women must never say anything in a worship service? That is how some people have read these verses over the years, but I think that is a misreading of the text. Why? For starters, it would create a hopeless contradiction with what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 11:5, which indicates that women were “praying and prophesying” in the church. Paul doesn’t rebuke their praying and prophesying in church. On the contrary, he gives them instructions on how to do it in the right way—in a way that allows them to speak but that at the same time honors male headship."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  0

Im not one that approves women Preachers. I do believe women can teach in church and imo hold high positions,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.66
  • Days Won:  1

Looking at the larger picture, God created both Men and Women and intended different roles for each of them.

But we live in a different time now, a time where men can be women and women can be men.

Has God changed his mind?

Should we hang on to the old, Should we grab on to the new?

This is not a light decision to be making, and one that should involve serious consideration before answering.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Vine Abider said:

Yesterday my wife brought up an article she was reading related to the Southern Baptists' ruling to ban woman from being in certain leadership positions.  It stated they are looking to put into their rules that woman cannot be pastors, but this evidently needs voted on by some official church committee before it becomes official. 

I've not thought about it that much. However, I know people with strong views on both sides of this issue . . .

From what I know, Paul is the main one speaking about this in the New Testament.  In our little fellowship group, various brothers give the message on Sunday, but we also are greatly edified when various sisters stand to testify and share what they have too (before and after the main message).

I'm looking for spiritual wisdom here, not what the tide of the world would have us think. So what are the views of Worthy members on this - based on scriptural understanding

What does the Bible say about this topic?

20 minutes ago, angels4u said:

What does the Bible say about this topic?

The article cited in my 2nd post goes over much of the new testament scripture I think (1 Cor 11:2-16 & 14:34, Acts 2:17, 1 Tim 2:11-15)  And unless there's something I'm missing, in these verses Paul advocates women speaking in the assembly, but just not in matters of authoritative teaching or leadership so as to preserve the natural headship of men in the body of Christ.

Is that your take?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

The article cited in my 2nd post goes over much of the new testament scripture I think (1 Cor 11:2-16 & 14:34, Acts 2:17, 1 Tim 2:11-15)  And unless there's something I'm missing, in these verses Paul advocates women speaking in the assembly, but just not in matters of authoritative teaching or leadership so as to preserve the natural headship of men in the body of Christ.

Is that your take?

That's my take also,women can do lots of things in the church but the Bible states clearly that there is an order:

God

Man

Women

Instructions to Women
11A woman must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, and then Eve.…1 Tim2-12

• Well Said! 1

15 minutes ago, angels4u said:

That's my take also,women can do lots of things in the church but the Bible states clearly that there is an order:

God

Man

Women

Instructions to Women
11A woman must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, and then Eve.…1 Tim2-12

That's how I see it too.  There is an order in the administration of God's house.  He puts this in place so that everyone in the household is supplied with what they need, and are properly covered.  In this order is how the flow of life and supply can reach all as needed. 

For instance, in a human household the children are best protected and cared for under the headship of their parents.  This order is there as a matter of love for them.  If they step outside of that order, they may not be protected and cared for properly.  Love is the foundation, but the needed authority is also clear.  God, in His loving wisdom, does the some regarding the body of Christ.

In this age of the blurring of gender lines, this divine order gets attacked (both in the family & the church). But I see it not as a matter of equality, but rather of roles/natural function.

• Vine Abider changed the title to Woman Leading in the Congregation?

33 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

That's how I see it too.  There is an order in the administration of God's house.  He puts this in place so that everyone in the household is supplied with what they need, and are properly covered.  In this order is how the flow of life and supply can reach all as needed. 

For instance, in a human household the children are best protected and cared for under the headship of their parents.  This order is there as a matter of love for them.  If they step outside of that order, they may not be protected and cared for properly.  Love is the foundation, but the needed authority is also clear.  God, in His loving wisdom, does the some regarding the body of Christ.

In this age of the blurring of gender lines, this divine order gets attacked (both in the family & the church). But I see it not as a matter of equality, but rather of roles/natural function.

All the rebellion we see goes all back  to the garden of Eden,Satan is still fighting to destroy the family and creation God created . God created  us  male and female,he knows the Bible better then we do and knows his time is getting very short before Jesus will come back as Lord of Lords and Kings of King,what a day that will be!  Keep your eyes on what is happening in Israel ,they soon will make a treaty with many,just what the Bible foretold.

• Praise God! 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,975
  • Content Per Day:  5.42
  • Days Won:  45
  • Birthday:  01/25/1961

God made men and women different.  Here is some verses I collected on the topic and they speak for themselves.

What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. "But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. - Mark 10:6

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, - Matthew 19:4

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.  the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. - Ephesians 5: 22-23

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; - 1 Peter 3:1

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. - Colossians 3:18

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1